VS Report is out

Whatcha think?

1 Like

Quest Shaman is finally showing signs of decline in play, especially from rank 4 onwards. The archetypeā€™s performance on ladder hasnā€™t lined up with its popularity, and you could definitely say that itā€™s been overplayed for whatever reason (stream exposure, power level perception, fun aspect). Meanwhile, Murloc Shaman is creeping up, with the Fleshshaper/Mutate variant increasing in popularity.

Priest continues to rise in play, and why shouldnā€™t it? Combo Priest has consistently proven to be the strongest deck in the format over the last few weeks, and reliable counters to the archetype havenā€™t emerged in great numbers. It is the most popular deck at legend, but itā€™s important to note that it is nowhere near as prevalent at lower ranks of ladder. At ranks 14-10, youā€™re more likely to meet a Resurrect Priest!

Doesnā€™t this, more or less, explain the boards viewpoint on these two classes?

Quest Shaman OP OP! No, reallyā€¦ itā€™s not. I think people find it to be a fun deck to play as it always has stuff to do and, more or less, always has out possibilities but it hasnā€™t been on the same power level of itā€™s more boring counterpart in Shaman - MurlocaShaman.

Edit: Before ā€œlawl profile pic of course defendingā€ I donā€™t really like Quest Shaman at all in Standard and Iā€™ve said since the beginning that I feel like the deck brings too much ā€˜garbageā€™ in the early turns to be a high-end deck in terms of WR.

Resurrect Priest: Has seen some vitriol spewed towards it here and there in Standard but the current iterations are justā€¦ ehhhā€¦ fun but nothing amazing at all. Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™d vote them as annoying as the Resurrect trick is only a 2x occurrence and that isnā€™t even that bad.

I am surprised to see Highlander Hunter doing so well.

You guys enjoy Standardā€¦ Outside of an occasional Standard game here or there Iā€™m basically back to Wild personallyā€¦ just prefer the variety and Iā€™d rather face Secret Mage than Combo Priest right now personally.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said it for a long timeā€¦ Quest shaman doesnā€™t have a strong backbone win condition.

It tries to win via incremental value, has no explosive plays without lucky discover/evolves, and has very exploitable holes in its midgame.

It is a strong deck, but far from OP.

I wish more people were as level headed as you and finally stop playing Quest Shaman :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can definitely say it ā€˜feelsā€™ like q shaman is in decline. It used to be nearly 30% of decks I played against an nearly 100% of shaman.

And yes, quest paladin kinda sucks, in a world dominated by combo priest and zeph, the deck has no win condition that is better than ignoring the quests and all the Garbo reborn and just play mechs or highlander

They spend their first few turns playing some janky minions to get the quest up, then they spend the rest of the game trying to leverage the hero power, spending 2 mana each time to do so. The fact that people somehow think thatā€™s meta-defining/broken boggles my mind. You can spend all game doubling up on your discovery, doesnā€™t mean diddly when youā€™re so far behind on board and unable to efficiently spend your mana on all the cards you generated with shamans OP generation ability. Its weak strategy, at least for now. Murloc shaman proves this.

Shaman has some nice control tools, so i could see the quest becoming good in the future, but right now it just feels weak.

I disagree. It has a number of win conditions, albeit none of them particularly fast:

• Swarm
  • On-hand burst
  • Out-value

Explosive plays, like Mogu + Mutate? Surprise lackey combinations?

How is it a strong deck without a strong win condition? Maybe it has a win condition but you have it mixed with classes that have an inevitable win condition, or alike?

1 Like

Itā€™s time to nerf Hunter and Priest, these two decks have been dominating Tier-1 for the last three reports.

Mage appeared on just one report as top-tiered and it was instantly destroyed. So if Blizzard had any fairness left in their judgement, we would see a new nerf next week or so.

2 Likes

First, youā€™re making a ton of bold assumptions about how and why nerfs happen.

Second, dear God shut up.

Third, okay ill grant you priest needs a tap on the balls. Just a tiny flick, a snap of the wrists and the tip of a finger, to remind them whos boss. Likeā€¦making cleric a 1/2.

2 Likes

You sound quite experienced with this. Tell us more.

3 Likes

This is the first meta Iā€™ve ever played wild (because of how boring standard became). I was also upset because Reno mage was the most fun Iā€™ve had in a long time.

On the plus side I got rank 64 legend yesterday in my first month trying wild! I donā€™t think Iā€™ll go back to standard until next expansion.

Itā€™s amazing how much playing a deck you enjoy is the difference between a 200 game grind to legend, or just logging in to do dailies.

3 Likes

Take middle finger.

Pull down and curl until its knocked and locked inside the crook of your thumb

Turn hand to face palm toward yourself.

Fling hand toward target, twisting the palm toward the target at the same time releasing the finger at the last second, and when you do pull hand back slightly.

Boom

When I say this I get flamed. :wink:

Pretty big disconnect between the stats and legend meta. I donā€™t think anyone would tell you Murloc Paladin is tier 1.

As I suspected, quest shaman is playing a ton of crappy cards in order to do their quest. If you put any kind of early/mid game pressure on them they crumble. But yeah combo priest seems to be the deck to beat currently, doesnā€™t seem so OP that it need a nerf though. A far cry from cyclone mage or control warrior anyway

Mainly cuz you always pair it with the 1 2 3 + RNG argument (or was that Slimjim?) as if that decides every game.

And how exactly do you nerf Hunter? Kill off its Classic cards? I donā€™t think that really fixes the problem, if there is one.

Secrets to 3 Mana. Zulā€™jin to 12 Mana. Hall of Fame Vicious Scalehide

Quest Shaman is weird: when it works, it works, but it also crumbles in certain ways, and thatā€™s mainly to do with 2 points that have been brought up:

• having to use your battlecry minions to finish the quest when you might prefer the value of using them afterwards.
  • having to expend 2 mana to have an empowered turn.

Quest Shaman seems to get punished pretty hard for not using mana efficiently, which they have difficulty maintaining because the hero power costs 2, unlike Druid. There are times where itā€™s more efficient NOT to hero power, and when you do have the mana to do so, you might also be floating mana with it.

That being said, there are many tools for Shaman to use to cover some of its weaknesses and provide some potentially polarising strengths. The Fleshshaper Evolve power play doesnā€™t even utilise Battlecries.

Quest Shaman sometimes brings out the worst parts of Shaman: a class I still continue to play and enjoy while saying itā€™s probably my least favourite class in some ways (eg: thematically), lol, but I like to play all classes.

You can filter to only Legend. Murloc Paladin is Tier 2 at Legend.

Thats because 100% of your posts are negative drivel.

Even the most boorish and jaded of us have the occasional happy thing to talk about. I mean Bowser manages one nice post a month!

Its not that youā€™re 100% wrong. Its that youā€™ve been such a god awful drag all the time people 100% stopped caring.

2 Likes