Why again were Warlocks nerfed?

I love how warlocks got nerfed despite low overall win rates. Only class not present in top 10 after the first week. Don’t appear until rank 30.

This game sucks.

2 Likes

Wild. It was busted in Wild.

3 Likes

Great, so why are they balancing toward wild?

2 Likes

Blizzard has been doing balance changes for Wild ever since Ben Brode left over 2 years ago.

It just happens that this is the only time that nerfing for Wild couldn’t solve the problem without affecting Standard.

I had suggested banning it in Wild until rotation, and nerfing it at that time, but I am not in charge.

3 Likes

Old Darkglare was awful in Wild, although I’m not convinced the meta had fully adjusted to it pre-nerf.

OTOH, I’ve been toying around with a gala zoo version at D5 in standard. Not a huge sample size but I’ve easily trounced two guardian druids so far. And got rofl stomped by a face hunter, so not anti-meta at all lol.

To sell a Wild bundle.

2 Likes

because darkglare could in one turn cheat more mana than druid can in an entire game

2 Likes

Having potentially 4 0-mana giants on turn 4 isn’t broken at all.

Let’s not fool ourselves, Druids can (in Wild) pull a 60+ mana turn with proper setup and a bit of draw luck. And Avianna + Innervate + Kun can cheat out even more than a Darkglare turn.

The main difference is that Druid generally has to wait until they have 10 mana while pre-nerf Darkglare could semi-reliably do it on turn 3-5. Tour Guide and Raise Dead really pushed that deck over the top.

balancing of standard cards are usually done based on standard performance. standard would quickly become really weird if everything was balanced based on cards on played in wild.

This one nerf was a single exceptions, since the card was only really broken with the right set-up.

which was play it on turn 3 and your opponent must kill it or they lose any chance to control the board for the game?

Thanks for reminding. Such kind of decks shouldn’t be viable anyway. You also forgot that they turn a 4 mana 7/7 taunt on turn 4
It’s not like they have no clear spells at all :wink:

Balancing for wild is just stupid. The whole point of wild is the cheese factor. They need to pick one to balance. Seems like they are just getting greedy. Balance and sell your current expansion like every other game. It seems like the Devs have no direction and there is zero reliability. No point in spending money on new expansions if they are balancing toward wild.

That’s a common misconception.

Wild is the mode where you can play all collectible cards, so that you are able to play a deck you recall from previous rotations (if you have the cards). That was the developer’s intention from the very beginning of the Wild/Standard split.

While they also acknowledge that some combos in Wild can be quite powerful and that new cards can combine with old cards for crazy results, they’re also concerned with the mode being playable for those who do want to play with their entire collection.

1 Like

I don’t have numbers handy atm, but I’ve read that Wild is actually far more popular for the Chinese server, which has waaay more players than any other server (if memory serves).

From that perspective it makes sense, to me at least, why they would want to cater to such a large (and potentially profitable) segment of the game’s population.

You may not agree, but this is a business after all.

There is a difference between people who pay and people who play. Here’s the thing, wild is great for people who have been playing for a while, but it’s prohibitively expensive for people who are new. I started playing this game in April, I’ve spent around $100 getting started and focused on the warlock class. Right now, I’m thinking I wasted $100. They need standard to appeal to newer players or the game will atrophy. I’m sure there are a ton of Wild players, but they aren’t what’s going to keep the game running. There is a reason no other card game focuses on the “Wild” concept, it can’t be balanced. It’s a frivolous endeavor. Frankly, now that I know they are willing to sacrifice standard play in favor of Wild, I won’t be spending money on this game.

Sure they can!

As the expansion grind continues we are seeing more and more Wild staples/archetypes being supplanted and bolstered by new sets.

Are expansions focused solely on Wild? Of course not, but they are contributing to keeping our eternal format fresh with additional deck options cropping up. Ultimately that’s good for players and Blizzard.

I get it. You recently came to game, invested some scratch and are miffed that your meta deck got trounced by nerfs. We ALL get it and it’s incredibly frustrating!

The community wants to see you stay but if the darkglare nerf really was too much, then you may find more enjoyment elsewhere.

Otherwise, here’s an opportunity to try something new with either another class or within Warlock. Up to you.

1 Like

This was a refreshingly positive post to read. It’s like… actual kindness or something. :yum:

1 Like

they had to nerf it. in wild the deck had win rates as good as the overpowered 15k dust reno priests while only costing around 5k dust… reno priest was not nerfed apparently :slight_smile:

I think your confusing the overall premise of balancing wild over standard with “darkglare nerf.”

We’ll see. It’s kind of like WoW, slowly dying because it doesn’t bring in new players.

I’m not that new to games like this in general though. Obviously, it’s frustrating. Lots of things in gaming are frustrating, but very few things are “leave game frustrating.” I am not going to wild.

3 words: Magic the Gathering.

No, they are being balanced solely on Wild. You literally cannot do both. Trading card games aren’t new. I’ve been playing them my entire life. No other game does wild in a competitive format. There is a reason for this.

We’ll see. I think we have another system like Heros of the Storm.

No

Ultimately this game is going the same way as HOTS. Lacking direction and commitment.