Twinspell mage full board of 8 cost minions turn 4?

I know the amount of skill needed is high but… maybe this needs a nerf?

5 Likes

Just prep + vani-

Oh wait…

11 Likes

I couldn’t believe this wasn’t addressed during the last round of nerfs. The card is very strong even without Twinspell. I think if you remove Twinspell, this card would still be used in most Mage decks.

9 Likes

All good players draw response to Giant the moment he is played. Its l2p issue I guess if you arent able to immediately destroy 8/8 at first turns

1 Like

Skill? Wtf xD
Nothing about this deck (and most decks for that matter) need any skill whatsoever. They are copy-paste netdecks. I have seen players who played on Rank 5 that got there with this netdeck that didn’t even know that they could use the spell on their opponent’s minions.
It’s just about luck/rng and the right cards at the right time.

That being said: The card is still 110% NOT ok. Conjurer’s being a twinspell has been absurd from the start.

1 Like

Ya because everyone has an answer for an 8/8 turn 3 in their deck.

Get real bro.

2 Likes

Not sure if sarcasm :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I thought it was obvious

7 Likes

Yeah ^^ It kinda was. But in these forums you never know …

1 Like

I remember when Handlock was considered strong because it could play a Mountain Giant or Twilight Drake on turn 4. Now we have a deck that can play two Mountain Giants on turn 4.

If that doesn’t scream “Powercreep”, I don’t know what does.

6 Likes

:loud_sound: ))) A reminder to everyone that Conjurer’s Calling is NOT the problem! The problem here is Mountain Giant!

If you want to nerf Conjurer’s Mage without touching Conjurer’s Calling, which I anyway think would be the best, then either 1. add a new 12 cost minion with terrible stats. That alone should make the deck’s winrates plummet.

Or 2. HoF Mountain Giant. This specific card, naturally, tends to be the core reason for people’s frustrations when their opponent gets to play one on turn 4 by drawing lots of cards one way or another. Mage and Warlock being the main classes utilizing Mountain Giant. Even Warlock did that in Year of the Raven and Plot Twist Warlock today. And you bet the upcoming Plot Twist Quest Warlock is going to abuse the heck out of it.

And it’s next to impossible to play around Mountain Giant since we have VERY limited amount of tools to use to mess around with our opponent’s hand, thankfully. At least with Sea Giant, even though I dislike that card, can be played around by controlling the board.

1 Like

While Hearthstone isn’t the most testing game as far as skill is concerned, Cyclone Mage is probably one of the more intensive meta decks in Standard now. Its winrate is generally lower the lower you go in Rank, but at higher ranks (especially Legend) and tournament play that subpar winrate skyrockets, suggesting that the deck becomes more potent in the hands of capable players.

More to the topic at hand, I think it’s important to point out that the situation OP described (that is, I’m assuming using Khadgar to generate a bunch of 8/8s on turn 4) is extremely unlikely. The CC player would have to go second, play Book of Specters on Turn 2, play an unanswered Giant turn 3, and subsequently Khadgar → Coin → CC on turn 4. This is an exceedingly exceptional highroll that requires a copy each of three separate cards in addition to a Legendary, three minion hits off of Book, and going second.

This is much easier to accomplish by turn 5 (T4 giant is easy enough and just Khadgar + CC on Turn 5) but still requires two cards, an unanswered T4 giant, and then Khadgar on T5. Unlikely as it is, it’s still a highrolling experience that contributes to the deck being unfun for other people and isn’t even necessarily the main avenue of victory for the deck. I wouldn’t be opposed to a nerf to 4 mana, though I suppose we’ll have to see if the deck needs one with the advent of Plague of Murlocs and whatever else comes with Saviors.

8 Likes

Actually answers are not rare at all.

Yeah the interaction is powerfull but HS removals are totally overturned.

1 Like

Overtuned compared to what? Magic: the Gathering has plenty of low-cost removal and easy counters to huge minions.

MTG has disruption and options to actually counter those spells.

When you can’t stop those spells from hit your minions they are overturned.

1 Like

Sure. But its the highroll mechanic I do not like about this interaction.

Does he played giant? Do I have removal?

8/8 on turn 4 isnt that huge deal because you can sometimes afford to face tank it and chip it down with lower dmg over 2 turns. IF its a mage you have to immediately remove it because it would usually lead to giant trade + CC (at worse scenario - khadgar + CC)

I am totally fine with 8/8 on turn 4

2 Likes

It is easier for you draw a answer than to opponent set up the combo.

And your answer uses less resources too.

So if its easier for me to draw an anwer and I havent draw it than its even worse rng heavy interaction than I have thought

If it’s a mage, sometimes it’s not just one 8/8 on turn 4. Sometimes it’s a Sorcerer’s Apprentice into a Mirror Image into a Magic Trick into Ray of Frost into Elemental Evocation into a Mana Cyclone on turn 2, followed by two 8/8s on turn 4.

Even a Control Warrior can’t realistically counter a massive play like that.

2 Likes

Welcome to card games.

It is all about adapt to what RNG gives us.