A Way to Revive HGC and Heroes of the Dorm?

I have not monitored the Competitive forums much, but I’ve scanned them a little and I don’t think this has been suggested yet, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Something made me think today about how the title eSports tournaments got cancelled. From what I recall, the standard game mode was not always that great for spectators, especially when a lot of it is PvE. Pretty much every sport I can think of that people like to watch is PvP, yet I remember in tournament games the teams were so cautious early on it was not uncommon to go 8-10 minutes without anyone on either team dying. I think by and large spectators want action, particularly PvP. No one wants to watch someone solo lane minions.

Meanwhile, Brawl mode (as I like to still call it) was turned into being exclusively the single lane battle which is almost entirely PvP. Even when killing minions you’re going to have to contend with the enemy heroes. Yet, hero selection is from a few random options.

So, what if there was a ranked mode that was the single lane brawl? It would be almost all PvP and thus cater to spectators, but you would still have the draft, bans, etc. of ranked mode. Also, with a single lane, it is easier to know where to focus the camera, which makes for a better presentation.

Does anyone else think that could be something that could take off? I don’t know what other MOBA games do for their eSports, but maybe this would be a style that no one else is doing?

TLDR; Ranked “ARAM” (but not random, of course)

tbh a single lane would be boring af. Not strategy, no lanening, no timing of objectives, just brawling mid…lame

I’ve been playing for about 2.5 years. Never heard of Heroes of the Dorm. What’s that?

It was an event Blizzard used to throw where college students would compete for scholarships and such. It was a big enough deal to end up on TV outside of S Korea.

1 Like