Chen Buff -- Fortifying Brew and Attack Damage

Hey! Competitive Discussion, for HotS–dead forum. Why am I here?

I, uh… Play HotS occasionally and got into it recently because a buddy of mine told me that he plays!–so, it’s been fun and all. I honestly don’t know the intricacies of the pro-scene. I, uh… Don’t really care! Well–I have some thoughts, I guess–but I kind of ‘discovered’ Chen, when my friend shipped Murky, and I was thinking that I really love ‘troll’ characters, and that Chen and Murky exist at two ends of this spectrum. Chen is really… Independent. He just kind of holds his own, and not much else.

Well–I have a really cool skin and mount for Chen, and I found myself drawn to his character; there are two fantasies that I like to entertain about Chen–one, that he can sit in the middle of combat pretty comfortably, tanking tons of damage thanks to Fortifying Brew–and two, that he’s a martial artist. He’s not an assassin in the regard that his damage is limited, but he should fit into the role of a bruiser. He’s not much good at anything else. He can sit in a lane, but he’s not a great pusher.

So, there are really only two things that I want to see out of Chen. I mean–I’ve barely looked at his Talents. I just chose the ones that I felt were the most martial artsy, or the ones that seemed to emphasize him as a brawler. So I would improve his Fortifying Brew to be a third of his total health value, but make it wear off over a longer duration, and give him a sizeable attack damage boost.

Fortifying Brew, 25 Brew per second
200 Shield per second, up to 800 Health, for up to 4 seconds,
wears off at a rate of 100 Shield per second after channeling,
6 second Cooldown.

Attack Damage, 110

(So I looked at the details, and felt there were some challenges to approaching a redesign of Fortifying Brew. Why 5s cooldown? Why 50 Brew per second?–the version that I decided to go with allows for Chen to gain infinite shields by staying in one place and drinking–and I liked that fantasy. I also think that keeping the cooldown short is what players want to see–but I think that 6 seconds is more meaningful. I also reduced the Brew generation to only a quarter of his max pool, and I think that would emphasize his resource management better.)

20 Attack Damage increase, is warranted I think. Because of the theme of Chen, he’s either drinking or he’s fighting–but he can’t do both at the same time. He deserves to be strong in both of those areas independently.

You actually can do infinite shields already If you go globe quest at level 1 and then Get shield talent at 13. You can just keep spamming it with no cooldown. (The cooldown is the same as the time you drink brew, so it’s non existent, also the 13 talent just makes it quicker initial shielding.)

So there you have it your dream come true