Does Blizzard knowingly do this?

Does Blizzard knowingly write algorithms that put your counters on the enemy team deliberately every single game, or am I just having MONUMENTALLY bad luck?
It seems as though every game I play, whatever hero it is, the enemy team has atleast 2 or more of that hero’s counters, completely trashing me every game.

If you talkin about qm, then yes.

There is some bad algorithim that puts murky against butcher or alarak.

I play alarak in qm often, and there is a murky almost every match on enemy side.
I have no problem with this, except that I have to chase murky the whole match as my team of randoms dont know soaking.

There is one that match full assassins vs waveclear enemies in big maps making objectives redundant.

You want to play against genji or tracer or valeera? Pick ktz and I guarantee one of them will be on the other side.

Dwellers in forums dont play qm so much so they will tell you: you’re trippin.

Ye they all went to ranked were comps are not a problem cause we all know qm is just a coin toss /s

1 Like

That’s called “they’re both Melee Assassins and fairly popular”. There’s no sinister algorithm putting specific counters against you.

Also, The Butcher is not a Murky counter. Murky eats Butcher for breakfast. Without milk.

11 Likes

Sounds like confirmation bias to me. I play Artanis all the time in QM, and rarely go up against a full blind team, or one of his hard counter, such as Arthas.

3 Likes

I don’t even know who my mains are countered by (yes I’m bad shut up)

If you are choosing a hero who can be answered in many different ways, I can see you coming to this conclusion. QM is not built this way however. The only tampering is to equalize teams based on roles. If one team has a tank, the other will most likely have one too.

1 Like

Instead of complaining about getting matched up againts hard counters maybe get better and learn something from it. But its more easy just to give up when life throws a wall infront of you instead of you finding a way to get past it.

Does he use water or orange juice?

I’m probably the only one who’ll laugh at my reference/joke.

No.

He eats him with BLOOD

I have like 8k games in QM. Just because I play in high elo SL doesn’t mean I’m not a QM player. I do ranked only for the rewards (plus I admit the Masters border looks dope).

And what ppl experience when they notice being “countered by qm” is confirmation bias.

3 Likes

Bruh what sacrilege is this

Not specifically.

But if you play a hero that you have a high win rate with, QM will tend to throw your counters at you.

BW didn’t use to be played much. But Whenever I pick Tracer, I’d have her, Illidan or Valeera, or all three on the enemy team.

1 Like

It’s amusing how he only makes it worse.

1 Like

the very stuped kind.

false.

yup :smiley:

This was a genuine question, as I was being curious. And while I admit I am pretty bad and have been getting better every game, your comment made me think if you have something personal against me, or if you’re just a sour person regardless.

there are a lot of people who come onto the forum with zero posts, make topics that are not serious questions and leave.

I suspect that is why you got such a “hostile/bitter” response from Frogaron.

Best of luck!

5 Likes

Yes. Blizzard definitely has absolute control over every possible matchup, and they are deliberately using that power to specifically create games that their players are unhappy with, rather than use it to create ideal matchups to attract more players. They do this because the Elder Gods they serve demand a daily offering of misery to be dissuaded from ending our world. It’s all for a good cause, really.

4 Likes

Monumentally normal “luck.” Most heroes have more counters than they realize, whether it’s hypermobiles or CC or just specific burst heroes that destroy you. Sometimes it’s not even one hero but combinations that are heavy on all of those strategies. I tend to have similar luck. I’ll end up with a Butch or Sonya on the enemy team and no stun. Let me tell you how much fun it is to watch them literally solo a 5 man team over and over because randoms can’t figure out how to focus their burst. It’s QM.

The algorithm is pretty simple, and needs to be to maximize the speed of finding you a match. Think of it as a search. It searches for possible teams that have equal numbers of each of the 6 classes of heroes (tank, heal, support, bruiser, etc) and no duplicates. That’s about it. It even allows duplicates during the first 2 weeks of new hero release.

Why don’t they do more? Why not force a tank or bruiser and a healer in every match so you’d have a better chance at a proper comp? Because it now puts two categories (tank, healer) with few people who want to play them as requirements. The wait time goes up. Blizzard tried it, thought the waits were too long, and undid the change.

Me? I’d wait longer for a better game, but Blizz doesn’t give me a toggle to say “I’ll wait for a front line and healer”. For me, I’ll happily wait 5 minutes so I don’t waste 15 minutes in a no-healer meatgrinder game, but it’s not an option.

1 Like