[HC] Malygos, The Spell-Weaver

Currently we have 3 of the WC dragons in the game (4 including Sindragosa, who should be added as her own hero, but that’s a discussion for another thread). I personally believe that Malygos would make a fine addition to the game, and I have been speculating on how he could be added. Here’s my idea, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Malygos: Melee Bruiser

Stats:

• Health: 2400

• Attack Damage: 135 (biting/clawing)

• Attack Speed: 0,85

• Attack Range: 2

• Mana: 500

(Trait) Might Of The Spell-Weaver:

Every 4 seconds, Malygos’ next Basic Attacks range is increased by 5,5 and deals Spell Damage instead of Physical Damage, and restores 5% of his maximum mana if it hits an enemy hero. Additionally, whenever he spends mana he gains shields equal to 200% of the mana spent. These shields decay at a rate equal to 0,5% of his maximum health per second, when he hasn’s spent any mana for 3 seconds.
(Edit: Cooldown is increased to 6 seconds.)

(Q) Arcane Breath: 20 mana per second, 4 seconds CD

After 0,5 second, Malygos breathes a stream of arcane energy in a straight line. The line follows the cursor within a cone in front of Malygos. The breath deals 35 Damage to all enemies in the area every 0,25 second, and reduces heroes’ Spell Power and Spell Armor by 3% for 5 seconds, stacking up to 10 times. After its duration, heroes affected explode dealing 15 damage for each stack.

• EDIT: Mana cost is changed to 4% of his maximum mana per seconds, Damage reduced to for every mana spent, it doesn’t reduce Spell Power, and Damage of the explotion at the end of the duration reduced to 10 per stack.

(W) Arcane Rain: 25% Malygos’ current mana, 10 seconds CD

Malygos releases a barrage of slow-moving arcane missiles split equally among all enemies, but prioritises the closest. Malygos creates 1 missile for every 15 mana spent (increasing according to level), and they each deal 45 Damage to their targets.

• EDIT: Missiles only travel a curtain distance away from Malygos, at which point they disapear. Their Damage is reduced up to 50% depending on the distance they travel before hitting their targets.

(E) Magic Flow: 20 mana per second, 3 seconds CD

Malygos’ Spell Damage and Spell Armor are increased by 1% for every 10 mana he has (increasing according to level). Activate to grant half of this benefit to all nearby allied heroes.

(R ) Vortex Blitz: 100 mana, 90 seconds CD

Fire a bead of arcane energy to a target location. It explodes once it arrives at its destination, pulling all nearby enemy heroes to it and dealing damage to them equal to 15% of their maximum health.

(R ) Arcane Detonation: 60 mana, 120 seconds CD

After Malygos channels for 1 second, the target enemy hero’s mana is depleted at a rate of 20% of their maximum mana per second. Once they run out of mana they explode, taking 2 points of damage for each point of mana consumed, and dealing half as much to nearby enemies.

• EDIT: Rework: Malygos channels for 1,5 seconds, applying Arcane Detonation to an enemy hero. For 5 seconds, whenever the target uses an ability, it explodes taking 125 Damage and dealing 75% of the amount to all nearby enemies, and consume 10% of the targets mana. Whenever the target explodes the duration is increased by 0,5 second. If the target dies while under the effect, it explodes, dealig 300 Damage to all nearby enemies. Activatable abilities count as the use of an ability every second they are active.

(Z) Flight: 12 seconds CD

After 2,5 seconds, Malygos flies of the ground, gaining 40% extra Movement Speed and the ability to pass over terrain. While active, he is unstoppable and can see over terrain, but taking damage equal to 25% of his maximum health within 4 seconds makes him crash and stuns him for 1,5 second. Reactivate to land after 1 second.

Talents:

Level 1

• (!Passive) Gather Power: Regeneration Globes permanently increases Malygos’ maximum mana by 1%.
    (Edit: Mana increase per Regeneration Globe is reduced to 0,75%)

• (Trait) Powerflow: Might Of The Spell-Weaver’s mana recovery in increased by 100%.
    (Clarification: It only doubles the mana gained.)

• (!Passive) Stockpile: For every 200 mana Malygos has spens, his base mana recovery is increased by 25%.

Level 4

• (Trait) Arcane Blast: When Might Of The Spell-Weaver empowers a Basic Attack, it also makes it deal 100% of the damage i the area around the target.

Level 7

• (D - Trait) Mana Shield: Malygos’ trait can now be activated to spend all his mana, and gain 50 armor for 5 seconds. Has 20 seconds cooldown.
    Passive: The amount of shields gained when spending mana is increased by an additional 100% of the mana spent.
    (Edit: The armor is increased to 75, and Malygos recovers 100% of the mana spent over 10 seconds. The cooldown is increased to 30 seconds.)

• (Passive) Hindering Storm: Whenever Malygos hits an enemy hero with a Basic Attack empowered by Migth of the Spell-Weaver, he gains 1 stack of Hindering Storm, stacking up to 4. For each stack he reduces the movement speed of all nearby enemies by 10%, and at 4 stacks he also steals 1% of all affected enemy heroes maximum mana per seconds. Hindering Storm lasts for 9 seconds, and is reset upon hitting an enemy hero with a Basic Attack empowered by Might of the Spell-Weaver.
    (Edit: Renamed to Grasp Of Coldarra.)

Level 10

• (R ) Vortex

• (R ) Arcane Detonation

Level 13

• (E) Arcane Might: Magic flow also grants an Attack Damage bonus equal to the Spell Power and Spell Armor bonus.

• (Z) Dragonflight: Flight is replaced by Dragonflight, which has a 45 seconds cooldown, which is instantly refreshed at the Hall Of Storms. Upon activation Malygos takes to the sky and removes all negative effects after a 3 seconds delay, during which he is unstoppable. While active, he is invulnerable, untargetable and he recovers 1% of his maximum health and 2,5% of his maximum mana per second, and he can use Farsight every 20 seconds, which reveals the targeted area for 5 seconds. Malygos can land again anywhere on the map he has vision after an 8 seconds delay.

Level 16

• (W) Penetrating Strikes: When a missile from Arcane Rain hits a hero, the hero takes bonus Damage equal to 2% of their maximum health.
    (Edit: Renamed to Arcane Hail ;P)

• (Trait) Empowered Arcana: When Might Of The Spell-Weaver empowers a Basic Attack, the attack also deals bonus damage equal to 0,05% of the targets maximum health, for every 5 mana Molygos possesses (increasing according to level).

• (Passive) Alexstrasza’s Gift: Increase Malygos’ maximum health by 350 (increasing according to level), and Malygos’ base health regeneration is incread by 4% for every 1% health he is missing.
    (Edit: Rework: (Active) Blessing Of The Blue: Activate to grant an allied hero 20% increased Spell Power, which stacks with other benefits, until they die. This has a 60 seconds, and only 2 heroes can have this blessing at a time.)

Level 20

• (R ) Aftermath: For 5 seconds after the Vortex Blitz explodes, it can be reactivated, pulling all heroes who have left its area of effect back to its center, dealing damage to them equal to 15% of their maximum health.
    (Edit: Reactivation duration reduced to 4 seconds, and damage reduced to 10% of the targets maximum health.)

• (R ) Arcane Drain: Arcane Detonation also depletes the mana of other heroes while they are near the primary target. This extra mana also contributes the the damage of the explosion.
    (Edit: Spell-Weaver’s Ire: Arcane Detonation now applies Arcana Detonation to all enemy heroes hit by the explotion when the target is killed.)

• (Trait) Magic Adept: Might Of The Spell-Weaver is now active on all of Malygos’ Basic Attacks.
    (Edit: Might of the Spell-Weavers cooldown is instead reduced to 3 seconds.)

• (Active) Aspect Of Magic: Activate to regain all spent mana. This has a 60 seconds cooldown.
    Passive: Whenever Malygos spends mana he is healed for a amount equal to the mana spent.
    (Edit: Rework: (Active): Activate to restore 50% of Malygos’ maximum mana over 4 seconds. This has a 60 seconds cooldown.

• (Z)(requires Dragonflight) Devastating Breath: While Dragonflight is active, Malygos can use Devastating Breath, which cost 100 mana per second and has a 3 seconds cooldown. 1 second after activating a stream of arcane energy is fired onto the ground somewhere Malygos has vision. The stream follows the cursor with a 1 second delay and deals 30 Damage every 0,25 second in its area. Whenever an enemy hero takes Damage from this, their Spell Armor is reduced by 3%, up to 30%, for 5 seconds. The mana cost does not generate shields and Malygos does not recover mana while this is active.
    Passive: Mana and health regeneration during Dragon flight are increased by 50%.
    (Edit: Using Devastating Breath sets Descend (land) on a 20 seconds cooldown, and stops his mana regeneration for 8 seconds.

3 Likes

Malygos is my favorite Aspect, he always has been but, I think this version you’ve made for him is WAY too strong.
Firstly, isn’t Arcane Breath simply a Strictly better version of Deathwing’s breath? Not only does it reduce Spell Power & Armor, but it also Shields him because of his Trait. AND then they explode!
Additionally, unlike Deathwing, Malygos can be healed and shielded to aid to his already high Survive-ability.
But moving on we are going to bring up Arcane Rain really quick, which is super cool but it is easy to see that it will be super problematic.
(Time for some MATH)
So Arcane Rain creates 1 missile for every 15 mana spent, and he starts at 500 mana. Typically by level 20 that would mean he would end with 690 maximum mana. It costs 25% of his Mana meaning that at maximum it would fire 11 shots. (25% of 690 is 172.5/15 is 11 missiles X 45 damage is 495 damage) Oof that’s alot for a basic ability, however the real insanity is when we see what happens when it is used after his next ability.
Magic Flow is where things get really Crazy. If you use it as your first ability, 1% increase Damage for every 10 mana he has. At level 20, that’s 690 mana which means a STAGGERING 69% Damage increase. Remember the math from Arcane Rain? So 69% boost to 495 damage is 836.55, almost 850 damage.
And that’s from his Base Abilities!! That’s as powerful as most ultimate abilities.
If this were to remain as is in a base ability kit he would Decimate an enemy team. Especially if they are clustered from say a Zarya or Zagara Ult. (As you wouldn’t want to cluster them yourself from Vortex Blitz since that would sacrifice your Ludicrous Damage due to Mana Loss)
But you could cast those two, and then follow up with a Vortex Blitz into an Arcane Breath and its T.K.O for the enemy team, no chance of survival.
(And this isn’t even factoring the further insanity that is Gather Power trait, I didn’t even look at the rest of the traits to already know that it’s an instant game over)

All in all, you are SPOT ON for flavor, I almost wouldn’t change his kit at all, the fact that his abilities are either channeled or based on % Mana are extremely flavorful for Malygos.
But the numbers on how this are balanced would have to change, at this point he is almost unkillable due to the shielding and assistance he can gain from his team. And he would be just a Steam Roller that punishes any team for ever thinking they could DARE to fight him, reducing them to Arcane Dust.

If Malygos had a Zarya and Zagara to help cluster enemy teams, and a Malfurion to Innervate him to keep his mana up and reduce their healing when clustered by rooting. Oof you wouldn’t even need a final teammate. You will win constantly 4v5.

I knew that had overdone it a bit when I made it, but I didn’t realize that it was to this extend. His damage should totally be lowered, specifically for the Arcane Breath and Arcabe Rain, and some talents might be a bit off as well, but i still think the Gather Power talent should be there in some way, shape or form. I really wouldn’t want to change Magic Flow or his trait though. I’d also like to hear some feedback on Flight considdering that it’s a bit more useful than the average mount. (Also, Arcane Breath would be about as long as DWs breath, maybe a bit shorter, but not as wide. I also considdered that you should be able to outrun the Arcane Rain.)

I didn’t want to sound harsh I just thought it crucial to point out how unstoppable this version of Malygos was.
I don’t think Width is the major problem on Arcane Breath due to the fact that both his and Deathwing’s would be the widths of their mouths (assuming Malygos is meant to be in Dragon form which by this forum it seems yes he would).
The issue was the reduction of spell power and spell armor on top of giving him a shield. If you want to balance Arcane Breath my suggestion would be removing the reduction of Spell Power but you can keep the Spell Armor reduction so long as you shorten the length of the breath to make it shorter than Deathwing’s.
Again, I didn’t look at the talents other than Gather Power which I agree is a good talent but with how the other abilities work it couldn’t possibly stay for the godly level of damage. Though if you want I can take a look at them too and give some feedback.
Arcane Rain as long as it can be outrun and is CLEARLY telegraphed where it will land will improve it. However, the numbers would still have to be tweaked, since there should be no ability if you just so happen to not dodge it or can’t due to stun or snares. That you just instantly die.
In regards to Flight I did not specifically address it because it seemed perfectly fine as is. If I would say anything I would tweak it to 20% of his health since even at lvl 1 you would have to deal 600 damage to him (25% of 2400) before he is out of range (which, when he is moving at 40% movement speed thats like 2 seconds before he is too far to damage and knock down)
I did fail to mention one other thing that would need to be changed though, I was much too focused on the core abilities, and that is his ultimate Arcane Detonation.
It’s another problematic ability because there are two situations here. One where it is useless because your opponent is someone who doesn’t use mana, which is actually a good amount of Heroes (Valeera, Cho’gall, Abathur, Auriel, Murky, The Lost Vikings, Samuro, Sonya, Illidan, Fenix, Tracer, Junkrat, & D.VA) to which one ultimate should never be completely worthless.
And the Second more common issue, is that it is completely not fun to play against when it can affect a Hero. You walk into a Team fight, the enemy Malygos Detonates your healers’ Mana and Bam! Your healer can not heal and your team will lose the fight. It’s a total shutdown mechanic, taking one Hero out of the fight entirely which is just an annoyance to encounter and if you are the one targeted you can’t enjoy your Hero since you can’t use any abilities.
But I wouldn’t just knock it down without a suggestion for how you can make it usable. Arcane Detonation can work if you make it something the enemy can avoid the full brunt of, make it more skill related. So instead of removing 100% of their mana over 5 seconds. It should deal the explosion damage, and sure even remove mana if you truly want to keep that (not 20% that’s too much, perhaps smaller increment like 10%) but it should only occur per ability the hero attempts to use, channeled abilities continuing to Blow Up for the channel time.
This way if you target a hero, they can do the smart thing and not cast any abilities for 5 seconds and be fine. Or if they really need to, cast a couple but not go overboard or risk destruction.
This way, an unskilled player or player unfamiliar to fighting Malygos may attempt to help their team and use abilities, blowing themselves and their teammates up as they do so.
And even more satisfying, if you have a skilled Malygos, he can just erase an unprepared player. Say a Fenix uses his Planet Cracker, if Malygos puts his Arcane Detonation on him, the Fenix could end up killing himself if he doesn’t cancel the ability as it keeps exploding as he channels it. The same goes for a Diablo’s Lightning Breath and so on.
This way, the ultimate would be Frustrating for an enemy to play against. However, it would not be Annoying which is a key difference. One can be played around with good timing and observation, the other can not and just makes you want to avoid playing against a Malygos at all.
I hope this input has been helpful. Again, most flavorful take on Malygos, I may have a lot of critics but that is because I see potential in this version of Malygos. It’s just a diamond in the rough.

I made some changes according to your feedback, and it would be nice if you could take a look at the talents. I personally like when there’s the option of making various diverse builds, usually including a Basic Attack build. Also, there is still room for a lot of talents, so I take suggestions.
Since you would have the ability to redirect the aoe-line in which Arcane Breath deals Damage, I think it would make sense for the line to be thinner rather than shorter, though both are options.
And in regards to Arcane Breath and Magic Flow, should I make them cost persentage of max mana? That way their effect on his trait wouldn’t decrease as the game progressed. And regaurding this, there is a thing I probably should clearify: The amount of mana it costs per missile from Arcane Rain would increase with his manapool. If you gain a 4% increas in mana every level, the cost of missiles would increase with 4% aswell. This way the only way to actually increase the amount of missiles created would be to increase his maximum mana using talents. I doubt that gaining 30% more mana would be the end of the world, but that’s for the world to decide I guess. I’m also considdering these talents.
Magic Flow: A talent that makes Magic Flow increase Basic Attack range of all attacks with a range of a minimum of 3. It would probably only grant half as much as the other benefits
Trait: An aura-talent. Dunno if it should be Damage, a debuff og some kind of mana-leaching.
!Trait (level 1): Whenever Malygos spends mana his passive mana recovery increases a curtain persentage. I don’t think it will be much of a problem if this can stack indeffinently.

Btw, Diamods are overrated to an extend (there are ofc some really rare kinds). Since it is Malygos we’re talking about, wouldn’t a saphire be more fitting? (Let’s make him a talent called something with that ;D)

Forget the Sapphire, just call it what his loot table was back in Lich King, Alexstraza’s Gift.

Oh I hadn’t realized you could redirect Arcane Breath, oof it’s even better then. Thinner would be nicer if you can redirect it then, more similar to Li Mings ultimate.
The major issue with those two spells isn’t that they don’t cost %Mana its that they do too much damage or make Malygos too strong. Changing their cost wouldn’t help unless you made it so costly that you could only cast it a few times, but that just wouldn’t be fun so that doesn’t work either.
However if the cost of Arcane Rain increases per level as well, then it should work just fine. The issue is at the flat cost you initially presented he would be firing off a volley that would disintegrate his enemies. But if the amount stayed relatively the same without taking talents to increase his mana pool then it’s fine.
If you care to make an Aura-Talent whether it be damage or mana-leeching then you need to make sure its got a relatively long cooldown, at least 20 seconds. And it only lasts for a few moments, maximum of 5 seconds (unless there is some sort of feedback, like auto-attacking increases the duration by .5 seconds or something). There are no other buffs in HotS that last indefinitely and that’s intentional, you can get them pretty high but if they could go on forever then it becomes easy to abuse.

Now looking at the Traits…

• Gather Power is fine with the changes we discussed.

• Powerflow is also fine but you need a period of time that it lasts, even Innervate doesnt fully restore Mana so if it increases Mana Recovery by 100% it either has to have a Long Cooldown OR you need to make it a channeled ability that if damage it stops, OR the Mana Recovery only lasts for a few moments so he can’t regain all of his Mana.

• Arcane Blast is fine, as long as the area of damage isn’t too large, though you need more options to be presented so that’s not the only direction to take at lvl 4.

• Mana Shield confuses me a bit, are both the passive and the active ability together? If so how do you gain more shields when you just spent all your mana, because your shields from Might of the Spell-weaver are directly tied to your Mana spent on ability damage, and you can’t do ability damage without Mana.
    Additionally, spending all your mana for 50 armor is terrible. You would never want to do that. 50 armor isn’t invulnerability and it leaves you vulnerable after the 5 seconds because you can no longer fight without your mana. My suggestion for it’s improvement is to have No Cooldown, and have the amount of armor gained directly related to 10%Mana per use.
    (10%Mana==10 Armor, 20% Mana ==20 Armor, and so on)
    That way it has more versatility, you can dictate how much mana you want to spend on Armor based on how many times you click your D key. You can drop all your Mana for 100% armor for 5 seconds which is something you might want to do. Those 5 seconds buy you time to fly away and you can’t be knocked down because you have 100% armor.

• Arcane Might is too powerful for the same reason those other abilities were too powerful when I first pointed it out. Remember, he can get up to 69% from his base Mana alone at max level without talents from Magic Flow. So that’s hitting way too hard for an autoattack. Not to mention when he get’s Might of the Spellweaver every 4 seconds. So every 4 seconds, you do Spell damage, not Physical damage.
    So:
    (Spell damage from Arcane Might/Magic Flow + Spell Damage from Might of the Spellweaver == every 4 seconds you delete a Hero with just an autoattack.)
    In my opinion this talent just isn’t needed. A smart Malygos Player if he wants to go Autoattack build will just use Magic Flow every time Might of the Spellweaver is up. That’s more than enough damage.

• Penetrating Strikes is just fine, no changes needed. Though I would rename it to Arcane Hail or Hailstorm. Fits more into the flavor of the original abilities name.

• Empowered Arcana WAY TOO POWERFUL. Remember, without talents Malygos will reach up to 690 Mana. (.05% health damage X Maximum Mana -> .05X690==34.5% Health Damage) In one auto attack you deal More than a Third of your enemies Health. Devastating talent, obvious pick over Penetrating Strikes everytime as it does god level damage. Best way to fix this, is to increase the Basic Attack Range by perhaps .5 more (since 5.5 is already a range attack, he will be able to hit the backlines) and then give him a Static shield, perhaps a flat amount of like 200 health. So every 4 seconds if he hits an enemy Hero with his auto attack he gets a 200 health shield, that’s fair. OR instead of the Static shield, you can give it lifesteal for that one particular autoattack. That would also be acceptable.

• Aftermath would immediately make it superior to Gazlowe’s Gravobomb 3000 because if you can recast it there’s no chance for escape once you get caught. But it gets worse since you didn’t dictate a max distance. Without a max it’s a Chromie Temporal Loop + Gazlowe Gravobomb which is OP OP. The acceptable lvl 20 buffs for Ultimates like Gazlowe’s and Zaryas that pull people in, are either a larger radius that it pulls people in, a shorter cooldown, or increased damage upon impact. If none of those three options are to your liking, you can also Consecrate the ground after the explosion (periodic damage over time) for a few moments after the explosion.

• Arcane Drain could never exist, just as Arcane Detonation could never exist as you originally described it. You didn’t comment on my critique of Arcane Detonation on your last post, but it would have to be removed or something along the lines of what I changed it to because that ultimate, and subsequently this talent are unfair and not fun for Malygos’ enemies.

• Magic Adept could not exist either. Might of the Spell-Weaver is already strong especially if you amplify it as I stated earlier with Magic Flow. As this talent currently stands it is the obvious best choice, you would never choose anything else. You become ranged with a fairly decent reach and just obliterate people with the Highest Damage Autoattacks in the game.

• Aspect of Magic would be a strong number 2 choice as it is also broken overpowered. Regaining all your Mana once a minute, not even Wells can do that with an Innervate not to mention all your abilities having a built in Heal? No, he would never die. The only way to save this ability, is to completely remove the passive, that is way too strong. Then you have to still Nerf the Mana Regeneration, the most acceptable way is to reduce it to a maximum of 50% Mana restored (and that’s still being generous) on top of the ability needing to be channeled. That way it can be interrupted through either damage or Crowd Control. An unstoppable 50% Max Mana restoration or more is too good.

I hope you can take these critiques into consideration and not give up. He has potential but remember Malygos is an Aspect, not a God haha.

The breath would only be redirectable in a cone in from of him. Regarding the manacost it wasn’t my intention to make it “not fun”, but instead keep the trait throughout the game. It the en it would only be Arcane Rain that could give him proper shields. I will not change the E now that I think about it. It shouldn’t be a mana drain. But the Q would be 4-5% per second, and the damage would change accordingly.
I think it should be a slowing aura, granting a stack of 10% slow whenever Malygos hits an enemy with Might of the Spell-Weaver, stacking ut to 4 times. At full stacks it could have a mana drain equal to 1% of all affacted enemie’s mana per second. It should last for about 6 seconds, being reset upon gaining a stack. If the CD of Migh of the Spell-Weaver is increased to 6 or 8 (I mention that later) the auras duration should also be a relativ 9 or 12 seconds i think.

The following are responses to your talent-critique in order.

• Powerflow isn’t to restore 100% of Malygos’ mana instead it doubles the amount restore by his trait. I should probably have phrased that better…
  • I don’t think you have thought Mana Shield completely through. Since he consumes all of his mana he gains shiels equal to 200% of the amount spent, plus an additional 100%. At max mana that’s above 1500 shields, which are effectively doubled by his 50 armor. Be might not be able to use any abilities, but he will probably survive. Another thing i should probably mention would be that Flight only crashes when it’s his HEALTH that is reduce by 25% in 4 seconds.
  • Quick thing to point out as well: Much like with Arcane Rain all other abilities with the “(increases according to level)” in them also do not grow in power as the game goes on. If he doesn’t have any talents that increases his maximum mana, his buffs will stay at 50% the entire game, which with an attack speed of 0,85 and a base attack damage of 135 isn’t the end of the world. (please share your thoughts).
  • Uhhh, good one!
  • Considdering that I’m attending a technical school, where math is roughly 50% of what we do, it’s kinda embarrassing that I did the math wrong. I’ll make sure to correct it, and again, “(increases according to level)”. Though I do want to keep it as a “persentage Damage” talent. Maybe we could add one with the lifesteal/shield as a different talent?
    (Edit: Wait a sec… i didn’t do the math wrong, you just missread something I think.)
  • The idea was that they do have to leave the area to be affect again, forcing them to stay in the fight essentially, thoug i do se where you’re coming from. I’ll reduce it to 4 seconds and the damage to 10%. (Please share your thoughts).
  • You probably didn’t notice this, but I made an “EDIT” label at all the places i made changes. Specifically regarding Arcane Drain and Arcane Detonation I wrote an edit reworking them according to your feedback. I also kept the original to see where they came from.
  • I see where you’re coming from. I’ll probably make it so that Might of th Spell-Weaver is activated whenever you use an ability as well instead, or lowe it to 3 seconds. I also have a question regarding this: should it be every 6 or 8 seconds instead? This way it would make sense to just halve the cooldown.
  • Right, I’ll reduce it to 50% of 4 seconds.

I preffer to start BIG and then narrow it down when I have these kinds of ideas. Don’t worry about the critique, that’s the only way to improve :wink:
(I also added Stockpile(1), Hindering Storm(7), Dragonflight(13), Alexstrasza’s Gift(16) and Devastating Breath(20) as talents. If you have any ideas for talents, please do tell.

Been busy so haven’t been able to check back in a while. No I understood Mana Shield but I still wouldn’t opt for it personally. It’s essentially a temporary invulnerability but you are still susceptible to Crowd Control, so if you get stun locked or Slowed/Rooted continuously you won’t escape before they rip through that shield. So you don’t wanna use it at the start since you can’t help your team, but if you use it at the end to escape if there are enough people still alive on the enemy team you won’t get away. It’s fairly easy for a focused team to shred through 1500 shields even with 50 armor. I personally would never take it when Hindering Storm is just good always, not OP but its good, reliable.
I personally would rename Hindering Storm since the name makes it seem affiliated to Arcane Rain/Hail. Perhaps something like Icy Talons or Grasp of Coldarra since those revolve around hands == autoattack.

Dragonflight is a good addition to lvl 13 btw.
Alexstrasza’s Gift though iconic to the loot table at Malygos’ death, as it currently is, doesn’t fit his theme. If you wanted to keep this name it should be a talent related to when he dies, like how the loot table shows up when you defeat him in the Eye of Eternity.
If you didn’t want to make it connected to his death, then I would consider perhaps a trait that increases a targeted Ally’s maximum Mana and/or Mana regeneration (as Alexstraza has a talent that increases maximum Health). But of course if you wen’t down this route you should probably rename it. Perhaps to the Focusing Iris which is the Orb in the center that has been involved in a few plotlines of World of Warcraft.
Infestive Bomb is a nice new talent. But the name sounds something Scourgelike. I would suggest something like Uncontained Magic or Spellweaver’s Ire.
Devastating Breath is great though you should make it more punishing to use it for Malygos. With the passive increase in Mana & Health regeneration, it may have a 3 second cooldown, but you would regain much if not all of the Mana you just spent on the breath by the time you cast it again. I think you should change it to once he uses it, it completely stops the Mana & Health regeneration. That way Malygos has to be patient and use it only when he needs to, or if he has the Mana to spare and just wants to harass the enemy team. As is there isnt really a downside to just using the breath whenever it’s ready.

But good job overall, you’ve tweaked him into a fair Hero when he already was an interesting one. I would love to see this Malygos in HotS, so everyone can experience “a taste…just a small taste…of the SPELL-WEAVER’S POWER!!!”
-Mage Lord Urom

I appreciate the thr critique and I will make changes accordingly. There are still room for 4-5 talents, so please do share if yo have suggestions.
In regards to Alexstrasza’s gift, I felt that it was a chance to give him a sorta differen’t option, but if you don’t think it fits the theme then I’ll look into it.
I’ll probrably just buff Mana Shield.

Mana Shield just needs some tweaking to make it a viable choice when up against the sturdy Grasp of Coldarra. I’ve offered my suggestion before on how to make it more versatile but if it’s not to your liking I’m sure you’ll think of a solution.
Hmm talent suggestions? I don’t have any really atm but I could give it some thought.

Android,I remember that you say to me: i do useless comment about only my want and also i think that i am just a player of Hots and so i am a selfish man…
What is it boy? Is it not a want for yourself(Malygos)
How many paper do you use for posting this comment? So am i only a wanter of hero?are you sure if this hero created,it is for all player of Hots?or just for a few ppl like as it’s creator and mover?
If your suggest is usefull and it is a public utility,why mine is not it?
I do suggest for hero,i dont want anything for my self,it is for all,when i suggest for a hero,i dont should think that i am a very nice man or Hots is mine and so i ignore another ppl.
I hope every player of Hots will have a gaming company and create their wants!!
Anyway i have a note for this hero:
Your created hero is very combinated more than this DeathWing that we see.and i think this hero going for ban and this have more than 90% win rate.
We need more simple and usefull hero from every point like as skin,utility,Dynamicality، balancing and…
Anyway,thanks for suggest.

I think you missunderstood, I said that the other guy (to which my message was a reply) made a useless comment. His only point was that he was disappointed at something or whatever. Sorry if I worded it badly.
And in regards to your feedback. I personally believe that it isn’t much of an issue with the complexity or layers to the gameplay, as long as it is balanced, suits the theme and doesn’t drive every one mad. If we take Deathwing for examble, he has 2 different and a lot of different abilities, but he is reletively simple and he follows his theme. The Lost Vikings on the other han have 0 abilities, but they are still har play in a practical manner. For this Malygos the only actual thing you need to think about is that the more mana you have, the damage you do, and you can toggle the ability to share it with your allies on and off.

1 Like

Oh my dear brother,i am sorry for say bad to you at previose comment.i have many hard problems in my life that these create agitiation and fear to me and i am sad in life.
Sure,we wait for your suggest as a new hero of Hots but i think the next 3 heroes is not dragons.
Thanks for you and good luck.

It’s fine and I know that it will be a while before the next Dragon (though I do have a HC for Sindragosa ready)

I have fear and imagination,this cause me to accuse to you and i am sorry for this.
And in continue,i am hopping that your hero will be ready soon for Hots,but because of creating DW,we will not have Dragons for at least next 3 heroes.
This 2 subject is seprated from together.
Sure sindragosa is a nice hero for Hots and also i have a concept for it.

Then I’ll race you to it ;D

Oh,
I leave you to God,i hope you gain all of your wants in game.this where is a competive zone that every one try to collect his want.
At past,i want to leave this comunity but i wait because of some belief ;now i think this where is not a good place to earn it.
I want god to give ppl thier blessong as much as they want until they dont race together for it.
bb you and bb Heroes of storms comunity.

1 Like