Upcoming Reckless Experimenter Card Change

Im sure people will blast you for not catching beforehand.

But i believe that no testing team is equal to the hivemind that is us. Our million errant thoughts are a better and more efficient control than any small team could be.

So, good job paying attention and listening. And acting.

1 Like

It’s only good that nobody rose up in pride and tried to defend it somehow… so many things could go wrong there.

I’m positively surprised lately - buffs to cards, quick response to an overlooked interaction (and not even trying to hide that it was simply overlooked)… it’s a step forward to those additional deck slots!

5 Likes

Thank you for your willingness to make changes for the health of the game, and for your quick action! :smiley:

1 Like

I really hope more deck slots are on the way!

Not to nitpick or anything (much anyway), but shouldnt the 1 be (1)?

I think you have the brackets in the wrong place, the italics should put enough emphasis on the nerf/additional condition and it would then be consistent when numbers referring to mana are used on cards.

Experimenter should have been this from the start. They should have had the forethought that one day some card will have a busted OP interaction with a card that can reduce mana costs to 0. There was a mention Mechwarper being a potential problem and I even see a 3 card combo in Warlock turn 9 with Glenda and Mechwarpers going infinite but this existed for a while now.

so now we are doing your job for you. you should have seen this. btw its still broken.

A long time ago there was talk of making a game wide change that ANY card that reduced mana cost could not reduce the cost to zero. This would kill some existing combos but would help avoid this issue in future releases and perhaps open up some design space. Overall I think it might not be a bad idea.

3 Likes

Like the saying goes, “none of us is as smart as all of us“.

There are some things you’re just gonna miss until everyone looks at the problem, and when that happens, you’ll think, “why didn’t I see it sooner?“

2 Likes

I’m really angry about this change, because you missed an interaction you are going to nerf a potentially interesting card (if you would ever release some support for it!) that weakens an already very weak class.

Now priest are going to be hard bottom of the class power rankings, extra arms at 2 is all very well and good, but priests don’t have the tools to run a mid-range tempo deck, so it’s pretty much worthless (the other priest card change is irrelevant , it takes a card from aggressively bad to just bad), we needed something like the crystology buff for paladin a push to an already existing archetype to make it competitive not just some random buffs (and now a nerf, wouldn’t want priest to be playable now would we!).

The fact you missed this in the first place is shocking , all it would take is typing “deathrattle” into the collection manager and checking the cards, doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence about your playtesting regime if you can’t spot something as glaringly obvious as this.

Seriously unimpressed by the whole debacle.

1 Like

It didn’t see any play anyways…

Yeah, I have test it with summoning portal and mechwarper a couple years ago. It does gets 0 cost.

Tho blizz gonna keep an eye about it.

Aw it would be nice to have tried it.
Snip is still kinda op,even on curve its strong and virtually guarantees you can magnetize something else next turn. Mechs in general will be strong with this card.
400 dust is welcome,i dont think card ever saw play.

Why would you type “deathrattle”?

Because the card you are about to add to the game has a Deathrattle, so you might want to check which cards interact with Deathrattles?

That does make sense, but in this case it’s not really the Deathrattle of the card that causes the problem.

Yeah?

Snip-Snap has Deathrattle.

This means Reckless Experimenter can discount it. RE would be used to discount this card, and RE is about deathrattles.

In case you didn’t know, RE plus snip snap would create infinite snipsnaps. This means it can’t do that now because they can’t cost 0.

1 Like

The only thing that the “nerf” affected was that specific combo until now, i have never seen a reckless experimenter in standar till now in this exp, wild i don’t know but you already have big priest there, i think you are overreacting

We don’t even get a mana drop to compensate? Ouch. Necessary change, but it would be nice if the card got a little love while you were at it. Thanks for keeping us informed.

When you type Deathrattle you are first looking for interactions with the Deathrattle effect. And there really is nothing worth even thinking about with the Deathrattle effect, since summoning 2 Microbots is already a common one.

The combo requires the combination of the card also being echo and magnetic and deathrattle.

The fact that you would have found the combo if you had looked at all cards which come up when you come deathrattle is a after the fact remark. Megajeff claims: "all it would take … ", but is it really that obvious? I think not. It seems as obvious as checking against all existing cards. Which you could argue they should do. But that’s another thing than what megajeff is ranting about.

1 Like