Computer shuts off

Hello there, recently I would log onto HoTs and sometimes right out of loading screen my computer will just shutdown and restart, sometimes it does this while in the middle of a quick match. I don’t know what the issue is? I haven’t changed any hardware, and my temperatures are fine. Please help!

Hey, Supreme!

A computer rebooting without an error or Windows Bluescreen is more commonly caused by Overheating. Computer issues such as these are technically outside of our scope of support. You can read more about this situation here:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000605.htm

I would recommend downloading HWMonitor and monitor your GPU and CPU to see if it is reaching hotter than normal temperatures:

You may also want to look for system errors in your Windows Error Reports to see if anything useful is there.

Shutdowns are usually the result of some kind of power or thermal safety tripping. To fix them one must first identify the cause.

One way to detect if the motherboard VRM is the cause is to stress the CPU to a high power state. This is traditionally done by running an application like Prime95 with an all core all thread workload. This will thermally strain both CPU and motherboard VRM. If the system quickly shuts off then it is likely either the power supply unit or motherboard VRM are overheating. If you cannot get prime95 to max all threads in task manager to 100% then try an application like Cinebench R20 and run the all core benchmark. A correctly functioning system should not turn off when running either test and instead the CPU should be limited by temperature, power or boost behaviour.

One way to detect if the GPU VRM is overheating is to run a GPU stress test. This is traditionally furmark which is designed to maximum GPU power usage. This will stress both the GPU and GPU VRM thermally. If the system quickly turns off then it is likely either the power supply unit or GPU VRM are overheating. A correctly functioning system should not turn off and instead the GPU should be limited by temperature, power or boost behaviour.

If neither of these tests cause the system to shutdown then it is more likely the power supply is the cause. One way to test this would be mixed benchmarks which load both CPU and GPU heavily at the same time, but I cannot recommend one off the top of my head. The most common reason for this would be that the PSU cooling efficiency is reduced due to dust build up or a failing fan while the PSU power ratting is close to the system power draw. In this case a bit of manual servicing of the PSU, removing dust from the airflow path and components, might be sufficient to fix the issue. Make sure to unplug all mains connectors from the computer and wait a few minutes before performing any such servicing.

I assume you have no CPU and GPU overclocks enabled, even those offered to you automatically. Overclocking is prone to causing this kind of shutdown if performed with very low end components. This is because by nature of overclocking the power efficiency of components is reduced and can easily push the low end components to their limits. Overclocking RAM with the shipped XMP profiles is fine, should not cause this and is recommended from a performance point of view.

I know of at least 2 people who had such shutdowns when using older 6 core Ryzen processors. The cause of one of them was the motherboard provided automatic overclocking features which either made a horribly unstable overclock (which can be a cause by itself), or used so much power the motherboard VRM overheated in a few seconds. First and second generation Ryzen chipset motherboards are prone to this problem especially near the bottom of the stack as they often had woeful VRM. Second generation Ryzen processors are prone to this problem as they had potentially ludicrous power usage and could be inserted into any AM4 motherboard, even the cheapest.

Hey thanks for the responses. I’m going to give those two programs a try and see how it works. Anyways, I run Fallout 76 just fine, no problems. And I keep Speccy up to check my temps, my temps are fine. Let’s see how this goes.

Same error here… after each match, my computer restart with any error.
Windows events show POWER PROBLEM, but its hard to believe, cause i play dozen of other games on ULTRA SETTINGS and nothing happen…
Just with Heroes of the storm!

Hey there Destructor,

As Ibaraius mentioned, when the system suddenly restarts, this indicates a critical system failure which is typically due to an issue with Windows or hardware within the machine. Here are some of the common causes for system restarts:

• Hardware Overheating
  • Conflicting/Corrupted Drivers
  • PSU (Power Supply Unit) Issue
  • Faulty Ram (Memory)
  • Graphics Card
  • CPU & Thermal Paste (Motherboard)

Keep in mind that a game cannot cause your system to restart, but is only triggering some underlying issue. In order to isolate what is causing your specific problem I recommend these resources:

One last note: please do not bump old threads, but instead create your own so that we can address your issue individually. I am locking this thread as it’s rather old at this point and the underlying issue falls outside of the scope of what we can assist with.