Apple Discontinuing Support for OpenGL in Mojave

In a future update to Mojave, Metal will be the only option.

Hey shade,

Apple is not removing OpenGL from Mojave. They are deprecating it, games/programs like Heroes of the Storm that use OpenGL will still be able to run on Mojave.

Since it will likely to be asked, we do not have any announcement or update at this time about Heroes using Metal.

1 Like

Any reason why you removed Metal from the game? It’s like removing Vulkan “just because”

Do you really want to hear their excuse? They won’t do it. The end.

They don’t have the manpower and are unwilling to hire someone who can do it. It only costs them money and doesn’t make them any. Opengl isn’t going anywhere.

If they provide a product they should put resources into it, OpenGL performs like crap on modern Macs.

1 Like

Not even an update? Great news… :pensive:

OpenGL will eventually be phased out completely and we’ll be left with no other option but bootcamp, or purchasing some cheap Windows to play. I don’t mind purchasing a Windows, but many people can’t afford to. The amount of money I alone have spent on Blizzard games over the years is about 1,000$ so that would pay for one Mac coder to work on this issue for a week and that’s just me.

1 Like

No it won’t. Well maybe in 10-15 years or so.

I hope you’re right, but even if so, who would want to run on OpenGL in 15 years? It’s clunky compared to Metal 1 and who knows how it would compare to M2. This game ran far better on Metal.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Apple isn’t exactly known to be sentimental with legacy support. 32-bit support is last year now, MacOS 10.15 won’t work with 32-bit apps.

So I’d give 5 years tops before OpenGL is removed completely from MacOS.

1 Like

I remember not being able to click the mini-map using Metal.

Does this issue seem entirely unfixable to you turning it into a legitimate argument to remove Metal support altogether?

That’s what Blizzard went with.