Communication, same language would be nice

Communication is impossible for me when they dont speak english. 3 ranked games yesterday and all 3 had 4 others on my team not speaking english. I’m in NA, im sure there are plenty of english speaking players online. One game they were arguing with a lot of caps lock, then 1 afk’d. I dont understand spanish, but key words do make sense… not only were they seemingly toxic but i cant say soak or clear top 1st or whatever to try and help us win the game…

How can i set a preference to only match with players with english game settings? I looked and the best i could find was region and server preference which are already set.

3 Likes

Hey! We, the Spanish speakers, must to learn English almost forcibly since the language of our neighbors is present in a lot of aspects of our lifes. It will be nice if at least you learn some Spanish (since Mexico is part of Northamerica) just to know what your team think and to report people who are toxic.

I provide free lessons if you are interested.

13 Likes

There are 3 issues with this.
The system doesnt know what languages a player does or doesnt speak
2 if you created new regons base on common language then many of those regions woulnt have a large enough player base leading them to make accounts in the larger regions and as such solving nothing.
3 if you base it on the language settings then you prevent multi lingual players from haveing the game in their primary lang and again fragment the playerbase causing them to set the interface to english and again solving absolutely nothing other that preventing people from having the interface in their prefered lang

1 Like

I shouldnt have to learn a language to be able to communicate and play the game.

Pings seem confusing for people… danger must mean the lowest hp hero should go check that camp or area alone. Retreat clearly means stand your ground and die even though we know they are all headed for you.

Like i said i can pick up on key words, some are really close to french which i have some experience with but i just wanna say things and have people know the plan or why we need to ban or pick a hero.

5 Likes

You don’t need to speak the same language to communicate and play the game, pings are more than often enough.

15 Likes

What can i to say… Learn Spanish, as other people learn English. Spanish too one of popular languages on the planet. Especially since what Mexico and South America is near.

2 Likes

I’ve played with teammates whose languages I didn’t understand, which was a bit annoying.
I just ping whatever I think needs to be taken care of, and then ping the person who I would like to do it. Even with language barriers, everyone can understand pings

4 Likes

Exactly so :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face:

2 Likes

On EU servers we have our Russian friends that tend to be rather talkative on chat (not implying anything about their toxicity and I’m not even sarcasming), the thing is that not only the language is obviously different, but the alphabet also is so trying to guess what they mean via other languages we may know is out of the question. Sometimes I can pull out a hero’s name out of this mess but that’s all. I wish I could have some kind of software that could read what’s on a certain part of my screen and translate it. Pretty sure this exists, though. Might want to look it up.
I must admit I sometimes pull out my phone and take a picture of my screen via Google Translate so I can get what they say but I must look like a total idiot

5 Likes

laughs in European

Just a short excerpt from my latest games:
English, German, French, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, Polish

In all fairness, most speak English. Other languages are difficult to quantify (stereotypes: some countries talk more than others), but German, Russian, French is fairly common.

I made some great foreign friends, though :artaniscool:

11 Likes

They can easily provide options that you can select for the top 3 languages that you speak, then it can use that to do matchmaking. Laziness is the only thing preventing that.

1 Like

You could always learn more languages.

7 Likes

In Asia server, I rarely type in Allied Chat and I don’t even bother with Team Voice Chat because I can’t really understand most of what them Koreans/Chinese/Taiwanese (and couple Vietnamese) say, so we always have this unspoken agreement to communicate by specific pings and numbers.

I do remember one Infernal Shrines game with a Korean Genji player who was telling us some things to do but none responded cuz we were in a match in Taiwan region server, so I was actually relieved when he decided to type in English, and the match went well with us having the victory. (Before that tho, a hella lot of pings were involved kekku.)

3 Likes

u talk like english is THE language

1 Like

Ta juste a aprendre une nouvelle langue et voila ton probleme est réglé il y a plein de gens qui parle deux langues ou plus , il n’y a pas vraiment d’éxcuse de seulement en parler qu’une seule . :+1:

1 Like

That is the most creative use of accent marks I’ve seen in a long, long while. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hold on!! There are 3 official languages in North America. A good amount of people speak French as their 1st language. OP should learn French too since he/she is playing in NA server.

3 Likes

All I need to know is “jajajajajajajajajajaja”.

Agreed. Remove text and voice chat.

5 Likes

Far more productive than explaining how queue times work to people here.

I think I might pick up French and Japanese.

3 Likes

Answered in your 3rd point.

I find that the “abusive text/voice chat” report that was perfectly fit for these situations.

“Multi lingual”, which means they do know English. Then what’s the inconvenience here?