[Catalina] Voice Chat not working in Heroes of the Storm

Did you disable the system integrity check? Are you inputing the correct password?

Adding two comments that might be helpful.

Annica’s post was super helpful. However there is one error above line 4 you should write csrutil disable

If you are getting an Error: unable to open database it is likely related to not disabling csrutil.

I also ran into another issue I’m going to document here for anyone else struggling with this issue. Once I got <sqlite to appear the I got an error: Error: no such column: ‘kTCCServiceMicrophone’

To fix I used the following SQL command instead:

REPLACE INTO access VALUES(‘kTCCServiceMicrophone’,‘com.blizzard.heroesofthestorm’,0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,‘UNUSED’,NULL,0,1541440109);

Hope that helps!

Thanks I fell victim of line 4 of Annica’s post. Well spotted. Finally got around to this and can shelve discord again :slight_smile:

I keep running into the error: no such column: ‘kTCCServiceMicrophone’

I’ve tried to use the:

REPLACE INTO access VALUES(‘kTCCServiceMicrophone’,‘com.blizzard.heroesofthestorm’,0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,‘UNUSED’,NULL,0,1541440109);

But I still get the error message no such column: ‘kTCCServiceMicrophone’

Can anyone help?

I used @Bon gripper’s preformatted text, and it worked. Thanks everyone

Surprisingly, I got it working without sudo or SIP-disabling or rebooting, just doing
sqlite3 /Users/name.surname/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db "INSERT INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.blizzard.heroesofthestorm',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1551892126);"

Something interesting, my headset port stopped working. So i switched to a blue tooth headphones. Now the games sound comes though the blue tooth and the voice chat comes out of the laptop speaker. MAC life.

Followed all 3 steps, but on Step 2 after the copy/paste, I press enter and says:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(’

which I have no idea what it means. It doesn’t prompt me to enter password, so I paste the command again and typed password afterwards on the terminal itself and still says the same message.

Went through with Step 3, but no fix. Hots still does not have permission. Blizz App does and it works, discord as well.

I’m guessing there’s a typo on the step 2 command?

Try it again, I edited my post and preformatted the command line.

This solution worked for me. I didn’t have to do step 1 or step 3. I just ran step 2 and it worked. Now I can talk to my team instead of being the only one not on voice chat!!!

SOLVED!!!
this worked for meee!
ֿ
I got it working! I had the right location, but one of the inserted values was wrong. So here was my Catalina fix:

Step 1: Disable The System Integrity Check so that you can access the relevant system database.

• Reboot your Mac and hold Cmd+R on startup. This will bring up the Recovery Mode. If you have a multi button mouse with a keyboard function (such as a Razer Naga) you may need to unplug it during the boot up.
  • Open Utility -> Terminal from the menu bar and type: csrutil disable
  • Reboot.

Step 2: Manually add permission for Heroes of the Storm to access the microphone.

• Open Terminal and type (or copy & past) the following command:

sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db "INSERT or REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.blizzard.heroesofthestorm',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1541440109);"

• Enter your Mac password to confirm the action.

Step 3: Enable The System Integrity Check.

• Reboot your Mac and hold Cmd+R on startup. This will bring up the Recovery Mode.
  • Open Utility -> Terminal from the menu bar and type: csrutil enable
  • Reboot.

Heroes of the Storm should now have permission to use your microphone. You can check under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Microphone.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks, this trick worked out well and all is good in the Nexus. :slight_smile:

When I do step 2, i get the error code

Error: table access has 13 columns but 12 values were supplied

This is after the Big Sur update. I have no experience working through these kind of technical issues but my mic is also not working and I can’t grant it through permission on my security settings. Help?

Edit: OR, can anyone send me the patch that makes HOTS prompt for mic use? I’m pulling my hair out here.

This fix is for Catalina.

So the problem just continues down the rabbit hole.

It’s a really sad bug. I have never had the skills or patience to fix it. it’s no problem when you got discord with the pals. But it’s impossible to communicate on voice in solo rank play or just in generel hanging out with new people in the game.

Exactly.

Any help is completely appreciated though. I might just invite new people to a discord server, since joining team voice is a crapshoot anyway.

I feel like my fix is one coding class away though - I have no idea what “13 columns but 12 values were supplied” means or how to fix it.

Anyway. Still have this problem. It sure would be nice to just click and drag an application to permissions, on the mac side.

New terminal command from another part of the forum for Big Sur. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/imac-os-big-sur-cannot-give-hots-mic-permissions/46219/5?u=enwrath-1253

1 Like

Dude, this saved my gaming life. I was looking for a solution like for 2 months and this worked perfectly, and at first try. I followed the 3 step with the ’ and the ¨and I hadn’t any problem. And it’s really fast by the way. Thank you so much.

Thank you SIR!!! Madam…

Hello! This may be too late to ask this question, but I am experiencing the same issue myself. However…I am a complete beginner at any of the terminal command stuff. So…yeah.

So, I can’t even get past step one. Terminal says I am not an authorized User. How do I change this? I have set permissions and am an Admin and all that, but cursory internet searches don’t yield any helpful results. Sorry for the simpleness of the question. Very grateful for any help! Thanks!