His screech dat you hear,
Can dispel your every fear.

Softest wings glide through de night.
Taste and sound bring different sight.

When ya lost and all alone,
In de darkness where you roam,
His voice will guide ya home."
~ Tales of the Loa.

Hir’eek is a sustain Melee Bruiser that can shut down enemies and deal high damage if not interrupted. He also can protect and buff his teammates.

In Heroesfire I’ll be diving more about his lore and concept design aspects. I’ll be glade if you can check it out: https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/concept/hireek-11089

If you don’t wish to jump over there, I’ll be posting the concept here as well. However, I’m not going to include the small details after each ability as I did there in order to keep it nice and clean. I hope you enjoy reading the concept and I’d be really happy for any feedback.

Base Stats:

Role: Melee Bruiser (He was intended to be Melee Bruiser, however can it pass as Melee Assassin? or Melee Support since he can buff allies?)
Universe: World of Warcraft
Health: 1950 (4% per level)
Health Regeneration: 4.06 per second (4% per level)
Mana: 490 (+10 per level)
Mana Regeneration: 3 Mana per second (+0.975 per level)
Basic Attack Range: 1.5 (Melee)
Basic Attack Damage: 100 (4% per level)
Basic Attack Speed: 1.0

Abilities:

[Trait] Midnight Sky (passive):
After casting a Basic Ability, Midnight falls in an area around Hir’eek for 3 seconds.

Each successful consecutive damage and healing dealt by Hir’eek and allies within the area to Heroic targets increases their damage and healing by 1%. This bonus stacks and is calculated separately for each ally.

[Q] Bloodletting:
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Cost: 40 Mana

Launch a short distance forward and slash in two side arcs with both claws, each dealing 80 damage. Enemies in the center can be hit by both slashes. Each slash wounds their targets, causing them to take 10 damage every 0.25 seconds and leave a Blood Trail behind them when moving for 2 seconds. Blood Trail lasts 2 seconds and damage over time can stack twice.

While on the Blood Trail, gain 15% increased Movement Speed and heal for 1% of maximum Health every 0.5 seconds.

[W] Loa of Bats:
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Cost: 60 Mana

Channel to open your wings and command legions of small Bats to swarm a rectangle area in-front of Hir’eek for 2 seconds. Every 0.25 seconds an enemy Hero is within the target area, a small Bat sticks to them and attacks them for 6 damage every 0.25 seconds. Bats continue to attack their targets for additional 2 seconds after leaving the ability’s area of effect, then they fly back to Hir’eek and heal him for 20% of their overall dealt damage.

[E] Lamenting Screech:
Cooldown: 13 seconds
Cost: 50 Mana

Screech and send unbearable sound wave every 0.5 seconds for 2 seconds that slowly expands in a cone area in-front of Hir’eek. Those waves pass through enemies and upon hitting an enemy Hero, a second opposing wave reflects from their position. Each wave deals 40 damage and Slows enemies’ Movement Speed by 25% for 1 second, stacking up to 4 times. Upon reaching 100% Slow amount, the target is put to Sleep for 2 seconds. Sleep duration is refreshed with each consecutive wave hit.

Hir’eek and allies’ damage from within Midnight area does not wake them up.

[R1] Hir’eek’s Hunger:
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Cost: 60 Mana

Create a Sacrifice Altar in the target location for 10 seconds. If allies and Hir’eek within its area deal 750 damage or achieve a Takedown, Hir’eek blesses the Altar, refreshing its duration and causing it to grant all allies within its radius 25% increased damage and 25% Lifesteal.

Each additional Takedown increases its duration by 5 seconds, its area of effect radius by 50% and its bonuses by 5%.

[R2] Lord of Midnight Sky:
Cooldown: 100 seconds
Cost: 80 Mana

After 0.75 seconds, take off to the air and activate Midnight Sky. While in the air, Midnight Sky reduces the Vision Radius of enemy Heroes within by 75% and burns them for 40 damage every 0.5 seconds. Additionally, Hir’eek gains 40% increased Movement Speed.

For the next 5 seconds, Lord of Midnight Sky can be reactivated to instantly land and Fear all nearby enemy Heroes for 1.25 seconds. After landing Midnight Sky continue to be active for 2 seconds.

[Z] Bat Wings (Special Mount):
Increase your Movement Speed by 30%. (like any other mount)

Talents:

Level 1:

[Q] Weak Spot:
Hitting an enemy Hero with both slashes causes them to lose 10 Armor and take 20% more damage from Hir’eek’s Basic Attacks as long as they are bleeding.

[E] I See You!:
Catching a reflected wave from an enemy Hero Reveals them for 10 seconds. Hir’eek deals 15% more damage to those Revealed Heroes.

[Trait] Blood Moon:
Midnight Sky grants additional 1% bonus healing or damage if they are dealt to targets below 50% Health.

Level 4:

[Q] Hunger Rush:
Increase the Movement Speed bonus of Blood Trail by 10%.
Additionally, Hir’eek cannot be Slowed below base Movement Speed or Rooted while on Blood Trail.

[W] Steady Ground And Air:
While Channeling Loa of Bats, Hir’eek is immune to the first Stun or Silence.
If the Channel lasts its full duration, Hir’eek gains one stack of Steady Ground And Air, causing the next Stun or Silence against Hir’eek to be reduced by 75%.

[E] Guiding Screech:
Waves can now also reflect from allied Heroes. If Hir’eek catches their reflected waves, any Disabling Effect is removed from them.

Level 7:

[Q] Blooddrinker:
Increase Blood Trail’s healing amount by an extra 0.5% of maximum Health.
Additionally, Basic Attacks against wounded enemy Heroes heal Hir’eek for 10% of their damage per one stack.

[W] Vampyric Bats:
Bats heal Hir’eek for additional 40% of their overall dealt damage, if Hir’eek is below 50% Health or under any Disabling Effect.

[E] Echoed Shield:
When catching a reflected wave, Hir’eek gains 100 (4% per level) Shield Points for 4 seconds. Shield can stack and its duration refreshes with each reflected wave.

Level 10:

See above

Level 13:

[Q] G’huun’s Corruption:
Bleeding Heroes transfer 20% per stack of their healing received to Hir’eek.
Additionally, enemy Heroes cannot leech Health from Hir’eek, instead they heal him for 100% of the leech amount.

[W] Flesh Shield:
After flying back to Hir’eek, up to 3 Bats fly in a circle around him, each dealing 40 (4% per level) damage to enemies in their way.
Each one of those Bats absorbs the next damage instance against Hir’eek, killing the Bat in the process.

[E/Trait] Essence Drain:
Upon waking up, Sleep targets take bonus damage equal to 10% of taken damage from Hir’eek and allies within Midnight while asleep.
Hir’eek and allied Heroes heal for 100% of that bonus damage, if they are nearby.

Level 16:

[Q] For the Blood God!:
Hitting an enemy Hero with both slashes refunds 50% of its cooldown and Mana cost, and causes the target enemy to bleed for additional 1.5 seconds.

[W] Finish 'em Off!:
After flying back to Hir’eek, up to 4 Bats fly again to their main target and attack them for additional 2 seconds. This effect triggers before Flesh Shield’s effect.

[E/Trait] Nightmare:
Hir’eek deals 20% more damage to Sleeping targets.
Additionally, each consecutive damage against Sleeping targets provides 0.5% extra bonus damage from Midnight Sky.

Level 20:

[R1] Hir’eek Watches Over You!:
The Sacrifice Altar remains indefinitely and only has a duration when activated. Upon expiration, it can be reactivated again if its conditions are met. Up to 3 Sacrifice Altars can exist at once, but their bonuses don’t overlap.

Additionally, the Trait button [D] can be activated to fly to an active Sacrifice Altar after 0.5 seconds, causing it to grant all allies within its radius 25 Armor over its duration. 50 seconds cooldown.

[R2] Ruler of All Midnight Skies:
Reduce Lord of Midnight Sky cooldown by 60 seconds and increase its duration in the air by 100%. While in the air, cause all enemy Heroes in the air to lose all vision on the battlefield.

[Q] Feast!:
Gain 5% increased Attack Speed for 3 seconds when Basic Attacking wounded enemies per one stack, up to 40%.
Additionally, every 5th Basic Attack Hir’eek takes a bite from his target, stealing 5% of their maximum Health.

[W] Long Night:
Each Bat reduces the Vision Radius of its target by 10%. Upon reaching 80% reduced Vision Radius, they are Silenced for 1.5 seconds.

[Active] Sanctum Of Midnight:
Activate to grant self and all nearby ally Heroes 200 (4% per level) Shield Points for 4 seconds. This Shield is affected by both Midnight Sky’s healing and damage bonuses of Hir’eek and each nearby ally. 45 seconds cooldown.

5 Likes

Heroics be missing mate as a heads up, also i like how its worded alot :+1:

1 Like

Oh thank you for pointing that out!! And for the compliment :grin:

1 Like

Np mate happy to help xP specially since i bet people were eager to see them on here like i was.

1 Like

Great concept, however I feel as is “Lord of Midnight Sky” is too powerful. It can’t be stopped during it’s duration and gives a Dehaka blind to all enemies, while also dealing damage (which means he will be AOE healing his team and himself as long as he casts a basic ability before Ulting due to his passive “Midnight Sky”) and then it ends in a Gul’dan Fear while still keeping them blinded after the fact for 2 more seconds?
Thats impossible to beat in a team fight, if the enemy team has a Hir’eek that’s worth his salt the only option is to avoid Team Fights as much as possible. Since all the Hir’eek would have to do is lead in, use all his abilities and then Ult back to full health and win the team fight.

My suggestion to balance it is to remove the vision reduction and the damage while he is in the air. Apply it only if/when he fears the enemy heroes when landing.
Then there is a chance to dodge it and it will feel less hopeless going against a Hir’eek. You can, if you like, also amplify the damage that it deals from the burning in this case when he lands, make it more similar to Xul’s AOE ult.

That’s just my suggestion but it has to be tweaked someway because currently it’s an autowin for Team Hir’eek.

Hey Jindo!
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

I’m going to explain here more about the ability functionality, its counter play and my thought process behind it, hopefully that would give clarity:

While it cannot be stopped during its duration, it can still be interrupted. It has a cast time of 0.75 seconds. I wasn’t much sure how much cast time I should give the ability because I admit it can have a powerful potential. If we compare it to some similar abilities like Junkrat’s Rocket Ride or Alexstrasza’s Cleansing Flames, it has 0.5 seconds less activation time (1.25 seconds), but on the other hand both of them are ranged and not melee. Better comparison would be to Imperius’ Wrath of the Angiris which has a cast time of 0.75 seconds as well. Generally, melee heroes suffer more from interruptions than ranged heroes. Most of them, if not all of them, have a cast or activation time of 1 second or less for their heroics that allow for a counter play, but not more than that. (ETC’s Mosh bit: 0.75 seconds, Tyrael’s Judgment: 0.75s, Malganis’ Dark Conversion: 0.75s… just to name few)

If we look at other heroics of melee heroes that don’t necessarily cause them to fly to the air, but have similar functionality of being invulnerable, such as Mal’ganis’ Carrion Swarm or Chen’s Storm, Earth, Fire, both have a cast time of 1 second and are interrupt-able. That was my first step of my thought process of giving the ability a counter play.

The vision reduction and burning aspect of the heroic happens only when Hir’eek is in the air. After he lands, Midnight Sky doesn’t reduce or burn surrounding enemies any more. The burn damage is only there to help Hir’eek build stacks from his trait. The extra duration after landing is only there to allow him follow up with basic abilities and keep up those bonuses.

The differences between Dehaka’s vision reduction and Lord of Midnight is that if Dehaka hits his Isolation, the target can’t escape its effect, while Lord of Midnight Sky only reduces vision if enemies are within its area. Furthermore Isolation silences its target while Lord of Midnight Sky doesn’t, granting the enemy the option to use their escape abilities.

Gul’dan’s fear and Hir’eek’s are also different enough in my opinion. Gul’dan can use his fear on demand and it is ranged while Hir’eek needs to fly to the air after 0.75 seconds and then get to his targets and then land which altogether would take far more than the 0.5 seconds delay time of Horrify. Additionally, Hir’eek’s fear duration is around 40% less than Gul’dan’s. Lord of Midnight Sky gives the player the ability to either build up trait bonuses at the risk of enemies escaping it or to sacrifice those bonuses for a guaranteed CC.

To clarify more: Hir’eek takes off and steers from his cast position. Lord of Midnight Sky isn’t ranged like Rocket Ride, Cleansing Flames or Fallen Sword, which explains the needed 40% increased Movement Speed. For a better understanding: Rocket Ride has a movement speed of 6 unit/sec while the movement speed of a hero unmounted is 4.8 u/sec and from experience it’s still dodge-able.

Lastly, I’d like to note that the trait “Midnight Sky” itself doesn’t heal allies or Hir’eek directly. It just increases their healing or damage dealt after each damage and healing instance they deal within its area. It just grants them a buff depending on the amount of times they deal damage/heal.

I’m sorry if I wrote too much, but I felt I owe it to you all to explain this ability better and I’m very glad you voiced your concerns. Please let me know after reading my reply if you still have the same concerns about this ability. In general numbers, delay and cast times are only guesses because sadly we can’t test our ideas in-game. That said, a suitable toning down of numbers on paper would be:

• Increasing cast time to 1 second
  • Reducing Burn damage to (20-30)
  • Reducing time in the air to ~ 4 seconds
  • Reducing Fear duration to 1 second
  • Increasing cooldown to 120 seconds.

If anything else remains unclear or you have any questions, I’ll be more than happy to answer them :slight_smile:

Hey Innocence! It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you around. Since life has been winding down, and in the spirit of the holiday, here’s a review for this interesting concept.

This trait is very interesting, but I’m not sure I like how it is set up. Since the idea is to build momentum and separate out your abilities to keep the accumulation going as long as possible, the short duration and very sudden dropoff seem very disappointing and prone to problems. I think having a 1 second delay time before the bonuses are lost might be a good idea, allowing Hireek more time to place another field.

Bloodletting is another ability that is very, very interesting but I think the duration kind of fights against it. The blood trail seems like it should be more core to the character, as it is quite interesting, and only being 2 seconds (realistically only lasting for maybe 1.25 seconds after hitting the enemy since they have to be moving and Hireek has to move onto the area) doesn’t give the ability enough time to stand out and be engaging in the gameplay. Perhaps keeping the bleed duration but making the trail last longer would feel better, possibly at the cost of a 1 sec longer CD?

If I’m understanding Lamenting Screech correctly, you just want to bounce the waves between a group of enemies to stack the slow and eventual sleep on all enemies in an area? I think there should be a baseline interaction with catching reflected sound waves to make the ability a bit more responsive, such as being able to reflect the sound waves yourself (would be the simplest). This would also make the sound wave caching talents feel a bit better to delve into, since you don’t rely so heavily on bouncing the waves between enemies exclusively.

While the vision shred is not extremely devastating (you can move out of the area and it doesn’t stop you from doing so), I do think the delay time should be increased to 1 second for the 5 second invulnerability and movement boost. I also think there should be a delay time before he lands, as the fear effect is really problematic. The overall combination of all the effects makes the entire ability feel a bit overwhelming, and I think you should consider some targeted nerfs around at some of the effects (shorter fear, longer delay time, delay before the fear).

The talents individually are all very nice, but I’m having difficulty seeing real gameplay patterns emerge out of them. A complete lack of interability talents hampers the characters cohesiveness, and I really think there should be a talent build focused around his supportive elements more than the one or two talents tossed in now. I think you should reconsider ways to make the character have distinct build types and playstyle differences across his talent tree. Also, G’huun’s Corruption is very interesting.

Overall, very interesting concept. I really liked all the creativity and interesting playstyle the character exhibits. I hope to see you around with some more concepts, and await the day you return to a CDC!

I misunderstood what happened when he landed then. If he doesn’t continue the burn or vision reduction that is better, it is still stronger than Dehaka’s since it affects the entire team (a silence is good, but in a team fight with your entire team not being able to see, the tank can’t peel and the healer doesn’t know who to heal so its still pretty brutal).

The fears are different but I would still argue that Hireeks is stronger since he got to heal back up and your team would most likely be punishing them while you are in the air due to reduced vision. The final fear just puts the nail in the coffin, and any who were already lowered in HP wont get the chance to survive.

But with the clarification on how it functions while in the air, and the added nerfs as well. It should be balanced enough in theory at least I think, of course these things always need testing. Still a great concept, you should do one for all the Loa imo.