[HC] Ivar, Packleader of the Bloodfang

Ivar Bloodfang was a primal worgen packleader from Silverpine Forest who was crucial in the war against Sylvanas. He later invaded Shadowfang Keep in order to kill the traitor Lord Godfrey. Ivar would appear as a primal worgen in the game, differentiating his model from Greymane.

In HotS, Ivar is a basic attack centered melee assassin who prioritizes taking jungle camps to empower himself over the course of the game. He has multiple tools to not only take camps effectively and efficiently, but also gank lanes and output large damage. Ivar synergizes well with attack speed granting allies.

Universe: Warcraft
Role: Melee Assassin

Running Wild
Z (Mount) – 4 sec Cooldown
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: This is just like a normal mount, but is special for Ivar, just like Alarak’s and Kel’thuzad’s.

Predator
Trait (30 sec Cooldown)
(Passive) Ivar deals 30% increased damage to mercenaries, and gains 15 Armor against mercenaries. In addition, when capturing a mercenary camp, Ivar gains a boost permanently. If he captured a Bruiser Camp, he gains 2.5% increased maximum health. If he captured a Siege Camp, he gains 10 Attack damage. If he captured a Boss Camp, all of his cooldowns are reduced by 1 second. If he captured a Reward Camp, his vision range is increased by 5%.
(Active) Ivar sets a neutral mercenary camp anywhere on the map as his prey for 30 seconds, revealing it to him during this time. If he captures the camp, he restores 15% of his maximum health and 30% of his maximum mana, as well as grants him 25% increased movement speed for 3 seconds. In addition, the camp’s respawn timer is reduced by 50%. Enemies can see the camp that Ivar has revealed.

Explanation: Predator makes Ivar’s primary goal hunting down mercenary groups across the map, becoming a somewhat dedicated “jungler,” a role that was lost in Heroes of the Storm. Predator offers Ivar infinite scaling as he performs his normal role, and the respawn hastening on Predator allows him to focus on one boost over others if he so desires. The mana and health regen, as well as the movement speed, allows him to gank or return to lane with minimal loss.

Feast Upon
Q (8 sec Recharge)
Ivar leaps to an enemy within 2.5 range and takes a bite out of them, dealing 135 (+4% per level) damage and healing himself for 50% of the damage dealt. This has two charges, and every basic attack on an enemy reduces its recharge by 1 second.

Explanation: Feast Upon is Ivar’s primary engage and healing tool. It’s moderate damage and healing if he can keep up the charges can give him strong sustain or burst damage/healing.

Terrifying Howl
W (14 sec Cooldown)
Ivar hesitates for .65 seconds before unleashing a mighty howl around him in 4 range, fearing all nearby enemies for 1 second. Enemy minions and mercenaries simply cower in fear for 3 seconds, becoming stunned. If Ivar hits at least two enemy mercenaries or heroes, he gains 40% increased attack speed for 4 seconds.

Explanation: Terrifying Howl is a moderately potent disruption that greatly empowers him if he is in the middle of the fray, granting him more attack speed for Feast Upon and Bloodbath.

Bloodbath
E (15 sec Cooldown)
Ivar cleaves in a 3 unit long, 180 degree cone, dealing 75 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and applying all on hit basic attack effects. If at least one enemy was hit, Ivar can use the ability again within 2 seconds, increasing the range by .5 and causing Ivar to dash a short way while using the ability. Ivar can continue using the ability, up to 6 reactivations. Each use has an internal cooldown of 1 second, which is reduced by attack speed. Cooldown starts when the ability can no longer be used again.

Explanation: Bloodbath translates Ivar’s strong basic attack nature to area damage and the ability to stick to enemies. While powerful, any disruption can end it quickly, and players can juke Ivar easily if he travels to far forward. This is most useful in tight corridors, and cannot travel through terrain.

Viciousness
Heroic #1 (50 sec Cooldown)
Ivar leaps to an enemy within 6 range, dealing 250 (+4% per level) damage to them and slowing them by 25% for 2 seconds. Ivar can continue to cast this as many times as wanted within 3 seconds, but he cannot target the same enemy twice. Minions and non-boss mercenaries are instantly killed.

Explanation: Viciousness is primarily a way to quickly clear lanes, or apply some moderate damage and disruption in a teamfight. If there are many enemies in the area, it is crucial to remember that travel time eats away at his 3 second timer, so plan your leaps carefully.

Eyes in the Dark
Heroic #2 (40 sec Cooldown)
Ivar instantly disappears from the game in a frightening howl after a 1 second delay (extended by .5 seconds for each instance of damage taken while charging, up to 5 seconds), revealing a constantly increasing radius, starting at 6 units and extending up to 25 over 6 seconds. Upon reactivation, or upon expiration, Ivar lashes out at all enemy heroes revealed in the area, dealing 370 (+4% per level) damage. 50% damage dealt heals Ivar. Every second the ability is channeled, the cooldown is increased by 15 seconds. After use, Ivar reappears at his cast location.

Explanation: Eyes in the Dark trades its generalist nature for a very powerful execution and scouting tool which can also be used to save his life. While he must plan for the delay, Ivar can heal for an incredible amount if he can hit multiple enemies, dealing a large chunk of damage to them as well.

Tier 1

• Lycanthropic Energy: Ivar uses Energy as a resource, which caps at 100 and regenerates quickly. In addition, all of Ivar’s basic cooldowns are decreased by 60%, but cost 40 energy to use. This cost is halved for Feast Upon and effects do not apply to Bloodbath.
• Moonridden Rage: Ivar uses Rage as a resource, which caps at 100, and generates 10 each time Ivar basic attacks, and 2 each time Ivar is damaged. Ivar can use his basic abilities while they are on cooldown, but doing this costs 70 Rage. This cost is halved for Feast Upon.
• Blood Frenzy: Ivar’s basic abilities cost 10% of his current health to use, but he gains 1% attack speed for every 3% health he’s missing. In addition, his basic attacks heal him for 4% of his missing health.

Tier 2

• Primed for the Hunt: After Ivar captures a mercenary camp, he gains an additional 10% increased movement speed for 6 seconds, which is increased to 20% while within 10 range of an enemy Hero, and 40% while within 4 range of an enemy Hero.
• Apex Predator: Ivar’s basic attacks against monsters and mercenaries heal him for 35% of the damage dealt. When Ivar captures a Mercenary camp, he is healed by an additional 10% of his maximum health.
• Opportunistic Hunter: Ivar’s damage dealt against his marked camp is increased by 100%. In addition, all mercenary camps captured by Ivar have a 15% reduced respawn time.

Tier 3

• Tenderizing Strikes: Every time Ivar basic attacks an enemy Hero, they gain a stack of Tenderized, which lasts for 4 seconds, up to 8 stacks. Ivar’s next Feast Upon that hits that enemy deals an additional 10% damage per stack and heals Ivar for 10% more per stack.
• Horror of the Night: Terrifying Howl’s radius is increased by 25%, and if Ivar gains attack speed from it, his basic attacks deal an additional 1.5% of the enemy’s maximum health in damage for 4 seconds.
• Feral Frenzy: Every reactivation of Bloodbath within 1 second of its previous cast reduces the cooldown of Bloodbath by 1 second. Ivar’s attack speed is passively increased by 10%.

Tier 4

• Viciousness: Ivar leaps to an enemy within 6 range, dealing 250 (+4% per level) damage to them and slowing them by 25% for 2 seconds. Ivar can continue to cast this as many times as wanted within 3 seconds, but he cannot target the same enemy twice. Minions and non-boss mercenaries are instantly killed.
• Eyes in the Dark: Ivar instantly disappears from the game in a frightening howl after a 1 second delay (extended by .5 seconds for each instance of damage taken while charging, up to 5 seconds), revealing a constantly increasing radius, starting at 6 units and extending up to 25 over 6 seconds. Upon reactivation, or upon expiration, Ivar lashes out at all enemy heroes revealed in the area, dealing 370 (+4% per level) damage. 50% damage dealt heals Ivar. Every second the ability is channeled, the cooldown is increased by 15 seconds. After use, Ivar reappears at his cast location.

Tier 5

• Pack Hunting: Feast Upon can now be toggled (with a secondary ability) to no longer cause Ivar to jump to the enemy, and no longer heal him. Regardless, the range is increased by 25%. (Note: This is shown by another worgen jumping)
• Taste of Blood: Feast Upon’s cooldown is increased by 4 seconds, but heals him for 30% more and increases his attack speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
• Blood Moon’s Harvest: Whenever Ivar casts an ability, his next basic attack deals 50% increased damage. This can be generated and consumed by abilities that deal on hit basic attack effects to amplify the damage of the ability by 50%.

Tier 6

• Butcher’s Sweep: 1.5 seconds after Ivar uses Feast Upon, he swings in a 3 unit radius around him, dealing 110 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit. This is considered a basic attack.
• Howler’s Prowl: Ivar enters Stealth while not within sight range of an enemy Hero. This is maintained for 2 seconds after entering sight radius of an enemy Hero. When Stealth is lost, Ivar gains 25% increased attack speed and 10% increased movement speed.
• Bonebreaker: Ivar’s basic attacks deal an additional 4% of the enemy’s maximum health in bonus damage. This is reduced by .5% per basic attack within 4 seconds, down to a minimum of .5%.

Tier 7

• Persistent Hunt: Viciousness can now be used twice on enemy heroes, but deals 50% less damage. In addition, each use counts as a basic attack and applies on hit basic attack effects.
• Found You!: When reactivating Eyes in the Dark, Ivar can target an enemy Hero to reappear at their location and gain 25% increased attack speed for 3 seconds.
• Feeding Frenzy: Every time Bloodbath damages an enemy Hero in a single cast, it’s damage is increased by 4%. Bloodbath can be reactivated two additional times.
• Wild Animal: When Ivar falls below 40% health or kills an enemy Hero, he gains 50% increased attack speed and 20% increased movement speed. In addition, his vision radius is decreased by 50% and all disabling effects last 50% as long.

4 Likes

I love how much this build works.As a sense of urgency or aggression, what if his mount speed is lower,but might go quicker if a camp he marked is being attack/captured as lasted a small while?Or even if there’s a trap for heroes killing camps in some way, such as it just being slower to capture for all without Ivar? Only thing i noticed.

Well, if he captures enough Boss Camps, he could have no Cooldowns on his abilities, letting him shine on Hanamura :joy: But otherwise, seems like a sound concept!

Then that’s a bonus, depending on what maps he’s on. Its motive to either kill him outright, slow him when hes capping or to cap camps before he does. Anti-hero motive in another direction.

Bloodbath really should be a duration-based buff to make auto attacks cleave, rather than reactivations, as it would probably double effective attack speed, in addition to what the on-hit effects are stuff like percentage damage and piles of healing. It accelerates bonuses to the point of being almost inherently broken. Also, have you seen what Fel Claws having three activations with a 2.5 second window does? This method is incomprehensibly clunky. Applies to the next six attacks in 3 seconds, increase duration by 2 seconds per attack, or something like that. Also keeps Block working against the damage.

Generally, his self-sustain looks to be too constant for a Melee Assassin. Compare The Butcher or Qhira, who have one large, conditional heal on a significant cooldown and some talents for a little more conditional healing, while Feast Upon is up there with Yrel’s Vindication for easy-as-hell healing, and keeps Ivar’s mouth panted firmly on the rear of any poor bastard he’s after, similar to Twin Blade’s Varian.

With energy, it’s every 2 seconds for 15 energy, and the cooldown is reduced by 1 second every basic attack. This is easily in excess of 100 health per second at level one, and unlike the existing melee assassins, this is essentially a steady stream of healing rather than a large burst so they can finish unloading in the enemy team’s face.

He doesn’t need a constant stream of sustain, that’s what Bruisers get. You don’t need that for camps, because you can always hearth away to heal, or burn a big heal right as you finish the camp. Maybe make Feast Upon a single 16-second CD 6-range ~300 damage cooldown, with the 3-second stun on Terrifying Howl carrying the camp clearing durability? Again, if you’re just taking camps, you can hearth freely after taking them.

Mostly, the issue here is that Ivar’s labeled a Melee Assassin, but is a pile of sustained damage and healing like a Bruiser rather than any sort of burst like the existing Melee Assassins. Ideally, a Melee Assassin should need to jump out after they unload their burst, like Chen diving out to drink through his Stagger damage differentiating him from the Tanks that can just take that damage to the face.

Fixed that for you :slight_smile:

I feel like this ability is a bit too strong compared to Gul’dan’s Horrify, the only other Fear currently in game. Horrify is a 2 second Fear on an 80 sec CD. There are differences between the abilities but they’re not so different that the cooldown difference makes up for them. On a map like Hanamura, Ivar could have a 1 second Fear on a 4 second CD since, if I’m not mistaken, the Sentinel camps are Boss camps (Not even considering his level 1 talents). That’s pretty nuts.
Even if Hanamura would be an awesome map pick for him, the ability seems too strong. I would recommend increasing it to a 16-20 sec CD and adding .25 to .5 seconds to the Fear. Taking a Boss camp would be more meaningful but even if you couldn’t do that the ability is still a strong CC for having to be in the middle of their team to get max value.

Assuming the movement speed bonus from this talent is additive, you’re looking at a potential 70% movement speed if an enemy Hero is nearby when Ivar takes a camp. That’s a bit much. Also… if I’m gonna nit pick… The name implies that you’re going to use that movement speed to go after an enemy as you take a camp but I imagine the thought behind the talent is so that you can “get out of dodge” after stealing the enemies camp.

This seems very powerful. I don’t know merc spawn timers by heart so lets say a camp spawns every 120 seconds. Ivar’s trait reduces the respawn time by 50%, so now we’re at 1 minute. I assume this talent means 50% of his Trait for a total of 75% off the respawn time of the camp? That’s crazy lane pressure. It also resets the CD of his Trait allowing him to murder camp after camp. Maybe increasing his Traits Active to 60 seconds would be more balanced.

I really like this ability. May be rough to pull off in some situations but it would be great to get the kill on someone retreating.
I do think that the healing from this Ability should be swapped to Viciousness. Viciousness is more of the “all in” talent that forces him into possible counter-play where EitD can be activated from safety and the damage only has a few counters. (Shields, Protected… stuff like that)

I assume this means his Q auto activates when it comes off CD dealing a bit of burst damage?

Is the damage from this talent in addition to Basic Attack damage or is it spell damage that counts as a Basic Attack?

My concern is how would Physical Armor, Blocks, and Evasion react to the damage.

Would this activate if he were to step into a Bush? Cuz that would be awesome to appear like you’re retreating only to disappear and turn around and bite them in the face!

I really like that his kit makes up for the short-comings of a lot of teams. He can quickly grab camps before objectives because, sadly, not enough teams do that.

He looks like he provides some serious damage but has counter-play in team fights to strong CC, which is good.

And I really like that you choose his Resource at level 1. The level 1 talents would be a pain to balance though :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Hanamura Sentinel camps are considered Siege camps, so he’d actually be unable to rock the low CD’s on Hanamura, since they don’t have Boss camps.

I don’t understand how it would double attack speed? If his attack speed was 1.0, it would effectively work the same way.

Fel Claws is on a tank with a shorter cooldown, quicker recasts, and a stun at the end. It also gives him healing through his trait. Bloodlust works a bit differently, and does consume a hefty chunk of his power budget. If anything the damage could be trimmed by 3 or so to make it more in line with Fel Claws, but I think it’s slightly better damage makes sense on a damage dealer.

This would fundamentally change how the ability works, as Bloodbath has an additional dash element to it that makes sticking to targets easier over time, but making jukes easier for each reactivation. The idea is to give Ivar a way to translate basic attack power into an ability, to counteract Blinds and other such abilities.

Healing should be a main draw to the character, since he has no poke potential and is hard countered by any form of stun or root. I do think it is a bit too prevalent atm, and I will reduce the damage and healing of the Q a bit. This will come with a small nerf to Lycanthropic Energy to bring its power back in line, since it crosses a lot of breakpoints for the character.

There is a wide range of ways to approach every character, and as long as they have the proper balancing and counter-balances, I really don’t think you can keep yourself restricted to such narrow descriptions. Chen as a Bruiser has far more self sustain and survivability than most of his role, Butcher has sustained damage for days, Yrel can take on the form of an off-healer to some extent. Ivar has more healing than most of his melee assassin brethren, sacrificing poke and burst. These weaknesses are what contribute to him wanting to stay in the jungle clearing camps rather than trying to lane.

I will up the cooldown by 4 seconds to bring it back in line and up the delay slighting from .5 to .65. Horrify does have range on it and a bigger radius, making it’s use much more flexible, which I think is an important detail.

The movement speed bonus increases to a larger amount, not gets increased by. So at the close range, he’ll get 45% maximum. I will actually trim this down a bit to 10/20/40, as I think it might be a bit too much speed.

The idea is to quickly travel into a lane to execute a fast gank after taking a camp. While you could also use it to escape, the idea with the faster movement speed based on proximity was to encourage the Ivar to get close to enemies. I could change this if you think it’s not fulfilling it’s intended role.

Funny enough, the trait Cooldown was originally 60 seconds, but it detracted from the character’s intended role as a dedicated jungler. The idea with this is you sacrifice your personal lane presence for a constant supply of merc camps. I will alter around this ability a little (as I forgot to remove the Predator CD reduction from the initial CD change).

The idea for this is a safer option for Ivar which can give him some heal out of combat. The main difference is EitD only hits Heroes, while Viciousness hits minions and mercs, and so I thought this restriction justified a bit of additional heal on EitD.

No. This just alters the functionality of the Q when you cast it. I could reword this for clarity if you think it needs it. You basically enable and disable the talent with a secondary ability.

So this would get reduced by Block and Physical Armor, as well as be evaded. It will also proc all additional on hit effects such as Blood Moon’s Harvest and Blood Frenzy.

Yes it would.

I definitely agree with that sentiment :sweat_smile:. I’ll be putting through a nerf to Lycanthropic Energy, due to its ability to just break the character.

2 Likes

I had no idea about that, although he’d be strong anyway on that map for being a Jungler…

He will be powerful on most maps with Mercs, so it’s his strong spot, like how some Gods in Smite are almost literally designed to jungle and provide xp for the Team.