What did I "agree" to?

I logged into HS just now and it was weird, it took me out and made me agree to some terms or something. This has…basically never happened before. So, why now? What changed? Is it because they can pester you in game about leaving a playstore review now? Or something different?

2 Likes

I only skimmed it myself, looked to just be an updated CoC and ToS with standard Arbitration clauses and hold harmless clauses. Meaning there is no avenue of suing Hearthstone/Blizzard/Activision/Microsoft for any reason or any chance of a class action lawsuit being formed because you agreed to their terms not to. Standard Click to agree legal talk boxes we always accept upon use of any software really. There might be some other details i missed, but its most likely just an updated version considering Microsoft is part of the legal chain of custody of the game now. If anyone knows of anything beyond this please elaborate. But from my skim of it thats all I saw.

1 Like

It might have to do with a class action suit someone mentioned waaaay back. Something about Battle.net selling user information to facebook or something like that. Again, I’m not too sure about if that’s the reason for the new TOS. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

class action waivers have been in every tos Ive ever clicked I agree to for not just blizzard games but every software Ive ever installed. I doubt they have any grounds to file one. There is the opt out for california residents for their data collection so I doubt even there they have any grounds for one.

1 Like

And still how many class action suits has ActiBliz been forced to payout? :smile: apparently, TOS isn’t legally binding and there’s currently one in progress about ActiBliz selling player information to Facebook - so there’s that as well.

1 Like

Didn’t read the print? You dun signed your life and kids away!

Oh well… good thing I don’t have kids and uh, what life? I play Hearthstone. :grin::laughing:

SInce you are the resident expert on such topic:

Yes, Im curious, how many?

Its a contract. It is susceptible to contract law in any given state the contract says it will be arbitrated in, or in any non arbitrated contract, the state that either the plaintiff or defendant reside in. A contract is a contract, and one party can sue the other for enforcement of the terms of the contract, or to plea to the courts to release them from the contract pursuant to mitigating circumstances or breaches of contract by the other party, etc.

A TOS is most certainly a legally binding contract that the 2 parties enter into. The ability to nullify it depends on the state law being applied, the state itself that it is being contested in, and the breaches of the contract if any were made. A TOS may not be upheld, much like any other contract, if within the TOS a state law is being broken, that is an unenforceable contract like any other that would say sneak in a clause where you signed away your firstborn child (human trafficking, also illegal). That can go to the courts and easily have a judge nullify the contract and issue damages, or the parties could easily settle outside of court and drop the case entirely from all parties. In the latter the company gets the benefit of never having a judgement against them for any wrongdoing. So while settle out of court looks or sounds bad, it in fact, is not actually bad for the company.

So how many class action suits have they already paid out? How many are currently working their way thru the system now? I defer to the expert to enlighten us.