[HC] Emperor Arcturus Mengsk, Hero of Korhal (Summoner)

Arcturus Mengsk, Emperor of the Dominion

Humanity above all, except himself. Mengsk is a ranged assassin who’s loath to dirty his own hands, instead seeking to control the map with his global abilities and unique summons.

Unit Health Damage Range Speed Mana
Mengsk 1150 90 5 1 490
Marine 310 32 5.5 1
Ghost 440 45 6 .8
Marauder 560 30 (splash) 5.5 .5
CC 8,500 110 (x2) 8 1.2
CC [R1] 240 (splash) 8 .8

Trait [D]

• Command Center
    • Replaces a friendly or destroyed fort with your Command Center. At level 1 it has less health and damage than a fort but will scale with your hero as the game progresses. Command Centers will spawn 3 marines every minute that will travel down the lane, and whenever it’s damage it’ll summon an SCV to repair it (40 second cooldown, only triggers whenever it receives damage and not just from missing health). It does not have an attack of it’s own but has two turrets that fire at targets independently.
    • Cooldown: 360 seconds (Can only have 1 out at a time)

Basic Abilities

• Royal Guard [Q]
    • Mengsk calls down a drop pod of elite troops consisting of 2 marines and a ghost anywhere his team has vision of. Lasts for 9 seconds but as long as they’re near Mengsk their duration will be increased up to 18 seconds. If near Mengsk they will prioritize following him when there are no nearby enemies.
    • Cooldown: 20 seconds
    • Cost: 60 mana
  • Advanced Ordinance (W)
    • Marks a large area for artillery bombardment over 9 seconds (a little larger than Reign of Destruction), periodically dealing 110 damage and slowing enemies by 30% in small, random areas. Deals 50% damage to structures.
    • Cooldown: 16 seconds
    • Cost: 45 mana
  • Autocratic Eminence [E]
    • Protect your Emperor! For 4.5 seconds, nearby friendly units take 10% of the damage dealt to Mengsk in his place, up to 50% damage can be transferred, prioritizing nonheroic units.
    • Passive: Nearby friendly nonheroic units have 10 armor and deal 10% increased damage.
    • Cooldown: 12 seconds
    • Cost: 30 mana

Heroic Abilities

• Absolute Dominion [R1]
    • Upgrades your Command Center into a Planetary Fortress, giving it a devastating primary attack that you can control with ( R ). Increases the number of marines it spawns by 1 and decreases their spawn rate by 30 seconds.
  • Psi-Emitter [R2]
    • Summons a Psi-Emitter at the target location for 12 seconds, various zerg units will continually spawn around it and attack enemies unless it is destroyed. It will spawn several zerglings every 3 seconds, a roach every 4 seconds, a hydralisk every 6 seconds, and an Ultralisk every 10 seconds. Zerg unit duration is 17 seconds.
    • Cooldown: 90 seconds
    • Cost: 80 mana

Talents

• Level 1
    • Decree their Death [Passive]
      • Mengsk’s basic attacks mark an enemy, making them receive 15% more damage from friendly sources for 4 seconds. Only one mark may be applied at a time.
    • Macabre Martinet [E]
      • Whenever a unit under the effects of Autocratic Eminence takes damage, Mengsk heals for 15.
    • Leave Nothing [W]
      • Advanced Ordinance now deals 75% damage to structures and has 50% increased range.
  • Level 4
    • Homefront [Q]
      • Your marines have 20% increased health and 10% increased attack speed.
    • Sniper Support [Active]
      • Deals 120 damage to any target enemy your team has vision of or injects a friendly unit to heal them for 40 every second over 3 seconds.
      • Cooldown: 12 seconds.
    • Emperor’s Shadow [Passive]
      • Whenever Mengsk takes damage, a Ghost is summoned nearby to protect him.
      • Cooldown: 20 seconds
  • Level 7
    • Aegis Guard [Q]
      • Royal Guard now additionally summons an elite Marauder unit that slows enemies he attacks by 20%.
    • Bought With Blood [Passive]
      • Quest: Whenever a nearby friendly nonheroic unit dies gain 1 stack. At 25 stacks increase Mengsk’s basic attack range by 2, at 50 stacks increase Mengsk’s maximum Health by 10%, at 100 stacks Mengsk’s basic attacks reduce his ability cooldowns by .5 seconds.
    • Contaminated Strike [W]
      • Enemies hit by Advanced Ordinance take an additional 100 damage over 5 seconds. Each time an enemy Hero is damaged by Advanced Ordinance reduce their armor by 2.5 for 3 seconds, stacking up to 15.
  • Level 13
    • Watchful Eyes [Passive]
      • Increases the attack range of your Ghosts by 4 and they reveal nearby cloaked units, Command Center now spawns a Ghost with each wave.
    • Adherence Accolades [E]
      • Whenever a unit under the effects of Autocratic Eminence suffers damage from it they gain a 5% increase in damage for 4 seconds, stacking up to 20%. Autocratic Eminence now transfers 5% of damage dealt to Mengsk between up to 10 friendly units.
    • I Will Not Be Stopped [E]
      • When activating Autocratic Eminence Mengsk gains unstoppable for 1.5 seconds and 20 armor for 3 seconds.
  • Level 16
    • Expendables [Q]
      • Units summoned from Royal Guard no longer have increased duration when near Mengsk. Reduce the cooldown by 8 seconds.
    • Will of the People [Passive]
      • Whenever Mengsk activates an ability, shield nearby allies for 120 damage.
    • Optimized Targeting Systems [W]
      • Reduces the potential impact area of Advanced Ordinance by 40%, doesn’t reduce the number of impacts.
  • Level 20
    • Despotic Expanse [R1]
      • You can now have 2 Command Centers out at a single time.
    • By Any Means Necessary [R2]
      • Increases the duration of Psi-Emitter by 10 seconds. Now summons a Mutalisk every 7 seconds.
    • Nuclear Annihilation [Active]
      • Channel for 3 second to call down a rain of missiles on a targeted area, dealing 600 damage over 5 seconds.
      • Passive: When Mengsk takes fatal damage he detonates a nuke at his position to deal 300 damage to nearby enemies.

Kind of an exercise. Wanted to get this idea out of my head for a while and now that I see it on paper it doesn’t look very fun. A summoner unit without micro involved is just a minion spammer.
I had intended to make him a semi-support unit with unique abilities but not so sure how that turned out.

I wanted to keep his body weak and have the Command Center as the main focus but his E is probably busted, and W build could be pretty oppressive.
Horribly imbalanced, yeah.
I’d appreciate any feedback.

2 Likes

Random is not welcome in HotS.

Other abilities are fine…in some way.

Good job, this concept is good. Generally SC need more heroes, Hydralisk ,Mengsk and Overmind are the best option for this important case.

Advanced Ordinance (W)

• Marks a large area for artillery bombardment over 9 seconds (a little larger than Reign of Destruction), periodically dealing 110 damage and slowing enemies by 30% in small, random areas. Deals 50% damage to structures.
  • Cooldown: 16 seconds
  • Cost: 45 mana

Maybe you can do something like Jaina’s Blizzard, but make it one to two waves in an area. Also, I don’t think Mengsk should be on the battlefield, It’s not his style, so what if it’s a general or an SCV in his place. On the other hand, if you what to still have him be on the battlefield, you can put him in an SCV suit and make him be range by being Modified or in a Warhound sents it was originally a mining vehicle modified to be a weapon too.

That was my initial thought process.
Then I thought- “Does this game really need more Abathurs?

Could make Mengsk appear as an Imperial Witness with his hologram activated, so he wont be an Abathur-ish hero.

I’m less worried over capturing character fantasy as I am over actually feeling like you’re playing Mengsk.
It’s a neat concept to appear by proxy but I don’t think it’d have that same immersion that you get when you’re actually piloting the hero.

I was thinking of a defensive kind of hero would work, where he still has a body but has abilities to fortify nearby structures.
Perhaps he could be a twist on TLV/Rexxar and while his main body is safe at base he can order around a heroic Marine unit, and have a talent tier dedicated to changing that unit to a different one to suit the matchup like having a Ghost for stealth/burst, a Marauder for tanking or maybe additional marines for stronger sustained damage.

1 Like

In the game lack Arcturus Mengsk since was development, the group told about the first roster of the StarCraft heroes in the game (Raynor, Kerrigan, Nova, Tassadar, Zeratul, Sgt. Hammer & Abathur) which never stood to have many of the major role heroes like Artanis & various others, as Arcturus Mengsk was in leaked that I would answer for very longtime, after Heroes release the group had answer that Arcturus Mengsk would added after release of Dehaka that never stood to confirmed was replaced by Stukov instead in Heroes 2.0, when Medic (known as Lt. Morales in the game) had released the group taking placeholder to Abathur become major role since was Tyrael & Malthael that also was added in the game, the group relented about Arcturus Mengsk again after Whitemane release which still unconfirmed & no answers.

well he could pilot the Imperial Witness himself or he can pilot a battlecruiser with his own hologram on display.