CPU usage spike, high temps

I’m not sure if there’s still a dedicated HotS dev team at Blizzard, but whoever is handling patches (or higher-ups managing maintenance), please look into this issue.

A game that used to run light and smooth is suddenly causing abnormal CPU load, which leads to high temperatures and severe fan noise.

This issue becomes blatantly obvious when setting CPU Affinity to a single core.
If the dev team has access to builds from prior versions, please run a side-by-side test with the previous version to see the difference.

I don’t know what patch did it, but I stopped playing HOTS because of this.

Every time I launch the game now, I get this “downloading data” pop up that I never did before. It takes 5-6 seconds to go away and then the game starts to load.

The loading time for me used to be around 5 seconds to get to the login window. The login time took about 5 seconds to get to the main game screen.

Now, it takes about 35-40 seconds for this game to get all the way in. Sometimes the game is also unplayable, and I have to restart it a few times. The FPS goes from 60 to 4-5 fps in the main menu and back and forth.

Once in game, I have to get lucky. Most of the time now the mouse feels like it’s being dragged and the FPS it’s all over the place.

I never noticed if the CPU usage and temps were going up, but it would make sense. This game is so old and never used to use much of my cpu power. i5 13600k btw. But I did check and I’m at like 90% usage and the temps reach 80+c. This game “NEVER” did this before a recent patch.

I play POE2 a lot and the cpu usage hardly goes above 60% and the temps over around 78c. Sooo, a new game utilizing CPU Usage and temps a lot better then this 20+year old game that can run on a potato seems like it’s best to avoid hots in fear of my CPU burning up.

Edit: I just dug through these forums a bit and it seems like other are reporting weird CPU type issues as well. Since the game is pretty much dead, many people may not even know this is happening or both to report it.

Oh well, until I see a fix for it. It will remain uninstalled.

Blizzard’s current article says the known issue where Heroes repeatedly prepares game data was fixed:

https://support.blizzard.com/en/article/303962

If this still happens on a fully updated installation, please add your Windows version and build, CPU and GPU, and whether the download occurs on every launch.

For a Windows crash or launch issue, a DxDiag would give us something useful to work with. Can you add one here?

Click here to show/hide DxDiag report instructions
  1. Press Windows Key + R, then type DxDiag and press Enter.
  2. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  3. Name the file dxdiag and click Save.

After you have the report:

If you have trouble posting the URL, highlight the link and click the </> button on the post editor toolbar.

It may not show the cause, but it can provide useful system information.

It would also help to say whether the high CPU usage and temperatures occur only while Heroes is running.