Game isn't recognizing Graphics Card

Hi there,

I recently installed a graphics card, RX580, that I got for Black Friday. However, when I go into HOTS or Overwatch it is still set to my Intel HD graphics. Games like Fortnite automatically shifted to my G-Card. Does anyone know a fix for this? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that hasn’t fixed anything. Thanks!

Try clean installing both graphic drivers. It is possible the Intel one is not aware of the AMD one for some reason or another.

Check power management configuration so that a high power profile is being used that will prioritize discrete GPU over integrated.

A less than ideal but worst case solution would be to use Device Manager to disable the integrated graphics before playing HotS. This would mean the discrete GPU is the only available GPU so HotS has no choice but to use it.

In most cases with desktops the integrated GPU shouldn’t even be an option unless you have a monitor connected to the motherboard. Would go through the steps provided by DrSuperGood but if there’s still issues we’ll want to grab a DxDiag report to check a few things.

Hey there,

1. I tried what DrSuperGood said and the power plan made no difference. Neither did the drivers.

2. I connect to my monitor through my motherboard because when I connect through Graphics card I get no sound through my speakers. I have no idea why it happens and my speakers are connected to my motherboard. They work fine with integrated graphics enabled and only stop working when connect through graphics card.

Thanks for the feedback though. What now?

SwankyOrc

Please collect a DXDIAG and post it here using the Preformatted Text button in the posting options. Just make sure the full DXDIAG contents are between the Preformatted Text tags.

For optimum performance and compatibility the display must be connected to the discrete graphic card. I would suggest looking into solving the audio problem associated with the display being plugged into the discrete graphic card. Reason is explained in detail below, if it is too wordy feel free to skip it to the advice about solving the audio problem.

Some more modern games that use cutting edge APIs like Vulkan or D3D12 might be able to cope with cross graphic accelerator output at a cost. However most games, especially older ones, will not.

Fundamentally a display is driven by a framebuffer which holds the image which gets displayed and is controlled by a graphic accelerator. After a graphic accelerator finishes drawing a new image, it eventually gets placed in (or becomes) the framebuffer for the display. However this process only happens easily and efficiently if the graphic accelerator owns the framebuffer of the display.

If the graphic accelerator does not own the framebuffer of the display, such as a game to running on a discrete GPU trying to output to a display plugged into the motherboard, things get a lot more complicated. In the old days such configuration was not workable, be it the lack of support to operate multiple graphic accelerators together efficiently or the fact that doing so is excessively complicated and will always result in poor performance. With modern APIs like Vulkan, which were designed around multiple graphic accelerator cooperation, one can get this to work however one still needs to write the software such that a swap chain is formed to move the resulting images to the correct framebuffer for display.

Now obviously laptops somehow manage to do this all fine seeing how laptops with both discrete and integrated graphics are pretty common now. They have been designed at both hardware and software level to do this which is why it works well most of the time. Desktops are not designed to do this.

Advice for solving the audio problem.

• Make sure that the correct playback device is selected as the default playback device. Especially if your display is HDMI it might appear as another playback device to the OS and take priority over your separate speaker system. To do this one can either use Sound Settings or use Sound from Control Panel. One can generate test sounds to confirm which playback device maps to a physical speaker. Some software, like most games, can only use 1 playback device for audio playback at any given time.
  • Try updating the audio drivers for your sound chipset. It could be as simple as a bug which was fixed.
  • In worst case try disabling graphic card audio support. If this cannot be done at a driver, playback device or device manager level then one might be able to do it by reinstalling the drivers. For example during installation of the NVidia graphic drivers one can choose an advanced installation which lets one deselect the graphic card audio drivers. I am unsure if AMD has such an option.
1 Like

Oh my gosh,
THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

I had to change the audio so that instead of AMD sound it would do speakers.

AND NOW IT WORKS GREAT.

While people say this game might be dying, the support in this community is great!

Thanks again!

12 posts were split to a new topic: Zmans - Graphics Initialization Failed