A call to Blizzard for refunds to those who've been banned for toxic chat

With a system as shrouded in controversy as the toxic chat penalty is … there should be an automatic refund given to account holders who’ve been permanently banned from the game without having to file chargeback with their credit card company.

I’m not making an argument to how ridiculous the system is … there’s already been countless words and discussion on the topic … but banning people with an arbitrary penalty system and permanently withholding access to content they’ve purchased seems about as bad/anti consumer a move a company can possibly make.

What is in your fine print/legal drivel on a page somewhere doesn’t void your responsibilities as a company to 1. do the right thing and 2. to not abuse your power

So this is an official call to Blizzard that if you are going to permanently ban people from products/content they have purchased then you should refund at least some kind of prorated amount.

Thank you

6 Likes

Maybe you should send a letter to customer sup?
This topic here have pretty much zero chance to make them budge

Not that a letter would fare much better tho… you prob know they are not really locking content you paid for, as skins and stuff are still there and you never paid for the ranked mode…

Oh I wish I could get a full refund on all the skins I spent on LoL over the years. I can just claim I’ve been banned and that’s why I stopped play.

While I don’t actually know this I’m fairly certain (just a wild guess) that Blizzard has full rights to “withhold” access as you put it from players they believe shouldn’t be on their grounds. There’s even multiple steps of “are you sure” and “confirm with secret question/password” blocks before you can actually complete a payment. This suggests to me that within their ToS there’s somewhere a rule that specifically states that a person who has completed a payment cannot refund it at all regardless of what happens to the account, just as I cannot refund a product IRL (food, clothes) that I’ve violated in some way (open the product, damaged it).

Before you ask - Yes, you have violated rules to get your account suspended. It doesn’t matter if you believe the automated system is “shrouded” in controversy, the same way I can find certain rules to be “controverse” IRL. What matters is that you abide by those rules because you really have no say in them.

Section one “Platform” point 7:

“YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BLIZZARD IS NOT REQUIRED TO REFUND AMOUNTS YOU PAY TO BLIZZARD FOR USE OF THE PLATFORM, OR FOR DIGITAL PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THE PLATFORM, FOR ANY REASON.”

I didn’t even know it was written in caps, made my day.

21 Likes

I wasn’t making an argument about blizzard operating legally by not refunding (although an argument can be made for that as well – but that isn’t the argument im making right now). I was making an argument for what is the right/reasonable thing to do.

There’s a big difference there.

The right thing is to remove players that cannot behave, the same way you’d remove anyone from grounds IRL that behaves poorly or threatens others. It’s not really abnormal.

You ask for “right/reasonable thing to do”, was it “right/reasonable” from your perspective to abuse another player in some form?

17 Likes

How many countless messages have to be published from countless ex players/customers before you open your eyes to the possibility that the customers in this situation are actually the ones telling the truth and not the corporation trying to sell you product?

5 Likes

Because I have no reason to trust “X amount of ex players” for their view that may or may not be truthful.
Blizzard has millions (read it again) amounts of players that plays their games on a regular basis. How come we’re fine and dandy for so long, yet some of you are targeted?

7 Likes

This isn’t supposed to be a debate about the chat penalty system…this is a statement to blizzard about doing the right thing and refunding those who’ve been permanently separated from content they have purchased due to an automated and highly controversial penalty system.

1 Like

Dude, use an official channel or at least put the topic on tech suport, thos part of the forum is for conversations between players

And its extremely unlikely blizz will back their posture just because “numberless ex-customers” asked, they own wow and thus i cam say for surr they are very familiar with how foruns echo chambers and internet mobs tend to work…

It has nothing to do with the chat penalty system.

I’m asking you why is it the “right/reasonable” thing to do by refunding players who have gotten themselves suspended by violating the rules set fourth by a ToS you were forced to agree to?

10 Likes

Dude there’s no where to contact the company about this type of issue. There’s no option through contact/ticket system. This isn’t a tech support issue.

1 Like

Well… its another tread complaining about the automated system and its penalties them…

Well, refunding permabaned players is not gonna happen, even if you try to make a point around permanent or extremely long bans being too cruel, a refund is still NOT the “right” thing to do, you are never entitled to get your money back if you were kicked out the revenue

1 Like

The EULA isn’t just some drivel on a legal page. It’s some drivel on a legal page that you had to agree to before playing the game. You being too lazy to read that document and just clicking on agree or accept doesn’t make the document not count. If you don’t like the terms of the contract you don’t have to agree to it. This is why they do these things, to preempt this sorta thing. It’d be like saying that the bank isn’t allowed to foreclose on your house if you don’t pay your mortgage because you didn’t want to read all the details of the agreement and instead should just do the right thing and let you keep your house anyways or give back the money you did pay on your mortgage.

8 Likes

Acti’B is like the Ferengi “Once they got your money, they never give it back!”. Say what you want about them, they know their business.

2 Likes

Its important to realize that refunds for players who get banned would just encourage toxic behaviour. Any player who decides to quit the game would be toxic for a few games to get their refund. Blizzard would essentially earn no money from the game, since all the money earned would be a deposit until players decide to quit playing.

8 Likes

Are serious? You are making official calls on the forum?? lol

Also you have played the game already and used their servers. You can’t get refunded for a cake you’ve already eaten…

Keep in mind that this is just your opinion. Not everyone is on the same page.

Have you tried being nice to people? Works great!

9 Likes

If your purchase is within 2 YEARS you may file a chargeback. If it’s after 6 months you may have to call your credit card company to file it.

If you can’t file a chargeback the best route is to file a report with better business bureau for blizzard entertainment inc. Requested a refund.

2 Likes

Any appeal to Bzzzzzd’s sense of ethics will fall on deaf ears, I think we can all agree on that.

2 Likes

Well, for starter, in reality, an actual “official call to Blizzard” is a legal letter from a lawyer that is filed to the court. Which state that someone is officially sueing Blizzard for compensation.

This call out on the forum is meaningless in the legal system.

4 Likes

Go to any restaurant, sporting event or movie just to name a few examples and harass and curse at the employees or other customers. You will be removed and you will not receive a refund for the food you didn’t eat or the entertainment you didn’t get to see. Welcome to the real world kid. Learn to act civilly because society doesn’t stop existing just because we can’t see your face.

9 Likes