Wild has tanked

Good job team 5, no shocker at all you found away to ruin a mode that was atleast some what fun to play control decks in.

Now every game is decided by turn 4 or if your having bad luck turn 6 in wild. It’s either pure OTK or rush decks to win the game.

The new crap Druid OTK deck is way too broken with zero defense against it. Cause this game is just so interactive.

Or it’s just rush decks between pirate rogue, totem shaman or pirate priest.

About 1/10 games I’ll actually play against someone with a diff. Deck that is fun and then it’s back to facing one of the 2 above.

While I understand wild is the dumping ground for cards as it’s the only format I have played since it first came out. As standard is just garbage to me. Wild Atleast deserves alittle nerfing of cards every now and again.

But I can’t expect much from the same team or company that milks a game into oblivion, destoryed their own E-sport and cant fig. Out what direction they want to go with new modes such as twist.

Who ever is actually leading this team needs to be replaced with someone that actually has true direction and knows what they are doing instead of throw a dart at a board to decided what’s next. It’s really sad the state of the game keeps going down hill every year with each expansion getting alittle worse.

But it was always said since day 1 the only one that could destroy such an easy money making game is themselves. And honestly I’m surprised they managed to do it.

1 Like

I get some basic math so I know Wild has no chance; I dust all its cards automatically; early 2025 when 3 expansions are rotated I’m dusting everything day 1 without even a second thought.

Why? Because they can barely balance Standard; wild is multiple times more complex as a problem to balance; adding multiple times more cards makes it exponentially more complex.

2 Likes

I feel your pain. All of recent “balance” changes they’ve made seem geared toward making new cards completely broken in Wild instead of keeping Wild Wild. To put it a different way, it seems like Standard players are the ones “balancing” Wild.

It’s a very predictable combo and playstyle, and that’s a weakness. I climbed to legend this month against combo druids and pirate decks with a questline hunter list that runs two copies of Pressure Plate and two copies of Snipe. Those secrets, drawn and played in time, wreck the combo druids pretty reliably. The rest of my deck is built to just murder pirates.

So, it can be done. Now, it’s not a deck I play for fun and enjoyment (except for the enjoyment of wrecking druids… I hate those guys). But yeah, the state of Wild is pretty bad, and next to zero chance of Blizzard of doing anything substantive about it, which is sad.

2 Likes

Fair. A spell that benefits pain warlock builds only has no right to exist in standard right now… but in wild? Even though mass production made the deck more than fine already? Somehow, somrwhere, someone didn’t think they were taking enough damage fast enough

I’ve been F2P since the beginning; as frustrated as I get with the Wild meta – and as pessimistic as I am about the mode’s future – I’d never dust my collection.

With all the rewards Blizzard gives for just playing the game, I think it’s very possible for most players to grow a Wild collection, without too much impact on their Standard one. Dust is just a horrible return on value.

At the very least, don’t disenchant anything until you actually need the dust. Second least, maybe keep the commons and rares, so the mode is at least marginally playable, and prioritize disenchant targets: golden > legendary > epic.

FWIW. Cheers, and GLHF.

2 Likes

That’s probably why. I imagine for the first couple of years nobody was dusting almost anything because you had no other cards to use; it went on and on like that or partly like that for a few more years; it started becoming a huge collection that felt too good to lose and it remained with you that way.

Now imagine the real situation for us new players starting in say Badlands; why should I keep cards from 2 years ago when I’m seriously starved of dust;; it’s not like my Wild collection isn’t abysmal to begin with and I never play (or want to play) Wild anyway outside quests/achievements.

2 Likes

If you never have a collection, of course you’ll never want to play. But you don’t have to grow your collection fast, just grow it at all. The nice thing about cards from the last two years is that they’re generally much more powerful than cards from 10 years ago. So if you just start saving commons and rares, which don’t yield much dust anyway, and prioritize your disenchants (or just the cards from your favorite class, plus interesting neutrals), you can start building a collection that may give you some fun casual options in the future.

If at some point in the future you find yourself with a surplus of gold, you can start to buy packs from earlier expansions (say, up to 30, to at least get the guaranteed legendary, all of the commons, and many of the rares). And if you find yourself with surplus dust, there are relatively few “must have” cards in Wild that deserve to be crafted.

Like wrote, it’s just my advice, FWIW, as someone who gets regularly frustrated with both Wild and Standard metas, and switches between them regularly. I probably would have dropped the game altogether long ago if I had limited myself to just Standard.

The only thing wild is good for is questing. I couldnt care any less about winning games in that format, i blast quest games then leave as soon as they are done.

1 Like

Not sure you understand the vast number of cards missing from Wild from someone starting playing now. They are literally 23 expansions with 0 cards on.

It’s basically cheaper to directly craft a Wild netdeck than to wait patiently; even though that’s a hypothetical; if we don’t play Wild why should we collect?

1 Like

And yet you can still only put 30 (or 40) cards into a deck. I made several solid suggestions that any F2P player can implement to get more value out of their investment (of time) in the game.

You (maybe not you specifically) don’t play now, because you have no collection. You may play in the future if you do have one. And I swear to Yogg, it’s not hard to build some kind of playable Wild collection, even starting now.

People like to complain that Hearthstone is so very expensive. If you dust all your cards every year, then yes, it’s probably expensive. Again, dust is horrible value for your investment in the game.

You do you; good luck.

4 Likes

I don’t complain. You came to the thread shouting to Standard players with 0 expansions banked from 2014 to start collecting Wild cards when they don’t even play the format.

And you don’t get how much I KNOW Wild has no chance at balance; Blizzard would have to sell off the game first; you may not get the math involved in the problem complexity.

No shouting, just some advice humbly offered in case someone might find it useful.

This isn’t the first time you’ve tried to tell me what I don’t know. I think that’s kind of rude.

And you did it again. Rude.

What you don’t seem to “get” is that I don’t care what you do with your collection or how you play the game. I offered my advice not just to you, but to whomever might be interested. You’re not interested? Fine. I won’t try to convince you, but when you ask a direct question like “why?”, I figured I’d try to answer.

Have the last word, if you like; I’m done here.

3 Likes

Nice attempt at reverse psychology manipulation. You will get a reply.

I don’t want to play Wild; I find it dumb; your advice is bad.

Idk…I don´t have any of those decks you mentioned and play in legend rank in wild. I love wild. If you don´t spend money on cards, you are left with wild, as standard requires you to have the newest cards ASAP to even go somewhere…

1 Like

As long as people continue to play greedy OTK decks aggro is going to be top of the meta. That’s just the nature of the game.

For those of you that dust all your wild cards each rotation how can you afford to play only standard? I see that as a complete waste of money. If I buy or craft cards then I’m going to play them regardless of if they rotated or not.

You could say that about literally any existing card game. You don’t have to do anything but the format is there for people who have been playing for a while.

You probably shouldn’t start collecting but that doesn’t mean you can’t find some Wild deck you think looks cool and just play that. Benefit of not dusting wild cards is that you can play casuals with friends (meta decks off-limits), you can queue ranked with a variety of decks, and you can do cubes or restricted formats with friends where you do like horde vs alliance races, only minions wearing hats, etc.

1 Like

The thing is that I have identified that Wild is sort of abandoned by the Devs; I say sort-of because in part it’s forced on them; I know that mathematically it’s an exponentially harder problem of balancing as you add cards to it (not linearly harder (i.e. if you have double the cards it’s not just 2X more complex but multiple times more complex than that (and it has more than 2X cards that are powerful))).

Hence I put way more weight on Standard having a collection compared to Wild because it’s the format with the most chance to be balanced and generally be well designed.

Standard is already hard to collect cards for with F2P as it is especially if you don’t play non-stop for >2 years and haven’t gone through at least 2 rotations already.

See, you’d think that would be the case but I don’t know if I believe that. Older games have pretty extensive ban lists and MTG is able to juggle multiple formats. Granted they dropped legacy but then they adopted pioneer into the competitive rotation and commander is delegated by an outside party (Commander Rules Committee). Hearthstone can’t have an equivalent to the CRC because it’s digital BUT it would probably only take a small team to actually listen to the community in terms of what players think are too problematic.

And recently there were huge changes to Wild that were actually good. Wild is, for the first time in years, playable.

That’s fine. Standard definitely has more attention. That’s a given since it’s the golden goose for the game. Twist was kind of meant to bridge the gap in profitability for a Wild-esque experience but I think it’s been a bit mismanaged because it’s mostly just been ‘hey look at these re-balanced retro formats.’ Caverns of Time was pretty awesome though and I think the card design for the new cards was actually amazing.

Yeah if you are f2p in Standard then there’s no way you can obtain enough resources to build a collection in Wild. I know a lot of people dust rotating cards once rotation hits so they have enough to build new decks. I personally don’t think that’s necessary because hunter and paladin decks over the last 3 years or so have shown the some of the best decks (and in some cases TEH defacto best decks) are extremely budget but if either of those two classes are not your playstyle then relegating yourself to them kind of sucks and you really need dust to play anything other than those two classes. Most expensive classes tend to be warrior and druid since most of their card designs hinge on powerful legendary minions and at least with warrior, that’s been the case since classic.

I got my brother into the game recently and I fast-tracked his collection by buying him a bunch of bundles. He is still missing a ton of stuff but there’s no way I expect him to have any kind of fun starting off f2p even for standard with nothing. I don’t think he’ll personally buy cards for himself but I’ll probably continue doing that for him.

1 Like

On the balancing complexity: it’s not a matter of belief or a secret: it’s just the mathematics of it; when you add more powerful cards into the problem then the problem becomes exponentially harder (not just linearly harder (i.e. if it has double the powerful cards it’s way more complex than just 2X more complex to balance)); it’s unknown to me how many cards are powerful; but it’s pretty obvious a lot of cards are powerful in Wild (the additionally powerful cards are probably more than the number of cards that are only in Standard).

Yes I know other games may do it and theoretically it’s possible to handle even that. But I don’t see the culture of Blizzard changing any time soon on that.