Have a 2018 MBP and can barely play - any tips/optimizations for Mac that improved game for you?

Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 MBP with good specs on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5 and I can barely play on medium graphic settings as I get choppy lag consistently. Playing assassins is not worth it as a result. I tried low settings and did not make a difference. I had my ISP run tests and I upgraded my router to a new Netgear xr500 and it improved the lag slightly, but the core issue remains and it’s clear that it’s a computer/software issue.

Has anyone found any tweaks, tips or fixes to improve HOTS performance on newer macs?

It would be appreciated if you have anything to share! I’m thinking about leaving this game due to the issues and really don’t want to.

Thanks,

Gabe

Hi there Xavier,

I know performance issues like this are never fun, I hope we can get things worked out here.

The first step I would try is clearing the game settings. Sometimes the game just needs to be reset to work better.

If that does not help, if no other programs are running when you play, I would check the hardware to make sure it’s fine.

/Nathardrick

Thank you Nathardrick - this seems to have helped a little but still have the same issue. Also the “check the hardware” link doesn’t work, could you repost that?

Are there any other things I can do or check?

Xavier,

Sorry about that! I’ve updated the link above for you to show you how to run the Apple Hardware test. Looks like we messed up pasting the link. If that doesn’t give you any luck - what are your in game settings set to? What resolution are you running at, what is the overall setting set to, and does it get any better by reducing them?

Hi Guys, sorry for late follow up, I continued to have the issue and I think with recent patches it got even worse. I can barely play the game which if why it took me a while to come back. I did a Mac diagnostic but it came up with nothing. Also got a brand new modem, no difference.

So I’m using 3840 x 2160 Benq external monitor. When I run the game without the monitor, on the default screen, same issues of really choppy graphics, sometimes screen freezing, etc. I noticed when I solo lane it’s less choppy then in team fights - not sure that matters, but sharing in case.

When I set the recommended settings, it puts them on ultra high. I lowered them to low and it’s slightly better, but same problems remain. I keep the settings on medium normally when I play as I don’t see a difference between medium and low.

I also tried clearing the game settings again after the last patch and no difference.

Let me know what else we can do?

Hello Xavier !

Before doing what I explain after, can you try in game to do the combinaison of those keys : Ctrl+Alt+F ?

It will show you your FPS. What is the average ?

Once done, can you try to manually lower your FPS please ? (I don’t know if it will helps, but we can’t say it if we don’t try :slight_smile: )

You can do this with his thead. Don’t worry, I did the same on my computer :slight_smile:

I don’t know if this will help you, but it’s something I would try.

PS : Sorry for my English, I’m French ^^’