Crashing Error Requiring Restart

I encounter this error anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of playing the game. I did a clean factory reset of my computer and reinstalled GPU drivers. Before this, I got a directx11 or x9 crash and haven’t since gotten the same crash. Instead, I am going straight to a blue screen DPCWatchdogViolation error. After researching the problem, it could be because I have an Intel integrated graphics card and an Nvidia graphics card. I tried to resolve this by using the Nvidia profile inspector for HOTS and setting it to use Nvidia. I also use an SSD and an HDD where HOTS is on the HDD but Battle-net is on the SSD and that may have also been the issue. I didn’t resolve this on the reinstall because I had hoped the problem would resolve itself.

1 Like

You can try disabling the intel graphics completely from the UEFI.

Make sure both CPU and GPU are not overclocked to rule out an unstable overclock as the cause (overclocks may lose stability over time as the chips age).

I recommend running some hardware stress tests to make sure your system is stable. Use FurMark for GPUs and Prime95 (AVX mode if supported) for CPUs. A correctly functioning system will run both of them for a long time without error. If errors are displayed or the system crashes then there is a hardware fault.

Check both CPU and GPU thermals. If either run quite warm that may indicate an overheating issue. Even if the CPU or GPU are within operating ranges other parts of the system like PSU or VRM might not be which can cause stability issues.

Ideally you want HotS installed on an SSD, like all games, for optimal loading times. However spreading the BattleNet application and HotS between drive should have no ill effect unless one of the drives is defective. Make sure your SSD TBW is within manufacturer specification and replace if not.

Thank you for your response. I’ve got a less than a year old Razer Blade Pro laptop so I believe all the devices are all up to par. I ran the furmark and didn’t get over 80C which I was happy with. I disabled the Intel graphics card through device manager and Ill let you know if I get a crash. Otherwise. I’m still experiencing black screen crashes that allow limited interactivity with windows elements but otherwise lock me out of the computer.

Update: Without the onboard graphics driver, the game is maxing out my CPU at 100%. This pretty much confirms to me that it wont use my better graphics card. I’m not sure how to make it because the Nvidia profile selector is now* set to make EVERY program use the Nvidia card

Update 2: It would seem buying a gaming laptop is the problem. The Nvidia and Intel graphics cards trade back and forth to save power on laptops but HOTS can’t find the Nvidia card. I need someway for it to recognize and use the Nvidia card for its primary display.

you should be able to set your primary in the graphics control panel.

check this out:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/

also, dont forget to make sure your power settings are set up correctly. while you are looking around the settings. there should be settings for plugged in vs on battery. you want the highest performance setting while you are plugged in. sometimes this isnt the default.

edit:
another possibility though is use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove any driver remants after uninstalling them. then reinstall your driver. i have seen this fix problems that sometimes occur on laptops with dual graphics.