Where is the fun in this anymore?

To preface this, I am a VERY casual player. I don’t get high rank, I can’t even GET high rank despite using netdecks that are promised to be “diamond/legend/whatever”. I play to relax or to game in short periods when I have to cook or whatnot. I’ve been doing this for a number of years.

But with this set of expansions…I’m not having fun. At all.

The current meta is faster games, with folks going for rapid wins on turn 6, or roping until turn 9 when they OTK me. The decks I get suggested don’t work or rely on a 1/30 miracle pull turn 1 that I never get. And if you don’t get the miracle pull, it’s pretty much a loss.

The current event is even less than fun: it is a slog. “Play or destroy 75 Pirates”…took me 2 hours. The people I was matched up with didn’t play any Pirates, and I got defeated by round 7. “Play 15 Marin’s treasures” took me almost 6 HOURS. I didn’t pull Marin, I didn’t have time to play him or I didn’t have time to play him AND then play a treasure. I counted over 50 losses before I gave up counting.

Battlegrounds was a mode I enjoyed, and had fun with. Not anymore. The new “meta” if you want to call it that, is borderline on insanity. The trinkets they add to the midgame rarely work as intended, or even pretend to be useful. Case in point, I had 3 Mechs, and the only tribe specific trinket was “Get a Demon every turn”. Not very helpful, and the other choices were abysmal as well. Yet other folks get super-complimentary options, have drawn every possible combo and manage to create exceedingly high beatdowns on me. Even IF I try to copy them, all I get is another loss to my column.

So how is this fun? Who finds enjoyment in spending increasingly high number of hours getting beatdown by “Worth Opponents” who happen to have superior EVERYTHING? What am I missing that would make this game “fun” again? Or is it just better to finally admit that this game will never be “fun” to me, and go ahead and uninstall it rather than waste time on it?

1 Like

It seems you want to win more now and you don’t. You should try to study the game a bit; it’s not that hard to go at least Diamond 10; the way you write seems you’re intelligent enough.

What netdeck do you play now? What difficulties do you have with it?

@Carinvore
“It seems you want to win more now and you don’t. You should try to study the game a bit; it’s not that hard to go at least Diamond 10; the way you write seems you’re intelligent enough.”

Maybe for you, but I don’t have the luxury of “studying” a game for hours on end: I work 50+ hours each week and other upkeep eats the time as well. Still, you want to try to explain the fun in losing…

My current deck is a Warrior one: ### This one

Class: Warrior

Format: Standard

Year of the Pegasus

2x (1) Garrosh’s Gift

1x (1) Town Crier

1x (2) Bash

1x (2) Dirty Rat

2x (2) Needlerock Totem

2x (2) Safety Goggles

2x (2) Shield Block

1x (2) Stoneskin Armorer

2x (2) Tidepool Pupil

1x (2) Trail Mix

1x (3) All You Can Eat

2x (3) New Heights

1x (3) Photographer Fizzle

1x (4) Craftsman’s Hammer

1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager

1x (2) Dirty Rat

1x (3) All You Can Eat

1x (8) Boomboss Tho’grun

2x (5) Chemical Spill

1x (6) Hamm, the Hungry

1x (6) Sanitize

1x (7) Marin the Manager

2x (8) Hydration Station

1x (8) Inventor Boom

1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000

1x (0) Zilliax Deluxe 3000

1x (4) Virus Module

1x (5) Perfect Module

AAECAeP5Aw6Q1AT9xAWs0QWQ+wWh+wWLlAbRngbHpAaTqAbDugaOvwa6wQb6yQbk5gYIjtQEnJ4Gh6AGj6gG7KkGwr4G0MoG88oGAAEG95cG/cQF0Z4G/cQF9LMGx6QG97MGx6QGjr8G/cQF6d4Gx6QGAAA=

The problems are that the deck has no clearcut “win” condition and routinely mis-starts even with muliigan: I need to get 4 possible cards in the starting hand and I almost never see all the pieces in one go. I have games where I can’t even see more than 2 pieces for a win, and when it stalls it’s a loss waiting to happen.

That being said, I don’t have the dust to go crafting cards, don’t have the cards to get high tier packs for free, and no desire to spend real money on a game that is no longer “fun”.

I meant study it if it’s fun to do it; you seem to want to win more; part of the fun might be preparing to do it.

I’m not an expert on warrior. It seems to have cards mainly played on Reno/Highlander warrior; the class isn’t amazing this patch but it seems best on Odyn and Reno/Highlander version; see hsguru dot com and navigate the Meta and Decks pages and filter/look for Warrior.

So your logic is circular: you should study the game to have fun, but you can’t have fun losing in the game until you study. Perhaps you should back out, or at least explain yourself clearly.

I feel like the fun died when streamers like Arnaz and TrumpSC, who just had fun playing the game, quit.

1 Like

I believe what the thread maker is explaining is they want a meta with less swing turns that is more consistent from turn to turn.

You responded to a strawman. I said some of us have fun by also looking into the mechanics of the game before we play (I never told you that you MUST do it to have fun).

I suspect you’d have more fun if you don’t lose; you can keep queuing without changing anything on that deck; but that might make this game unfun and not for you.

I made a self destruct deck, that’s been fun. Games end super fast and I finish dailies that require Warlock real quick.

I had a match where I actually tried to win to see if I could. I got pretty close to winning once. I think the other player was getting bad luck on their draws. So I got them down to like 3 HP then defeated myself.

1 Like

You mean to kill yourself before the TIMER that doesn’t allow you to concede to get credit is over? That’s hilarious and clever.

Though I generally try to also win even if the deck is terrible; it gives credit for achievements; also XP.

And bingo was his name-o.

Listen, “fun” is subjective. Furthermore, not everything needs to be for everyone.

You tried it, you didn’t like it, and that’s okay. It’s fine to walk away, temporarily or permanently. Find something you like.

1 Like

The game is in such a sorry state that even playing off meta decks is a complete death blow in low ranks. You have to play the most mind numbing meta decks like everyone else if you want to win. I log in to do quests for gold then leave ASAP.

A just picked druid with a lot of ramping and taelan + that choose 1 spell that buys either your highest cot card or your lowest, easy as heck, in just sum minutes.

And I really do agree that the trinkets AI pool should be updated.

I had a board with 5 quillboars and one mech bomb and the game offers the bomb trinket rather than a boar one.