[HC] Dom & Morty v2.0

Dom & Morty was a hero concept I had from the old forums back when I was blindly hoping that they would ever fill out the WC3 roster. Basically they’re a conglomeration of the mortar team, siege engine, and flying machine units. My concept has since gone through an overhaul and a lot of fine tuning and I feel like it’s worthwhile to present them fresh.

Here’s some flavor text to get started:
What happens when you take a gnome/dwarf bromance and give them a flying machine, siege engine, and an endless supply of explosives to play with? Answer: a super fun and comical hero whose iconic brilliance will shine through to the death of HotS.

Dom (name derived from the Demolition Squads of WC2) is an iron-willed dwarf, famously known for his merciless siege warfare and obsessive determination for reducing structures to rubble. Morty (name derived from the Mortar Teams of WC3) is a neurotic and crafty gnome whose passion for flight developed a wondrous synergy with his insatiable desire to blast everything to smithereens. This dynamic duo crossed paths at a shooting range one day, trading war stories of gloriously exploded enemies and expounding upon their unhinged love for destruction. The pair developed a mercenary partnership and have been inseparable ever since.

And the actual hero concept:
Dom & Morty have a unique movement system, somewhere between Rexxar/Misha and The Lost Vikings. Each hero is controlled with 1 or 2, respectively, and the “lead” toggles to whoever you selected last. 3 can be used to group them together, in which case the “follower” will run to the previously selected lead. Additionally, they have a leash range with each other. If the lead gets too far away, the other will follow. And similar to the other micro-manage heroes, Dom or Morty dying each counts as a half-death.

Demolition (trait): Pressing D and targeting an enemy structure will cause Dom & Morty to run towards it. Once Dom & Morty are within range of any enemy structure (including walls), they become cloaked and unrevealable until they plant timed explosives on the structure. Afterwards, they remain cloaked but become revealable. When the explosives detonate, they deal substantial AoE damage and the structure they were attached to takes 50% extra damage.

Basic Auto-Attack: alternating blunderbuss (Dom) and long rifle (Morty) shots

Mortar Blast (Q): After a delay to load the mortar, blasts a medium sized area for significant damage. Enemies hit by the center of the blast are stunned for 1 second. Each hero can do this ability individually when they’re the lead, but it cuts the delay in half if they’re grouped together.

Ramming Speed (W): Dom gets into a Siege Engine and Morty cloaks. The siege engine knocks back enemy heroes and can ram into structures for extra damage. Pressing W again will fire 3 light rockets into the nearest enemy, with preference to heroes.

Death From Above (E): Morty gets into a Flying Machine and Dom cloaks. The flying machine automatically fires flares at cloaked enemy heroes within range and pressing E again will shoot moderate damage AoE flak cannons.

Notes concerning vehicles:
Dom & Morty can pilot their respective vehicles at the same time (they cannot cloak while in a vehicle however).
The duration timer of a vehicle is reduced when it takes damage, but Dom or Morty do not lose HP while piloting them.
Vehicles have 15% increased movement speed.
The rockets and flak cannons can be fired multiple times while the vehicle is active, provided the cooldown requirements of the weapons are met.

The Big Bang Fury (R1): Dom sends an unmanned Siege Engine off in a straight line, stacked to the brim with bombs, which detonates after pressing R again or the duration timer reduces to zero. It has no maximum range, but can get stuck by terrain. “Destroying” it will reduce the duration timer to zero, causing it to explode.

Drone Strikes (R2): Morty sends off a modified and unmanned Flying Machine (must be channeling) that automatically hunts the targeted hero, repeatedly drops guided bombs, crosses over terrain, and prevents the hero from cloaking.

First off, the names “Dom” and “Morty” just sound funny to me. I get where they are coming fro, despite not having played WC3 but they are just funny.

Several questions:

1. What purpose does Dom and Morty leaving bombs at the struture have? Does it have an AoE explosion when the structure dies, which hurts enemy heroes. Do you need to press the button again to explode the bombs, causing damage around and to the structure?
  2. How long do their respective vehicles last? Can they be cancelled early or are they only gone when destroyed by opponents?
  3. How long does Drone Strikes last? Given it homes on a hero, I’d rather not be someone who has to deal with that the entire game. And does it have a health meter? An invicible, never ending homing thing doesn’t sound great to me.

I feel as tho you could replace demolition with a new trait that puts them into their vehicles at the same time. Which could give to 2 more new abilities when in a vehicle, and 1 new ability when they are on foot. Like when on foot, they do better at seiging forts and keeps but when in a vehicle, they are better at dueling heroes. That’s how I see them.

“& Morty” is also a low key shout-out to Rick & Morty. That’s kind of where the name idea started

Sorry, I forgot to say “timed” explosives. They just go off on their own, and yes, AoE damage, especially to the structure it was attached to

I try to stay away from the numbers game when coming up with hero concepts. I admittedly have no idea what would be balanced, so I usually don’t even try. 10 seconds? I don’t think there should be cancelling though. It kind of forces you to be strategic with your cooldowns.

Again, I don’t play the numbers game, but something like Nazeebo’s Ravenous Spirit makes sense to me (8 seconds). The drone should probably move faster though, since it’s not doing AoE.

Sorry, it’s gotta be demolition. That’s just too classic of an ability from the WC2 days to not have (retro love). Plus, I think it’s a fair way to split the abilities. Dom gets demolition, Morty gets mortar blast.