Why Highlander dosent check at the start of the game?

I mean just make it like Genn and Baki (Even/Odd) and check at the start of the Game, there are no duplicates, so many deck play Reno and play doubles, but they dosent care and play active reno nearly on curve…

Greetings…

1 Like

Genn and Baku benefited you from the start of the game
So they needed that
Hughlander cards are played at some point during the game

The general reason is “because that’s how they wanted it to be”
It changes a lot of interactions if these cards were to check your base deck.
Just for the sake of accessibility, checking the base deck could be a bad design

2 Likes

In the unlikely event that this happens, how would you counter a Highlander? :thinking:

1 Like

If the highlander cards checked the deck as constructed, the opponent wouldn’t have the opportunity to shut them down by playing things like weasels, albatrosses, bombs or plagues.

As the highlander cards are now, there are ways to counter them.

2 Likes

because is a restriction to activate an effect

and not a deckbuilding restriction

2 Likes

There are ways to counter them as stated with weasels, albatrosses, bombs and psychic scream to shuffle dupes into there deck.

However plagues in there current state are too much of a counter since all it take is one legendary and highlander is for all intent and purpose is dead, due to the lack of a removal tool in standard.

Due to no steam cleaner you can’t ditch Helya cards more or less at all and this is my issue with having Highlander not check at the start of the game, there is no counter play to this at all apart from get lucky and kill before helya lands or get wheel in your reno warlock deck to purge them.

In my opinion, if Helya made it so that ‘plagues triggered one extra time’ then it would be fine since there is counter play in survive and outlast the plagues, in comparison to currently where it is pray and kill fast.

To be fair, I might have missed a card similar to steam cleaner in standard and if so tell me but all I can see is Wheel and that’s it.

1 Like

I don’t fully understand what you’re getting at here.

What do you mean by “Why highlander doesn’t check at the start of the game?”

You want the game to stat if your opponent is playing a highlander deck at the start?

It’s really easy to tell if your opponent is playing highlander or not.

However, some players put Reno into their decks to play after the duplicates in their decks are gone, Wheel Warlock is a perfect example of this, but that does not make their deck Highlander.

1 Like

‘You want the game to stat if your opponent is playing a highlander deck at the start?’
I think that’s what he wants.

For the game to check if your deck is highlander at the start then enable the highlander conditions regardless of deck state later in the match, such as ignoring plagues, weasels, albatrosses, etcetera.

I guess in theory that will stop people putting Reno into decks that aren’t highlander, but then there is no counter to it since the effect will always be active.

1 Like

Ohhh… so they want Highlander decks to work like highlander decks regardless if someone plays a card to counter them? Yeah, that’s not going to happen.

1 Like

I’d gladly trade what we have now for start of game no duplicates and make 3 mana Zephrys and 10 mana Reno Hero to “balance” since they will always be active in true highlander decks.

They will never do that though despite it being good for the game. Too much Dust refund

I’d gladly trade a 10 mana Reno Hero to “balance” helya since she cucks highlander decks in standard due to the lack of a deck cleanse.

How did the dev’s not see this becoming an issue, she literally only has one counter and that’s warlock exclusive.

1 Like

just to nit-pick … technically mage shares a dual-class deck destruction card that can remove up to 5 (10 with 2-of) plagues, and all classes can still run tony however silly of a tech card it is … i don’t disagree with your sentiment of the counters being quite limited tho

2 Likes

He wants Reno battlecry to be “if your deck had no duplicates at the start of the game …”, instead of “if your deck has no duplicates …”.

i.e. he wants highlander to be insanely good and have no counter at all.

1 Like

Plaque is what you need.

1 Like

If it were as the OP says the plagues would be useless for this purpose

1 Like

The only viable counter is wheel, and tony

1 Like

you get me wrong, i mean this on top to your actual deck, so when you start with doubles, you dont get highlander effect, and when you have doubles from your opponent like ; (plaque, weasel and stuff like this)

1 Like

There is also the mage/warlock spell that mills 5, deals 5 and summons a 5 cost.

Thought that is more gambling since you need to be low in deck size to mill a majority of plagues.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with countering highlander decks?

1 Like

That card should have been a warlock only card. What mage player, in their right mind, plays that card organically? The worst is getting it from yoggs prison. I’ve conceded games after that happens.

1 Like