Game stutters every 3/4 seconds for a second

Hello again,

I’m opening new topic regarding the same issue, with a bit more info and hopefully you will be able to help me with it.

Long story short, every 4 seconds or so I’m getting a lag spike/freeze for 1 sec. My laptop isn’t overheating, all drivers are up to date, I even wiped it and re installed whole system, reinstalling game solves the problem for short period of time as well as removing Blizzard cash folder.

Few facts 1st, it’s happening regardless of which WiFi connection I’m connected to.
It’s not happening in every game but once it starts happening then it’s continuous for random amount of time.
It’s happening regardless of which settings I’ve chosen, 120 fps, no lags and yet I’ve got these spikes.

My laptop doesn’t have any issues with any games apart from HOTS, no issues with connection, I’m not loosing packages or whatsoever which means (from my logical perspective) that the problem is related to the game and caused by it.

I’m not the only person experiencing it, there is loads of people who’s got the same issue and there is no long term solution to it.

Reinstalling the game is the best solution, but doing that every 5/6 games is retarded…

I really really hope that you will be able to help.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Niuniek,

If you go to the Try Mode (for example with a hero you don’t own) does the stuttering stop? Try Mode is completely offline, so this would be a test to determine if the problem is only occurring in networked / online game modes. If you’re interested in learning more about why Heroes of the Storm may stutter compared to other online games, there was a great post on Reddit a few years back that explained things here.

Reinstalling the game or deleting the cache folder shouldn’t really have an impact on the game stuttering, unless you have the game installed on a slow harddrive or there’s some other program running that’s messing with the game files. This is not really something that we would recommend for troubleshooting stuttering, and it may just be more of a placebo effect in your case.

If the problem doesn’t happen in Try Mode, then you may want to try swapping to a wired connection to see if things get better.

If wired doesn’t help, then I’d recommend running a WinMTR test in the background while you play a match. Feel free to post the results here and we can take a look. Use the </> button to wrap the results to make it easier to read and to allow links.

Well I’ve provided WinMTR results in my previous topic and one of your advisers told me that my laptop is overheating (Which is not) and once again I don’t have any problems with any other online game.

Once I’ve solved the problem by removing firewall rules (10+ of them dunno why and what for to be honest) added by Hots, it worked well for few games but then it came back and removing them doesn’t solve it anymore.

I’ve solved it once by disabling and re enabling my wifi, only worked once for a game.

I’ve got 120+ fps on lowest settings so it’s not hardware issue.

If my girlfriend wouldn’t be playing hots I would dump this game ages ago, it’s a disaster in regards to problems, all my friends left ages ago because of amount of problems they’ve had.

It’s not my wifi, I’ve got this problem while playing at home or my GFs house. Connected to wifi or mobile hotspot doesn’t make any difference, speed isn’t the issue, I’m not losing traffic or whatsoever.

On top of that, I’ve tried in “try mode” and it’s working perfectly fine which means that issue is related to network/connection.
Question is on which side, considering fact that I’ve got newest drivers and tried on different connections (which changes nothing) and on top of that I’m not having any problems while playing other online games means that it’s on yours side (logically) or game engine is being spastic (no problems while playing dota2/lol)

I’m at the point where I’m considering just dumping hots and that’s all, I’m fighting with it for too long, did too much and there is no hope.

Unless you can magically change my mind

Lok’thar Ogar!

Hey Niuniek,

If you are talking about this post, then this was your DxDiag not the WinMTR test. However, since you said it happens on several different networks, then it’s likely something happening on the computer.

While a lot of people have reported stuttering issues over the years, there aren’t any known problems with the game that would be causing that. Stuttering is a symptom of something else, so many different problems can cause this type of problem and as a result, many people may report the same problem but they may have different causes.

In this case, I’d suggest disabling the sound options in the game to see if there’s any change. You can also try dropping the sound channels and quality to the lowest.

Security software can also cause weird issues for only one game so you may want to try disabling or temporarily uninstalling anti-virus programs to test the game by itself.

If none of that helps, then we really need an updated DxDiag and some screenshots of the HWMonitor results so we can see what’s happening. I would also suggest including screenshots of the Resource Monitor. It would also help to clarify if you did a Windows reset or full reformat.

I’ve solved the problem by reducing sound quality to low (previously high).

Definitely something I would like you to look at guys, basic go through options and how they affect the game (with possible optimisation).

Thanks for support!!

I was having this problem in a few different games. Problem was my C drive was nearly full. In case you have the same problem and the above solutions do not work, check your C drive. If it is close to full it can cause this issue.

2 Likes

I am having the exact problem as stated above. Ive tried everything and the stutter continues in “Try mode”.

Ive updated GPU to the latest edition.

From time to time, i can Reboot the computer and the lag goes away. Also, having a second monitor seems to be impacting the stutter lag. If i restart and unplug the second monitor, my chances of no stutter-lag seems to go up.

That’s it! Thanks mate! Had the same issue, cleaned C and now no lags anymore. :+1:

2 Likes

Can confirm. Full drive caused this for me too.

1 Like

My game continues to have a constant 1 second delay between all commands.

I have been playing heroes of the storm since 2015, and I could run the game on the highest graphical and sound quality without stuttering in my gameplay.

internet speed is 28 MS which is considered fast. My computer WELL meets the requirements of the game. i dont have stuttering issues with ANY other game i play, it is only heroes of the storm.

i dont know what to do. Please help me.

1 Like

^^ Same issue as above. I’ve done more than godly possible to fix it including update all drivers, uninstall game with deleting all associated files, update graphics card. Prior to this patch I had no issues with the game, ran them on max settings with low latency.

I am having the same problem, my hots is laggy as hell. Overwatch works perfectly fine but Hots is even slow in the game menu, the whole programma works slow. And I mean unplayable slow, my normal setting are on ultra and even changing to low doesn’t affect the preformance of the game. It is also slow in the try new hero mode, so it definitely not an internet isssue. I have try reinstalling and repair and scan, but to no use.

With people working from home are any of you using Citrix Workspace? That causes massive problems for several games including HOTS because of an addon they have. I had to revert to version 21.8 to avoid the lag it caused.

Every team fight the game freezes for about a second and a half then shoots forward to catch up every time there is a fight. My computer specs are overkill for this game, and I am on High speed internet what is the issue here. I saw that 137 MB thing mine does this too and its been going on for months. When you do you all actually plan on doing anything about this?

By all means if you wont patch it at least tell me what I need to do to your software to fix this stupid freezing issue.

Just did a speed test on my connection I got a 45 Mb down and a 5.5 Mb up so its not my connection.

Happens to me sometimes too, but not in fights.
Out of the blue, no specific event.
Lasting 2 to 5 seconds.
My internet is good and so is my setup.

I closed all of blizzard’s app’s. Did the %appdata%, %localappdata%, %programdata% deletes and it did actually help me… That and I removed citrix since I use it for some work days. Solved all my problems kek. Blue on another recent post had good insight

yeah harddrive can be a problem on several things. some basic tipps:
-check ur pc settings if ur system is outsourcing something to ur harddrive
-check background programs, sometimes antvir (even the standard windows def.) likes to activate in background and clogging ur harddrivve cache
-delete replays regularly (save those u wanna keep somewhere else)
-clean ur harddrive every few month