Game crashes on Sun Temple while playing on a Mac

New Update:

Vega 48 (8GB) here. Was playing a lot of games since the update, and can confirm, Sky Temple doesn’t crash anymore. Indirect Shadows are kept off for the time being, everything else is on Ultra.

Thank you

weird …I am sure I haven’t experienced any crashing until today

I have been playing with all setting to ultra and ON in OS Catalina 10.15.4 for all this time and everything’s fine
and this is the first time & first day I have experiencing crash on sky temple

I keep trying to rejoin game like a Retar d until my team lose the match

I am on radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB
128GB ram + core i5 core 3.6ghz + 1tb ssd with macOS Catalina 10.15 .4

Sky temple still crashing, right after the gate opens.
OS 10.5.5 beta, Vega 48
All ultra with indirect shadows off.

Doesn’t crash on other maps, but on ultra every 30 minutes or so a huge lag spike may generate, the whole screen except the cursor freezes for about 10 seconds, automatically reconnects afterwards.

Setting shader to medium solves all the problems, but turning indirect shadows off doesn’t work for me.

Thank you

Thank you for your reports! I’m getting these added to our tracking for our team to look into.

Yes, I am getting freeze (Gpu restart event) too.

UPD: Tested a few games today (custom).
Crashed once out of three games. All on Ultra. Indirect Shadows ON. Reset NVRAM after the first crash. Two games after were fine. Again,at be it’s a coincidence, but not moving a character until the gates open seems to help.

Vega 48

As for Sky Temple, try the following: reset NVRAM, and don’t move your character until the gate opens after the countdown.

TL;DR Sky Temple still crashes. Not every time, but often. This time it’s not always a kernel panic.

I tested three Sun Temple games on MacBook Pro 16-inch with macOS 10.15.4 and Ultra graphics preset (Shaders: Ultra (checked) and Indirect Shadow: Off? (can’t remember)).

Two games with AMD Radeon RX 580 eGPU: no crashed, good performance

One game with internal AMD Radeon Pro 5500M: no crash, good performance

So far so good, I’ll update if crashes occur.

EDIT: Oh, this is after the macOS 10.15.4 supplementary update!

2 Likes

The supplemental patch (19E287), did do something. Before the supplemental patch, Sky Temple would always cause a hard computer reboot. With supplemental patch (19E287), Sky Temple now intermittently crashes to desktop.

While playing on Sky Temple, with performance monitoring on (Ctrl+Alt+F), I occasional noticed a weird icon would flash on. I have never seen this icon before. It was a red and black icon, that looks like a PCI card and its bus slot.

So it looks like some progress has been made, but still not the desired effect.

Thanks for the report, Zentgraf and all! Definitely not ideal to still crash, but the hard crashes and kernel panics seem to be resolved. We’re still seeing some graphical/freezing reports on our end.

[April 14] Update - Information Request!
@CatwalkGhost, our team is looking into this issue further to see if we can replicate the crashes on our end. Could you provide a system report file and send it over to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject: ATTN: Caterpepi - Sun Temple Crashes [27963]?

Anyone else wanting to send over their system reports, please feel free to :slight_smile: It’s greatly appreciated in case our team asks for more files or specifics that we can gather.

Just emailed. Thank you for looking into this further. I’m currently keeping shaders on medium to avoid crashes though

Thank you for the files, CatwalkGhost! I’m getting this sent over to our team and I’ll update here when we have more information to share :slight_smile:

1 Like

Skye Temple is making my iMac 27’ 2019 crash every game I play in this map and makes it reboot, just when game begins and I have all my software updated… I recommend you remove the map until the issue is solved. I’m afraid for my computer and I get reports and penalties every time. Please remove the map until problem is solved I’m not playing the game untill either this is solved or the map is removed temporarily. Thx

MacOS 10.15.5 is out. Does it fix the issue?

I just tried, it does not. If you ever want to test it out, play a custom game on Sky Temple. You won’t get penalized if a custom game crashes.

2 Likes

bad news, even MacOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A4299v) still haven’t solved that issue ( dumb down the shader to medium quality does stop the crashing tho )

MacOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A4299v)
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 128 GB ram
Graphics : radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB

10.15.6 is out. Does it help with the issue at all?

Not that we’re aware of currently. At this time we still recommend lowering shaders if you have this specific issue. There have been mixed reports on Big Sur so far.

1 Like

I am on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5364e)
now that you have mentioned it I just tried to play it on 4k resolution with shade extreme setting again and guess what, still crashing on sun temple

what a joke

maybe I am gonna buy a iMac 2020 to play this game if its what you guys want
what do you feel of Activision slashing half of your team on heroes ?
dont you feel anything ? have you stand up on your company ?
Mac OS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5364e)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019
3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Any update on this? Will this ever be resolved?

its been another month, I dont know what’s going on with their team
I am now on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5395g)
and sun temple is still crashing , how long has it been ? 2 years?