Game keeps minimizing

I have had this problem for over a year.

While Hots is playing (in fullscreen is my preference) the game will randomly minimize. This can happen during a game, queuing for a game, browsing collection. The place doesn’t matter.

Sometimes, when it minimizes, it will not respond to me clicking on the tab on my Taskbar to attempt to bring it back up, at least for a couple of seconds.

This issue occurs no matter which display mode I use, but it does affect HOW to works.

Fullscreen- Complete minimization of the game.
Windowed modes- Screen stays up, but seems to “Tab out” of the window forcing me to click on the tab on the Taskbar in order to bring me back into the game.

I play on a 144hz monitor @ 144hz in fullscreen mode as my preference with a second monitor on the right that is a 60hz monitor. They both run in 1900x1080 rez with Extended Display.

I have read through all the forum posts I can find and tried their solutions including changing displaymodes in my files, adding it on the Blizzard app, and doing a complete full re-install after deleting all my Hots data. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have been teaching my brother how to play HotS this weekend, and he has the same issue. I do not know if it is OS or graphics card-related, but he is now using the Windowed (Fullscreen) setting, and it stopped doing that while still being visually fullscreen.

Hey all,

The game minimizing or losing focus is usually caused by another program in the background taking focus. There may be another piece of software that is briefly stealing focus and causing this unintentionally.

I’d recommend to try rebooting in Selective Startup mode in order to shut down everything in the background and then test the game again. If this works you can go back into msconfig and enable things little by little to determine what specifically is causing it.

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

It may also be a good idea to run a virus/malware scan with a program like Malwarebytes, in case it is an unwanted program stealing focus.

So, the culprit looks to be AVG Antivirus. I thought it might be Malwarebytes, but it’s not.
I don’t know if many are aware of it, but AVG seems to treat HOTS (or maybe just new patches?) like something potentially malicious, it seems. Once AVG was completely uninstalled (setting HOTS as one of the “safe” programs doesn’t work, and neither does Silent Mode), I stopped having random screen minimizations.

I have this same issue when I play any games from the Battlenet app so I think it’s the app. Did you find a solution?

Hi there,

I was also facing the same problem, any game I played kept minimizing after a few minutes. It was utter frustrating. Then I came across an article and it solved the issue.

The action center notifications can cause your game to minimize if you are using social media in the same computer. Setting up the focus assist feature can help.

To go to Focus Assist settings follow these simple steps:

• Go to Settings from Windows Menu.

• Then go to System.

• Go to the Focus Assist.

• Select the notification priority up to you.

Doing this worked like a charm for me but if your problem doesn’t get solved by it then try the other solutions and check which one works for you.- [Game keeps minimizing]