CDC #7 - Hemet Nesingwary, Big Game Hunter

Hemet Nesingwary, Big Game Hunter - Ranged Assassin
Health: 1875
Attack Damage: 97
Mana: 500

Mercenary Replacement: Hemet’s game changer is his ability to replace a mercenary camp with his own unique minions. His Stranglethorn Tigers are generally more effective than other mercenaries, and can be enhanced with talents.

Gameplay wise, I see two main ways to play Hemet. One is as a single target sustain DPS, with Arcane Shot and Grazing Shot. This build would use Frost Trap to protect himself and prepare the area for combat. The second is as something of a rush down DPS, leaning into the Tigers as added DPS and bodies while marching right down the enemy’s throat.

Abilities

Q - Arcane Shot: Hemet fires an enchanted, dealing 150 damage to the first enemy hit. The next Arcane Shot that hits the target in 3 seconds deals 20% extra damage.
5 Charges
0.75s Cooldown
5s Charge Refresh

A simple spammable line skill shot. The tricky part is the bonus for hitting the same target. It really embraces the kind of hunter I was going for, one that rewards accuracy and precision.

W - Frost Trap: Hemet sets a frost trap at a nearby location that, when triggered, slows enemies in the area by 40%, decaying over 3s. The Frost Trap is visible to enemies. Only one Frost Trap may be out at a time.
6s Cooldown

This trap would help prepare the area and seal off choke points. The idea is to give your team the advantage at the beginning of any fight, and also as a means of preemptive escape should you come under fire.

E - Grazing Shot: Hemet’s shot grazes the target, causing them to bleed for 250 damage over 5s and revealing them for the duration. Friendly Tigers are drawn to the scent and focus on the target.
7s Cooldown

More DPS, really. The talents give it some fun utility as well, and if the Tigers are nearby, it can become seriously dangerous.

R1 - Explosive Trap: Hemet sets a trap that, when triggered, deals 350 damage in a large area. Only one Explosive Trap may be out at a time. Explosive Trap is visible to enemies.
25s Cooldown

R2 - Snake Trap: Hemet sets a trap that, when triggered, creates a snake pit in an area. Enemies who remain in the area are poisoned, dealing 50 damage per second for 3 seconds and reducing healing received by 25%. The duration increases the longer they’re in the area. The snake pit lasts 10s
90s Cooldown

Explosive Trap is a huge AoE nuke with moderate damage and a decently low cooldown. Helps to soften the enemy team up before and during the fight.

Snake Trap offers more utility and control, decreasing the enemy team’s survivability.

Trait - Base Camp: Hemet channels for 5s, setting up a Base Camp in an empty non-Boss Mercenary Camp. The camp spawns two Stranglethorn Tigers instead of its normal units. Tigers have a melee AoE attack, and a Pounce that closes the gap and damages a single target. When enemies would capture the camp, it is instead destroyed and they gain weakened Tigers.
5m Cooldown
3m Respawn Timer

Hemet’s Gamechanger. They’re generally more powerful than other Merc camps, and they’re weaker if the enemy manages to capture them. They behave just like other Mercs, meaning you have to capture them as per usual, but they can be upgraded with Talents and have some synergy with Grazing Shot. The Tigers will be on CD for the same amount of time as when you took the camp, or their base CD of 3 minutes, whichever is lower.

Talents

Level 1

• Enchanted Ammo Pouch - (Quest) Triggering the bonus damage of Arcane Shot against a Hero increases the base damage of Arcane Shot by 5.
    • (Reward) Gain an extra charge every 50 damage.
  • Big Game Hunting - Hemet deals 25% more damage to, and takes 25% less damage from, Mercenaries
  • Serrated Teeth - When Frost Trap activates, the triggering Hero is afflicted by Grazing Shot’s full effect

Level 4

• Tiger Mastery - (Quest) Gathering Regeneration Globes reduces the respawn of all Base Camps by 10s.
    • (Reward at 15 Globes) Enemies damaged by Tigers have their armor by 20.
    • (Reward at 30 Globes) Pounce stuns the target for 1s.
    • (Reward at 45 Globes) Permanently reduce the respawn timer of all Base Camps by 45s
  • Easy Prey - Grazing Shot increases the Attack Speed of all friendly units by 10% when they attack the target
  • Bullseye - Triggering Arcane Shot’s bonus damage refunds 50% of its mana cost

Level 7

• Freezing Trap - Frost trap roots the triggering Hero for 2s
  • Trap Launcher - The cast range of Frost Trap increases
  • Well Stocked - Frost Trap gains 1 charge

Level 10

• Explosive Trap - Set an Explosive Trap in the area that deals damage in a large area.
  • Snake Trap - Releases poisonous snakes in an area, dealing damage and reducing healing received.

Level 13

• Open Wounds - Hitting a Grazed target with Arcane Shot refreshes the DOT effect
  • I Love To Reload During Battle - If a Hero dies within 1.5s of being hit by an Arcane Shot, refund all of Arcane Shot’s charges
  • Sub-Zero Emissions - Frost Trap leaves a slowing area on the ground for 5s. Area slows for 20%
  • Thrill Of The Hunt - Grazing Shot increases Hemet’s movement speed by 30% for the duration

Level 16

• Cursed Bullets - Arcane Shot’s bonus damage also deals 4% percent of the target’s health as bonus damage
  • Superior Predator - Hemet can bribe Tigers. No cost or cooldown.
  • Silent Hunter - Gain Stealth when entering Brush. Stealth lasts for 2s after leaving cover. 10s Cooldown

Level 20

• Shrapnel Trap - Explosive Trap reduced enemy’s armor by 20 for 5s.
  • More Snakes! - Snake Trap doubles in size over the duration.
  • Hail To The King - Base Camp can be set on Boss Mercenary areas. Doing so calls King Bangalash. King Bangalash cannot be bribed. In addition to all abilities from Tiger Mastery, King Bangalash has a Fear inducing roar

King Bangalash’s Base Camp works differently from the normal Base Camp. It can be captured while the Boss is still active, at which point King Bangalash will immediately be available for defeat. The cooldown is increased to 4m.

Lines

General Lines

It’s open season!
Ya can run, but ya can’t hide.
Another trophy for my wall.

Character Specific

On a team with Rexxar: Hey Rexxar! First to ten wins, eh?
On a team with Murky: I’ve never hunted Murlocs before. Hmm…

With Friendly: There’s plenty of game to go around!
With Friendly: After this, I’ll treat you to Tiger Steak Barbecue!

Skins
Corporal Nesingwary: After the first Great War, Zerg hunting became something of a sport for thrill seekers and sport hunters. None were more prolific than Corporal Nesingwary. They say he’s hunted Zerg on every planet in the Koprulu Sector, and his vast collection of hides and skulls seems to agree.

Hemet is decked out in full Marine gear. His voice lines are altered to sound as if they come through a speaker. His Base Camp Trait looks more Terran in nature, and the Tigers are completely Zergified.

Sweet Hunter Nesingwary: When the Animal Crackers of Sugar Plum Valley threaten its inhabitants, the Kandy King knows who to call. Sweet Hunter Nesingwary can kill any shortbread beast.

Hemet’s outfit is modified to include a variety of candy-based elements, like a candy corn bandolier. Tigers are modeled after animal crackers.

4 Likes

This is one guy that would be cool to add.

Total Score - 15/20

Creativity - 3/5
Upgraded mercenary camps is a fairly creative mechanic. However, Hemet’s other abilities do feel a little bland. Grazing Shot is basic but its interaction with Tigers is nice (as long as Tigers are up often enough to make it consistent). Arcane Shot is rather boring, and Stalk feels like it has a good direction but falls short in execution (maybe add some sort of interaction with brush; but Hemet just stealthing on his own doesn’t feel like a master hunter mechanic, more like a rogue).

Cohesiveness - 4/5
Most of Hemet’s abilities flow well together, but I’m not sure that the traps work with the rest of the kit. It feels out of place for a ranged assassin with a semi-minion mechanic to set up ambushes; I’d recommend replacing the traps or working the rest of Hemet’s kit around to encourage him as an ambush hero more.

Thematic - 3/5
This kit does match Hemet mostly well, but it feels like it could use a bit more to push the theme of a master hunter, tracking and trapping his enemies. In this form, his abilities are more of a basic ranged assassin. As for game changing mechanics, using unique hero-specific mercenary camps is nice, but feels like it also falls a bit short of the contest theme; there’s definitely more that can be done with it. Just a suggestion, it’d be neat to implement Hemet’s hunting quests in a way by making his unique mercenary camp start weaker, but the longer he captures it without his enemies disrupting it, the stronger his tigers get, building up to summoning the tiger king Bangalash. You could also consider several choices for Hemet on which animal he wants to hunt from his camp, with different animals having different roles.

Interaction - 5/5
I don’t see any potential problems of Hemet being bad to play with or against; interaction is all fine.

Yeah, the concept was very hastily thrown together last minute. Good feedback though, it definitely gives me something to work with going forward

Maybe to help the stealth and Marksman theme, follow a slower-styled set up. Nova may be a sort of inspiration, just longer ranged, slower and harder.

The idea I’m brewing is making him a set up assassin. Frost Trap sets the field for the engagement to happen on his terms. Good for point capture maps. But when tigers are out, he can go on the aggressive and be moving threat.

His Stalk could have a talent or have when his BA happens, it’s slower, but also more powerful. He’s also themed as a sniper.

Hemet is pretty much the most iconic WoW hunter. I approve.

1 Like

Him and Rexxar, But yes

Overall Score

Creativity - 4/5

Cohesiveness - 5/5

Thematic - 4/5

Interaction - 4/5

Total - 17/20

Creativity - 4/5

The core idea here is pretty interesting, setting up a base camp and becoming a master of the jungle. My only real issues is that I think some of the abilities and talents are a bit simplistic. Arcane Shot’s precision mechanic is pretty nice. While Grazing Shot does have interaction, but Grazing Shot only really has an interesting bonus if Hemet has tigers available; which will not be very often. While the fixate effect should stay, I would like to see something greater than just a fixate effect that only becomes relevant every once in awhile. The Frost Trap is really on the line, but I think it could use something more than just yet another CC trap; we already have Junkrat and Chromie to fulfil that role. The talent that makes it like the Frost Trap in WoW could possibly even be baseline. I don’t understand why Explosive Trap is the only heroic, and it’s not even that interesting of a heroic, either. It’s a super trap that explodes for area damage. There is definitely work that can be done with the heroics. Talents to look into are the Grazing Shot talents, Tier 1’s middle talent (I wish these had names), and some of the Tier 5 talents.

Cohesiveness - 5/5

The kit actually does have some pretty solid interaction within itself, not so much mechanically, but playstyle while. The slow on the Trap helps set up Arcane Shots, and Grazing Shot works with the tigers well. There are very clear build paths within the talent tree, which is nice to see, and yet the talent tree is still dynamic enough in its own right. I like that several talents tie the abilities together in interesting ways, like how Frost Trap can apply Grazing Shot’s bleed, and how Arcane Shot can refresh Grazing Shot’s bleed. I do think it would be nice to see more Arcane Shot Grazing Shot interactions, to bring out a sniper build outside of just Arcane Shot.

Thematic - 4/5

This kit really does fit Hemet pretty well, though I do find it weird for Hemet to be working alongside animals, considering how anti-animal he is generally shown as being. I think the unique mercenaries is pretty interesting, but I would still like a little bit more, as just unique mercenaries seems to just be scratching the surface of the contest theme.

Interaction - 4/5

I really am starting to sound like a broken record, but when you include summons, it inherently becomes difficult to make them interactive in a meaningful way. More often than not, they will be obnoxious to fight against, or boring to use. I think tying them to mercenary camps is very interesting, and it is not the only thing he can do, so I can give it mostly a pass. My other concerns for the concept are the point and click nature of his Grazing Shot, and his Explosive Trap being pretty variable in its outcome. Both of these, depending on balancing, can either be something that annoys the enemies or feels underwhelming for the Hemet, which is an outcome from the core design fault that the lack of interaction has.

I agree with and have considered much of what you’re saying. I tried to consider the tiger summons a bonus that you can take advantage of once in a while, but if you chose you can delve deeper into them.

I couldn’t think of a way to make Grazing Shot more interesting on its own, so I decided to do it with Talents. That’s kinda my philosophy for my creations. Generic baseline skills that become more developed with Talents.

Explosive Trap will make more sense when I get the numbers in. It’ll be more of a constant source of harassment in more scrappy fights. And it is definitely not meant to be the only heroic, I’m just having a hell of a time thinking of a second. For some reason, I’m consciously trying not to make him a sniper, otherwise I’d pick Aimed Shot and be done with it.

EDIT: Alright, got the second pass of Talents mostly done. Biggest change is to his Base Camp ability. I decided to steer away from the “Tigers as pets” aspect, and keep them as just mercenaries. But now Hemet can create multiple Base Camps, which will make the Tigers more prolific. As a counter balance, setting up a Base Camp requires an empty Merc Camp and a channel time, so they certainly aren’t free.

Creativity - 3/5

While a lot of Hemet’s base kit is fairly simple, I do think the talents really do help make up for it fairly well. However, the lack of a second heroic hurts how creative the kit feels. Additionally, the lack of any flavor for week 3 is a little disappointing.

Cohesiveness - 5/5

The way the kit plays out works really well, with Hemet’s ability to combo his abilities fairly well. His kit even works at least somewhat well for clearing mercenaries. The talents take this further, with ways to apply effects in multiple ways or otherwise combo together.

Thematic - 4/5

From what I know of the character, the kit feels appropriate to Hemet, as a more setup based Hunter that uses precision. And, while the mercenary camps being changed mid-game is certainly unique, and could be built upon, it does feel… Underwhelming for the theme of the contest.

Interaction - 4/5

Overall, the character seems mostly fine to fight, with clear ways to deal with his abilities, and though Grazing Shot being simple point-and-click damage could be bad, overall I think it’s not too frustrating combined with the kit. My biggest concern is that an Arcane Shot build with good enough lockdown support could be incredibly hard to deal with, and while other characters can snowball off of effects like this, I think maybe Hemet’s level 1 Arcane Shot talent could become ridiculous to fight, especially with “I Love to Reload During Battle”. While I could be being paranoid, safer rather than sorry, in my opinion.

Overall Score

Creativity - 3/5
Cohesiveness - 5/5
Thematic - 4/5
Interaction - 4/5

Total - 16/20

Finally got some finishing touches on Hemet. Sorry it’s late, but last week was heckin’ rough.

MrCLFN - 85/100

Creativity: 7/10
Cohesiveness: 9/10
Thematic: 9/10
Interaction: 9/10
(+2 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)