Fps drops/freez

Hello everyone. A few days ago my hots start randomly freezing for 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it comes 1x for 10 minutes, Sometimes 3x for a minute. I see my fps is normal around 70 and when its freez, its drop to 20 and go again to 70. Its doing only in hots. Im playing on my setup like 4 years without Any problems until now. I tried everything, reinstal whole W10, reinstal all drivers, try to get worse grafic quality of game, change settings of my gpu… nothing help. Everything is up to date.

Any ideas how to fix it?
Please, im desperate…

Thanks,
Jacob

2 Likes

This can be caused by an unreliable connection with the HotS servers. Every time there is a latency spike the game will freeze and then have to fast forward to catch up during which there will be a low frame rate.

Less likely but still possible is that asset stalls can cause this. These happen when there is a large latency reading game data from backing storage (HDD or SSD) forcing the game to freeze until an asset is loaded. Similar to above there will then be low frame rate as the game fast forwards at maximum speed to catch up.

Thank you for answer! :slight_smile:

This is exactly what happaned every time it freez… it will go fast foward to catch it up. So if i understand corretly it will be problem with connection or SSD. I tested Ping stability while playing and didnt see problems in that moment of freez… and SSD… sure, it can be broken, but is this possible if these freezes are just in hots? I tried to download Dota2 (very boring :slight_smile: )and game works just fine…

HotS is not a demanding game. It has some frame pacing consistency issues at times (the odd frame lost) but should not be freezing or dropping below 60 FPS on a decent system.

DotA2 uses a synchronization model closer to how Diablo III, World of Warcraft and Overwatch works rather than HotS which is very similar to Warcraft III and Starcraft II works. This makes it less prone to unreliable connections causing such issues. In these games, lost or delayed packets will cause some odd movement artefacts such as teleporting or sliding rather than forcing the game to pause and then catch up the lost time.