Why is Mage so bad

Mage need some major TLC, i believe Skarr should’ve been a mage card instead of shaman, i hope the mini set gives mage a significant boost to either a low cost hero card that gives + spell damage, or a type of objection secret again.

2 Likes

Mage has been bad for several years now because Blizzard consistently gives the class meme cards every expansion.

What’s worse is Mage has no unique identity exclusive to the class. No, not even “randomness.” Mage also has mostly minions with bad stats for their costs. Other classes get the same or similar minions and spells that are blatantly better.

Perfect example are all the “draw 2” cards, all putting Arcane Intellect to shame. Arcane Explosion was stolen and made stronger by Priest with Condemn. Priest also has Sorcerer’s Apprentice 2 mana cheaper and with better stats, and just recently got the Un’Goro Mage quest reward conveniently attached to a minion. That’s right, not even taking an extra turn is an exclusive Mage identity, and yes, I know Temporus already exists.

You get the idea.

Shaman and Druid utilize spell damage much easier and have more synergies with it.

If you want to get into secrets, jeez, here we go:

Secrets are done by three other classes and have arguably stronger secrets relative to their costs. Additionally, many of those secrets are only avoided by not playing the game normally, whereas many Mage secrets encourage you to play the game to avoid them (i.e. dealing damage to face to not trigger Rigged Faire Game).

Why couldn’t Oasis Ally work like Noble Sacrifice? The art on the card even shows the Water Elemental saving the minion from being attacked. 3 mana to get a delayed Water Elemental late in the match, wow!

Why couldn’t Flame Ward work like Explosive Trap? For their costs, their effects should be switched. Explosive Trap should not be much stronger for 1 mana less.

Also look at the more recent secrets like Azerite Vein and Summoning Ward. Those are not 3-cost secrets, let alone ones Mage can utilize.

The thing about Mage is it’s meant to be a spell-flinging class. That’s what being a mage is all about, is it not? Yet whenever Mage does its thing, people whine, and whine, and whine until nerfs happen. Other classes can burst or even OTK from hand, but if Mage does it, the torches and pitchforks mob comes out.
“6 damage to face with one spell?! That’s unfair! Anyway, say hi to my buffed up 12/8 Leeroy that gets to stay on the board after dealing damage.”

5 Likes

I truly could not said it any better

1 Like

Mage is all about casting spells, and well summoning Water Elementals, so any minion based deck pretty much counters Mage.

2 Likes

I love that you look for meaning in the art. It’s the main reason I collect the golden cards.

2 Likes

Called it. Interesting how deep rooted the corruption here is.

Now brought to you by microsoft.

2 Likes

Well look at that, Mage is getting even more meme cards with the upcoming mini-set. What a shock.

1 Like

You realize MS has nothing to do with the goings on at blizzard, right? If its running fine, which it seems to be, they will not intervene unless there are problems of a societal nature or a montary nature.

What they do reflects on their parent company, and if they take actions, make statements (or fail to when their subsidiary doesn’t) what they approve by their direct action (or lack of) has everything to do with them.

If you choose not to intervene when your company has a terrible workplace culture, terrible product, etc. and let them continue with the status quo, you are continuing to promote that status quo.

If its making them money, that’s all they care about. That’s all ANY corporation cares about. The moment it starts COSTING them money, is when they start to get involved.

It’s losing them money, by their own quarterlies.

And while corporations care about money, only the cartoonishly evil ones in movies think about money above all other concerns.

Apparently, modern corporations decided that the weyland-yutani playbook was somehow the best way to operate.

More sensible ones actually realized that bottom line only ones make you look like, well…a cartoonishly evil movie mega corp and it hurts both your image and your sales.

Just to reiterate how bad standard Mage is? I started playing this mage deck (see below), and i after a few games of surprisingly dominating my opponents, i realized that i miss these style of mage decks, even with ice block…i know most people hate playing against it, it was relatively balanced, yes i can take multiple turn after presumed lost, but the opponent got get a turn also. I say all of that just post that team 5 needs to give us mage mains better support not broken decks but high game IQ cards( we’re mages).

This deck only attracts bots, i had switched up decks to test my theory and the test deck got me a human, switched back and got more bots, the only explanation i can up with is that after all of those stupid losts with standard mage, they are giving me easy wins on the wild side "/

Bot Police

Class: Mage

Format: Wild

2x (1) First Flame

2x (1) Jaina’s Gift

2x (1) Mirror Image

2x (1) Primordial Studies

2x (1) Ray of Frost

1x (1) Sorcerer’s Gambit

1x (2) Frostbolt

2x (2) Ignite

2x (2) Rewind

1x (2) Runed Orb

1x (2) Siphon Mana

2x (4) Cold Case

2x (5) Apexis Blast

1x (5) Flame Lance

2x (5) Manufacturing Error

1x (6) Blizzard

1x (7) Mass Polymorph

1x (8) Yogg in the Box

1x (9) Rune of the Archmage

1x (10) The Galactic Projection Orb

AAEBAc/wBArQ7APo9wOKjQSYjQT7ogTx0wTmpga6pwbbuAaF5gYKvAifmwOBvwPNzgOu9wOy9wPb3gTgwwXlpgbnqQYAAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

My theory: Hearthstone doesn’t care about the mage class, the real mage in the game is the druid, the druid doesn’t have much spell damage in the opponent’s face, but the potential that the druid class can generate through its own cards , no other class with a focus on conjuration can match it!
The minisets have the same behavior as the previous ones: just one good card, usually a legendary card, the rest of the cards are complete rubbish!!

The three mage cards are already out and they are very bad, these cards will not change the mage’s ranking position.

1 Like

I like the concept of the mage class, but in Hearthstone the class that behaves the same as the mage concept is the Druid.
In Hearthstone the Druid is a powerful arcane spellcaster, while the Jaina/Mage is a student of magic, still learning!!

The mage is a turrd, a piece of shhit! I collect both, but in Hearthstone, the true mage is the Druid class.

1 Like