You say it isnt rigged

Unity does backend as well, though fair point I don’t know if they use it.

I mean, your core point is still good. Rigging believers act like random number generation is something that’s hand coded from the ground up every time a new game is developed. This is flabbergastingly naive of how actual programming is done. RNG is something solved long ago with only slight tweaks over time, and it’s about as homemade as the ketchup packets at a McDonald’s. The very idea that Blizzard’s RNG is significantly different from the RNG in any other game is laughable, because Blizzard doesn’t make the code for RNG, Blizzard buys the code for RNG.

Us quibbling about whether Unity is backend or not is like asking whether a restaurant uses Heinz or Hunt’s. It’s not actually relevant. The point is that they don’t make it themselves.

2 Likes

The whole premis of rigging is fundamentally flawed in that games aren’t you vs Blizzard they are you against random people. Even if you can prove 100% without a doubt that the RNG system skews results in a certain way the game still wouldn’t be rigged because both players work under that same system. Only way one gets an advantage is if they know how to manipulate that system if possible and even then both players can use that same manipulation so they would still be on an even playing field. Again Matches aren’t You vs Blizzard they are Yyou against another rando and there is nothing special about either You or that rando.

1 Like

How dare you! My wife says I’m special. With monotonous regularity.

1 Like

Dude, all you ever do is argue with people on here in a smug, egotistical manner. Have you ever considered trying to be a decent person?

1. You will never find evidence because Blizzard will never release their code. Doesn’t mean it isn’t rigged. You believe what you want.
  2. Just because HS is rigged doesn’t equate to negative impact.
  3. Who said anything about a lawsuit?
  4. Your passive aggressiveness is noted. You should work on that.

I’ve got a question: do you think that the only way people are found guilty of crimes is if they confess to them?

2 Likes

This doesn’t make sense. There’s no such thing as “anti rigged.” It’s just rigged in one person’s favor. Now, why would Blizzard do this? Perhaps to give more of an illusion of balance, or to push certain cards. Like, a deck can’t get to Legendary–so you buy more cards.

Imagine if it were for balance purposes, given how unbalanced the game can already be?

But the question is: is there a way to spot this in the code? Are TV shows correct when they say you can hide code in a back door? Then again, if people could just hack into it anyhow, they already would. So, it should be possible.

1 Like

I don’t think that it is rigged per se, but I do think that matching should be based purely on Stars until Legend.
I gather that it is both stars and MMR until Legend?
Seems wonky to me, and I think it is the main reason that players cry rigged.

2 Likes

No. Or at least not always.

I could explain it, but isn’t your point really that not understanding it is the frustrating part?

1 Like

Yes. I think that if players were able to understand how it works more clearly, then they would have less problems with the results they get.

1 Like

Well, I think Blizzard is damned if they do and damned if they don’t at a certain point there.

On the one hand, they don’t want to lie about anything. And I don’t believe that they do.

On the other hand, if they reveal every detail about things like how MMR is calculated, people would game the system. Blizzard has not given details on how MMR is calculated for this very reason. They haven’t lied, they just don’t provide all the details.

What Blizzard has said hasn’t been disproven. And it’s very difficult to create a system, reveal literally everything about it and not have people find a way to exploit it.

2 Likes

I don’t think it has anything to do with the topic of this thread.

This game makes you restart every season, but gives you stars so you can rank up faster, but sets you at a higher mmr so you face harder opponents. It’s really strange. Other games just make you start at a rank before your last season’s, and you don’t get mmr until the final rank…well, it’s different. The MMR decides your bracket, but it’s all relative to your rank.

This system is solely in place to make new players feel they are better than they are so they are more likely to get addicted.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with the “solely” part, I think some valid objectives are also met.

But also psychological manipulation, sure. And brazenly so. Participation trophy style.

1 Like

I’d like to offer further explanation of the system HS has in place, so you’ll get the picture and see that it really is quite dastardly what they have done.

So, in other games you have tiers like Bronze, Silver, Gold, broken into brackets just like HS, yeah? When there is a reset, say you were Gold 2 of 5. You’ll get placed somewhere in Silver based on your MMR. So, if you were nearly Gold 1 (like 98 points out of 100) you’ll receive a boost. But it’s only relative to people in Silver, so not a huge deal. It will just decide if it is quicker or not to get back into Gold, but not necessarily easier, and it is important that this is just a one “Full Rank” difference. At the beginning of the month, if you were high Gold, it’ll probably be easier for you to get back into Gold, but you’ll always be facing other good players in Gold. However, in team games, this isn’t always necessarily true, because some players may have gotten lucky and got carried. That’s where a lot of toxicity in team games comes into play. But that’s a different story. Anyhow, it eventually evens out throughout the month and becomes consistent, because the ranks are still very close. This is very competitive game play.

Furthermore, in a lot of competitive games there is a second MMR when you reach max rank.

HS, on the other hand, basically breaks it up into three brackets: New/bad players, good players, and great players. This isn’t very competitive.

At the beginning of each season, everyone resets to 0, but gets a boost based on their MMR in the form of Stars, but also faces people relative to them. However, because the start of a new season is often flooded by competitive and bad players (because they did so well at the start of last month, since their mmr was so low they won matches, but couldn’t climb because of stars) so the “good” players find themselves in a strange spot of lots of ups and downs until the end of the month. At the end of the month, the bad players basically all got stuck below them, and the great players are now so far away they won’t face them anymore.

The great players just steam-roll back to the high ranks. This leaves the impression that everyone is making progress in the game, when really they are likely just staying stuck where they are, then resetting. It’s an illusion meant to get people addicted.

Well, you offer no other explanation, so I’ll assume you don’t have some convoluted explanation or numbers, and thus, this comment was just another way for you to try and get points somewhere.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this has got nothing to do with IQ

Plenty of famous mathematicians were paranoids, schizophrenics and conspiracy theorists

It’s just how they’re hardwired

No, they’re playing each other, and probably close to a 50% win rate. They just both advance rapidly even if they trade wins due to the star bonus.

You really don’t have an accurate assessment of how mmr matching works. Your displayed rank is entirely irrelevant to matching as long as you have a star bonus.

1 Like

This is inaccurate and contradicts what you just said. MMR matters, right?

Anyhow, those “Great” players will also be matched against “Good” players early on, thus having a higher than 50% win rate. Or, perhaps they have the better, up-to-date deck, so even if they are matched with other “Great” players, they will win more early on. Money and deck building skill matters early in a season, too, but peters out. Meanwhile, the “Good” players keep butting against other “Good” players, those who upgraded, and “Great” players, so they stay where they are until late season, unless they pay, where they can climb faster, but eventually hit a wall because of skill.

My assessment is pretty much spot-on, even if I left some things out. It’s all designed so everyone has to climb and feel some sort of accomplishment, while landing right back where they were.

1 Like

No, you’re not reading it properly.

Matching is done by MMR at Legend, in Casual, and when you have a star bonus at the beginning of the month in Ranked. It works the exact same in each case.

When you don’t have star bonus, your rank is used to match, not your MMR.

No, because two “Great” players have a similar MMR and will be matched with each other before either would get matched with a “Good.” And there are enough players in all categories for rapid matching within a narrow MMR range.

They don’t need to have better than 50% win rate to advance rapidly when they’re getting ten stars per win.

1 Like

Why have we allowed a two year old thread of ridiculousness to be resurrected?