FPS drop in macOS Mojave 10.14.1 and HotS 39.2

Hello everyone!

I’d like to report some sudden performance issue I encountered recently. The game worked flawlessly on highest settings in 1080p resolution on a base 2018 15’’ MacBook Pro (on Mojave 10.14). After I upgraded to 10.14.1 on macOS and HotS to 39.2 (I did it the same day, so wouldn’t know what to blame exactly) the major FPS drop started occurring. I need to drop my resolution to 1600x900 and reduce all settings to Medium in order to have a smooth frame rate.

You can notice on the video - YouTube how even on medium settings the fps is smooth at first and then for example when I just toggle the Loadout it drops drastically and then return to normal when I close it.

I’ve no background running apps and stuff, did all the recommended optimizations from Blizzard and the web in general.
But to be honest doesn’t think it’s a optimization issue, since it was running perfectly few days ago. I believe it has something to do with 10.14.1 macOS or the latest HotS version, or both.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

5 Likes

Hi I’d like to add that I’m also experiencing a similar thing since HOTS recent patches in Mojave (Both 10.14 and now 10.14.1)

I used to play Ultra and never had a performance issue. In the past month, it’s been terrible.

Symptoms:

• Consistent lags IG
  • Mouse lags IG AND in menus when opening loots, during Hero select in Brawl, after a game in the MVP view and more… For example, the mouse will move extremely slowly at the end of a game (Victory window) or at hero select in brawls etc.
  • Lags anytime there is a team fight and Ults are used )Lots of graphic effects)
  • Longer than usual loading times (Start of the game, switching form one view to another (Play, Collection, Loot … )
  • The game doesn’t run smoothly at all like it used to do.
  • Fans running high very quickly (It used to take 2-3 hours of play before that happened)
  • Inconsistent freezes. Freezes don’t happen all the time but when they do I get a 1-3 sec of freeing (Happened more with lowest graphic settings actually…)

What I’ve tried already:

• Reducing my graphic settings to the minimum did solve part of the problem IG but it turns out it doesn’t remove some of the mouse lags I’m having IG and frequent freezes.
    => I’m still experiencing slow downs, freezes and mouse lags
  • Other MAC forums Troubleshooting steps I found in Battlenet EU/US forums
    => Issue persists
    => no changes noticed.
  • Update macOS system and third party apps to the latest version
    => Issue persists
  • Quitting any other application or process running in the background other than macOS system processes
    => Issue persists
  • Disconnect external monitor and all peripherals other than wired Razor DeathAdder mouse and wired Apple extented keyboard
    => Issue persists
  • Turning off any backup process
    => Issue persists
  • Test on a different region (Americas)
    => Issue persists
  • Switching from Windowed mode to Full screen

Also to note, the Battlenet app crashes very often and I had to reset all game settings, delete the Battlenet, Agent, Caches folders to resolve multiple times.

Specs:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
CPU: 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
Storage: Fusion Drive 3TB

Would love to get some assistance!

Nonylus

Yup. I’m on an iMac 5k with AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Used to be just about fast enough on all Ultra.

Since Mojave it’s super slow whatever I do. Had to hammer the settings right down :frowning:

So we can get some more info on this, what kind of drives do y’all have Mojave installed on? This is an issue we’re seeing reports in WoW with as well due to Mojave requiring APFS which does not work well with regular and fusion drives.

I’m on a 500GB SSD:

Here’s the dump from System Report:

Available: 77.43 GB (77,425,082,368 bytes)
Capacity: 449.97 GB (449,969,106,944 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: APFS
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: EA7D70C0-243C-3470-9529-A8F28DC15244
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE SSD SM0512F
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: Unknown
SMART Status: Verified

I’m on a 3TB original Apple Fusion drive that Mojave converted to APFS. Hopefully I can help with the deeper troubleshooting, let me know how I can help narrow this down.

The thing is, APFS is one way, I can’t revert back. Had I known, I wouldn’t have upgraded.

None

Any updates Zhyxen ?

Could we also get what GPU y’all are running? Would like to see if this may be related to the statement made by Nvidia here. I am seeing one report of an AMD card from kazaroth but would like to see what everyone else is using.

nvidia 775m 2gb (iMac 2013)

Same Here. MacBook Pro 2018 biggest version.
I had to put graphics down to 1400x900 with lowest detail… and it is till lagging!
Radeon RX 560 here

that’s an amd card.

and kazaroth also has an amd card and complained before nvidia gpus were accused.

so not an nvidia issue.

what I’ve done to kill mouse lags on Mojave:

1. 1600x900, windowed mode (not full window), graphic settings on maximum, vsynch off
  2. closed Logitech control center (mouse program)
  3. lowered to zero mouse movement in System Settings in Mojave (to rip off cursor acceleration)
  4. set high DPI in mouse’s (G700) memory to increase cursor’s movement speed.

The result is no lagging cursor and gameplay but playing in window isn’t much fun.

MacOS 10.14.1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
500GB SSD

Game used to run great at full resolution with moderate settings. Have to run it on low everything now to get decent performance HALF the time. Latest patches seemed to have done something that is causing a lot of mouse lag and jumping in game.

I already sent my specs in my first post but here they are again:

Specs:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
3TB Fusion Drive

MacbookPro 13’(mid-2014)
with integrated Intel Iris
Used to be able to run the game at 60FPS in 1080p with lowest settings, which is playable.
Right now the games runs at 30FPS in 720p, which is unplayable.

Similar issue here. Played very frequently smoothly on High Sierra with only rare internet related issues. Currently every game HOTS match I’m in lags and stutters to the point of not being able to play or control my character.

I’m on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014):
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Really regretting this Mojave upgrade as I basically can’t play on this computer now. Unfortunately I was foolish and did not set a restore point for High Sierra. I’ve never had issues this bad with any mac OS update.

I also had the mouse permissions issue but was able to easily fix that :(.

Same problem

MacBook Pro mid-2012
macOS 10.14.2
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 Mo
251 Gb flash hardrive

Been playing HOTS on this Mac since the beta. Never had major issue before, even after upgrading from one macOS to the next, with decent FPS on medium setting.

After I updated to Mojave, not only I got the mouse/microphone problem like most people (fixed), but my fps rate was divided by two, making the game unplayable.

Oh, and strangely enough, the fans do NOT blow at max speed anymore when running HOTS (unlike usually or for my test with Civ V). It’s like my MacBook Pro does not bother working at its full power when running the game…

Ok Guys you wanna know something really strange?

I just compared HOTS under Mac OS between my new Macbook and my Oldtimer

New one: Macbook mit 2018, 2.6 GHZ, Radeon RX560
Mojave 10.14.2

Old one: Macbook late 2013, 2,3 GHZ, Nvidia GT 750M
High Sierra 10.13.6

Well after when we saw in this tread the results should not be unexpected… The old Macbook runs HOTS SOOOOOOO MUCH smother on MAC-OS.
Even swiching of all grapic details the new macbook runs hots slugish. Its just playable on 1440X900.

Under windows (bootcamp) however reverse Story: The New macbook with all setting on MAX and 2880X1800 runs smooth. No lags at all.

Please Blizzard fix this! An 5 years old mashine beaating a new one can not be intended! (And when I bought the new one 2 month back its was NOT the case for sure! I never used bootcamp then).

Thanks for this test, it proves we’re not all crazy and that we need full compatibility with Mojave which has been out for several month now so it’s more than time to patch this!!

I’ve recently switched from a late 2013 27" GTX780 to a 5k 575. I did not notice any differences when upgrading from 10.13.6 to 10.14, certainly no frame drops. The 2013 machine has a 256 GB SSD while the new one has a 1 TB fusion, both formatted with APFS. Both run the game at 60-130fps, the GTX780 on medium, the RX575 on High. Both at 2560x1440.

The only thing that was noticeable was that on the 5k the fps would drop to 20 after a few games. That problem went away when I upgraded the RAM from 8 to 16 GB. (The 2013 machine had 16 GB already when I bought it)