Full PC crash using AMD cards

Getting back into the game after a long hiatus, but I’ve gotten dropped from several matches because my entire PC shuts down in game, on both my rigs. I’ll break this down by PC-

Main PC: vega 56, intel core i7, 4k + 1080p monitors: things are usually ok, but every once in a while both monitors go grey, and the system is entirely unresponsive (even the reset button) until I hit the power and manually reboot.

and now the weird one: RX580, old intel core i5, 3 1080p monitors: PC will physically shut down upon entering a match.

I don’t want to face the penalties of deserting matches until this is fixed, which means I’m entirely unable to play at the moment. For what it’s worth, this ran in 4k fine on my old GTX 970, so maybe this is an AMD issue? idk

Hey Korwin,

Oof that sucks. My game used to crash all the time till I was able to fix my drivers.

1. I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the game seeing as you are coming from a long break.
  2. If that don’t work try reinstalling your drivers
  3. If that doesn’t work try unplugging 2 of your monitors and using only 1 cuz i’ve heard of some problems using multiple monitors. I hope this helps!

Korwin,

If you’ve already updated your AMD drivers on both PCs, usually you see this kind of problem when there’s a hardware issue like a CPU overheat or potentially a power issue.

I recommend a stress test to try to duplicate it without the game running. We’re going to try checking for overheating on the CPU or GPU by running a stress test. For this, I like to run three programs - HWMonitor for hardware sensing, Heaven Benchmarking Tool to test the GPU, and Prime95 to stress test the CPU.

You’re going to need to download these three programs, and run all of them simultaneously. For Heaven, try running in windowed mode at the high graphics setting. For Prime95 you want to run the “Blend” test. All of these need to run for 2-3 hours, so I recommend doing it at a time when you can casually monitor your HWMonitor results and keep an eye out for extended periods of overheating - like during a day you’re cooking something or watching a movie or something.

If you find overheating, you can take the computer to a PC tech to have that resolved. If the computer crashes or restarts spontaneously before the overheating test is over, you will need to do the same because there’s probably a power problem or an even more dangerous overheating issue. If you can run the test for more than 2-3 hours without an overheating CPU/GPU, then get some screenshots of the test and send them in to us. To do this:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

You’ll want to put the link between a pair of ` marks (same key as the tilde ~)

like this

Let us know how it looks!

1 Like

been running a few minutes now, and the GPU has been staying in the 60-70 range, but that CPU is getting pretty hot. It just hit 90C, and if it doesn’t cool down soon I’m going to have to stop so I don’t damage it. Would CPU temps climb that high just playing HotS though?

Korwin,

This is what I expected. The Starcraft 2 Engine, which HotS uses, is CPU heavy. If you’re hitting 90 C, please end that test. Have someone who’s experienced with PC repair - like a local PC technician - take a look at the thermal paste and fans for your CPU. If they fix the CPU heat issue you should be good to go.

Alright, thanks. I’m definitely getting a new cooler tomorrow, that was scary lol. Thanks for the help, Windows was probably just shutting it down for safety and I never saw the notification due to the “in game mode” or whatever.