Blues are back... On reddit. Post linked

Of course I agree with this, but I tend not to expect it.

3 Likes

second reply has it on tight. deeds doo speak louder then words.
having Christmas event for this long… skipping a whole event ( chineese newyears/ choatic nexus ) shows more then a blue post saying we are working on stuff.

2 Likes

Hope they do it and not just ignore half of the bugs this game got every balance patch. One thing is saying but other thing is actually doing it.

1 Like

cept all the ‘deeds’ of years of the game not being dead hasn’t done a thing to curb the ‘ded game’ words.

‘actions’ speaking louder than ‘words’ tends to be a mindless mantra used for reveling in double standards :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Obviously I’m not a profesional, so I might be “speaking out of my butt”, but if I were the HotS devs, I would have rolled out an empty spring event before spring was halfway done, and simply add the Overwatch skins, or whatever is shceduled for the spring event, to the Summer one instead (and move whatever they have for summer to the fall event, and so on).

Having an empty spring event would at least seem less “dead game”-y than having an empty winter event in spring.
And it’s not like we the players would have known that those skins were meant for spring, so we wouldn’t necesarily feel “cheated”… Or at least not as much as with the way they went, IMO.

Edit:
And it’s not like seasonal event themes even have any relation to the season nowadays.
“Overwatch Cosplay” certainly doesn’t.
So no reason I can see to not move them into a different “lootbox set”

3 Likes

I agree on this point. Having the Christmas event for 5 months has given the impression to many players that the game wasn’t getting further updates. Not everyone reads the forums or Blizzards social accounts, even if they did, there hasn’t been much feedback from the Devs.

I’m not assigning blame to them, I understand any communication is done on their own time. I still don’t think though it does HOTS any favors to leave a Christmas event until May.

8 Likes

The years of the game not being dead has nothing to do with right now though. I myself am alive today, have been alive for years, I could be dead tomorrow. If I stop showing up to family gatherings for holidays, none of them hear from me, they can’t get a hold of me, and they drive by my house to see I haven’t mowed the lawn in many months, I may very well be dead. At the least, it’s certainly not an unfair assumption for them to make that something is not right.

Can’t say I’m a professional either, but all that seems pretty reasonable to me. Especially if one of the later seasons this year was already looking to be an empty one, which at the current rate of releases I am guessing could be the case.

I’m just asking for something here. I can understand the HotS dev team at the moment is probably in a rougher spot now than they ever have been. Probably the smallest budget they’ve had, probably the fewest staff they’ve had. I understand that they might need to adjust their release schedules and the amount of content accordingly. So they should adapt, either changing how and when they release major content updates, or engage with their playerbase a little more, to give them a rough idea what they can expect and when. Something better than a Duke Nukem Forever-style “when it’s done” response.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt only goes so far, and I think some people (myself, at least) hit their limit with no news and record-slow updates into Christmas In May. If someone else wants to extend that benefit further, that’s fine. But questioning the status of the game is hardly unreasonable at this point.

I like HotS, I’ve played it on and off pretty regularly since launch. I’d like to see it do well, I’d like it to be around and receive updates that everyone enjoys for a long time to come and make enough of a profit for Blizzard to sustain that. I visited the forums almost never because for the longest time it was doing all (or at least most) of that, so there was no need to come and see what’s up. I’m not trying to be a doomsayer, I’d love nothing more than for the game to bounce back into a consistent release schedule once more. I’m only being honest about what I see until they give me some reason to believe otherwise.

2 Likes

Reddit is a cesspool and Blizzard needs to stop using that garbage platform and communicate with us with their own forums.

2 Likes

While it would be nice, but it wouldn’t be better for the game than reddit. There good reasons why reddit is just better. One reason might be you can advertise this game more on reddit than on this forum.

You act like they advertise this game at all.

Not at all, but since this game has no real ads it’s good to have at least sth.

yes it does.

people have insisted on a claim regardless of what happens, and anything contrary to that is just seen to be lies. In your family analogy, you don’t offer the reverse where the family is trying to say… claim life insurance by declaring someone to be dead, and them then trying to prove that they aren’t.

If you haven’t heard, it’s really annoying to try to convince systematic claims of being dead as otherwise. similarly, trying to justify assumptions is just bad faith, let alone concerns of something be "fair’ or otherwise.

When you’re trying to undercut context to make an assertion, it just indicates how bad that assertion has to be if it only holds by denying context. Context is king, not the otherway around.

Context is king. The context has changed with no patch in 2 months with no communication. That is unprecedented.

1 Like

In what world have I tried to undercut context? I’m using the analogy because it’s an accurate parallel to try and allow for a more objective view of the situation. But if you insist, then in context:

Since launch, the game has received at least one balance patch a month. Back in the day, we’d frequently even get more than one. It has now been over two months since the last balance patch. We’d also get far more regular content updates which have tapered off over the last few years. The last time we have seen any new content for the game now is when Hogger came out alongside an empty holiday, and the medallion was removed. This empty holiday which should in theory only last a maximum of a quarter of a year, has now lasted nearly half a year. On top of this, the ranked season was wordlessly pushed back a month. They have made no effort to address the concerns that players would predictably have with this drought. On the occasion they do make an appearance, it’s something you need to do a scavenger hunt on an unofficial site to find instead of posting a simple update on the state of things on their own website. Not that those posts have contained anything of substance outside of claims that they’re still actively working on things. While I’m inclined to believe them, the complete absence of updates would suggest that significantly less work is being done now than ever before on the game.

You can’t simply look at the game and presume that because it was alive and receiving lots of content in the past, that it will continue to do so in the future. Games decline, games slow on updates and development, games die. It’s a thing that happens, right now we are seeing a decline in development. What is left for a player base to do but to speculate when they are being ignored when a developer pops up only to give us a passive-aggressive verbal slap on the wrists for attempting to work out what’s going on. They’re right that we don’t work for Blizzard and that we don’t have the insider information. So, if they truly want to set the record straight and stop speculation dead in its tracks, they’re the only ones that can do so. They could talk about where they are in development, why certain things were pushed back, or what we might expect going forward. But they don’t do that.

I want HotS to be a healthy and successful game. I want to be able to log in, and see lots of cool new things even 10, 20 years from now. But, just because that’s what I want doesn’t mean I should ignore the reality in front of me. And a developer falling into silence with increasingly infrequent updates is never a good sign.

This basically confirms we’re getting a Soldier:76 skin for Raynor, a Brigitte skin for Johanna, and a new Shaman skin for Rehgar.

1 Like

I think the structures of posts there are better but wish you could sort by latest reply… Plus I like the blue background here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Read the signs everyone.

The heroes dev has been swapped with Team Strategy which handles not only HotS, but apparently WC3R, SC2 and so on, their workflow pretty much multiplied that they have to maintain multiple games, including this one, kinda sucks that this is way we had to stagger.

All of this has been implied already through articles to one of the new devs explicitly saying something around the lines of “looking forward to work on HotS, SC2 and WC3R”.

2 Likes

You know, I kind of have to agree. Blizzard is in full control of optics of the situation and they could dispel a lot of bad ju ju by just telling us something every once in a while.

2 Likes

Better for their ego and mental health I suppose as Reddit breeds hive-mind mentality which typically skews positively for the developer, but it’s a bad place to get feedback and varied discussion.

Chronologically formatted forums such as this one facilitate better discussions. Blizzard went through all of that trouble to implement Discourse which has better tools for curbing harassment than the legacy forums and they choose to still ignore them in favor of Reddit, which only sings their praises.

Criticism will get buried and down voted while “HI, I’m a new player and I love this game” threads get upvoted and praised.

It’s just bad optics to ignore your own official forum userbase.

3 Likes

I agree. Wish they had communicated before concerns and frustration has gotten to this point, even if it’s just “We’re still here, CEO didn’t pull the plug on us hard stop…at least not yet”

2 Likes