Why don't emojis always work in BG?

Is there a limit to how many times you can use them or something?

I like to wave goodbye to people when I knock em out and sometimes (especially towards the end) it doesn’t show.

While you’re watching combat animations in the app, as far as the server is concerned that entire combat already completed. So if combat has started but the game is already over because all other players are eliminated, then emotes are not valid because there is no game anymore, just the illusion of one as you watch it end. This normally only applies to the final two matchup, but it can also happen if the 3rd remaining player is killed by Kel’thusad. You can’t “wave goodbye” to 2nd place, 3rd place is a maybe, and 4th or worse you should always be able to.

Similarly, if you concede during the combat animation when you would have died anyway, you were actually already dead so it doesn’t hurt your placement.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense, it’s kind of like how achievement popups occur sometimes while the animation is still happening.

It is usually the final fight where the emote doesn’t pop up

2 Likes

Outside of the “waving goodbye” scenario there is kind of the useless “too many messages please wait for voicelines to come off cooldown” cap from overwatch in place here. I would imagine it’s in place to stop us from spamming angry emotes but the cap seems to have diminishing returns as the match goes on. By turn 10 I can only emote maybe 3 times before it’s grayed to next turn while at the start of the match I can spam A. F. Kay eating a donut to my hearts content.

Probably has something to do with the more emotes you’ve used the longer the cooldown gets between each one

That means, the Devs believe, constructed should have no communication at all.