Zephrys and Dragonqueen Alexstrasza in non Highlander decks

I was thinking about this for a while and I don’t know to what extent it’s fair that decks that started with duplicates can take profit from those two cards (whether through including them in the deck or by discovering them during the game and using them when have not duplicates).
Should they change its condition to: “If your deck started without duplicates AND has no duplicates …”? That way highlander decks could be countered by putting rubbish in their decks, but not highlander decks couldn’t take profit from this two cards. What do you think about it? Would it change the gaming experience?

1 Like

I don’t think is unfair at all … in order to activate those cards in non highlander decks, it would mean you need to play through all of your duplicates first … meaning that both cards could be in your hand for quite a while before having the chance to play it.

In fact, i have used Zephrys in non highlander decks that i know have a chance to go the long game … and it actually works fine, but more often than not, you are going to wish he was active in the turn you get it.

4 Likes

I 100% agree with madvec1.

The overall sacrifice that has to be made doesn’t justify having those cards exclusive to pure HL decks. Unless you break them of course. But even broken there are plenty of cards that can drag out the play until it clears again.

Using them in a non-HL deck has the major disadvantage of a dead card in hand until most likely turn 9 or 10 at the least. Where a pure HL deck can pop them early for a major lead.

I can see both stances but to me it feels like the non-HL decks pay a much steeper price for the chance at a miracle save.

Say what now? What does that even mean?

“I don’t know how fair can be play those cards” that’s the approximate meaning.

And I agree with you both! But even being unplayable in early game, my moral dilemma is that this cards give an extra win condition in late game to a deck which didn’t renounce to have pairs of powerful cards in order to obtain the same effects of Zephrys and Alexstrasza. It’s seems to me like cheating)))

shouldnt be able to play highlander cards in non highlander decks

It wouldn’t be a problem if the non highlander decks that can run them didn’t have such obscene card draw. 7+ 0 cost cards with rogue and plenty of discovers to offset a dead card in hand makes drawing through your deck totally feasible.

Honestly, the only reason I think non Highlander decks can actually play them off a discover is because they’re probably Rogue and therefore have Togwaggle shadowstep along with Galakrond. Never mind if they discover a Valdris Felgorge off of Dragon’s Hoard.

Consider this … in a none highlander deck, what would happen if, let’s say against DH, in the first 2 turns of the match you get both Zephrys and the Dragonqueen which it means 1 useless cards and 1 worthless 2 drop, meaning that against arguably the strongest Tempo deck you basically skipped your draw phase (sort of speaking) … i could almost guarantee there won’t be any late game for you.

Keep in mind that in a highlander deck, Zephrys could be either a board clearer, some healing or a even a taunt among other things that could actually help you to reach the late game against a DH…