Game keeps putting me on US servers with best match. I live 11,000 miles away from Ohio

I live in Perth, Australia. I get lag just connecting to the ANZ servers. I often use best match for my preferred game server, as that picks between both ANZ and Singapore servers - they are both small, so using best match lets me play on both servers at once and get somewhat better queue times.

Every few days, for no discernible reason, best match will begin placing me on US servers instead. When that happens, I’ll check region settings and instead of the expected 140+ ms (which is inaccurate, it’s actually 250+ to hit US central) it will show 24 ms. This is IMPOSSIBLE - 24 ms would be hitting a server in Alice Springs (central Australia, near Uluru) or maybe Papa New Guinea or Bali.

Restarts of the game and my computer don’t really seem to help. This issue will just persist until suddenly it fixes and the proper ping shows under preferred game server.

This has been going on for years. This happens intermittently every few days and based on the region tab there seems to be some miscalculation going on where the game thinks I am much closer than I am, so I get placed on the wrong server.

Hey there,

This may be a network routing change or something of the sort since it’s only happening every few days. Most likely the problem is happening between your ISP and the game servers, but it’s hard to know for sure since we don’t have any connection data to go off of.

What I would recommend doing would be to run two traceroutes and do that before and after the issue starts occurring.

The first traceroute you would run to the US Central IP: 24.105.62.129

The second you would run to the Australia IP: 103.4.114.233

That should let you compare the routing when the latency is normal (issue is not occurring).

Then when you notice the problem starts happening, run the two traceroutes again on the same two IPs and compare them to the first set of tests to see if anything is different.

You mentioned that it was showing around 20ms for North America in the menus when it’s putting you on the US servers. Does it show that low of latency in-game as well if you hit Ctrl+Alt+F?

In game, the latency displayed is normal (250ish ms).

Ran several times, looks like it’s consistently timing out at hop 14. For connecting to the USA, it resolves after that. For connecting to Australia, it times out consistently after hop 14.

13 258 ms 259 ms 261 ms ae1-br01-eqsv5.as57976 net [137.221.70.33]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 258 ms 258 ms 262 ms et-0-0-0-pe01-eqch2.as57976 net [137.221.69.47]

13 54 ms 54 ms 54 ms 137.221.66.147
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.

Issue is still ongoing, so can’t compare yet.

Had to remove the period in .net because it won’t let me post “links”

The timeouts are normal, so nothing to worry about there.

If you can post the entire traceroutes that would let us compare the full routes of the before and after.

Once it stops happening and is putting you on Australia/Singapore go ahead and run them again and reply back with those.

Something else that you may want to try would be to delete the Blizzard cache folder, then when you re-launch the game it should check the latency to each game site again.

Sorry still getting info. I can’t post tracerts here because the forums won’t let me post links. How can I get around this? Thanks!

You should be able to copy/paste the full thing here, Ctrl+A to highlight everything, then hit the </> button in the posting section. That should allow it to post without having to break the links.