Twinspell mage full board of 8 cost minions turn 4?

Arena in Hearthstone is what should be played in tourns.

Why?

Skill, obvs.

Would your rather merch huntardo, fill my board/fill my hand murloc or vomitorium druid kill you from turn 4 to 7 instead?

I know its mostly about rng and how do you adapt to that rng. But some “power plays” should be reduced in power. Power play should give you advantage. Not to give you massive boost to win chance.

What’s the difference?

1 Like

As I said - the power of such turn.

Would CC be that swingy when used at turn 8+ ? Do not think so because there would be higher chance opponent would have a board to sacrifice, solid removals or being way ahead. It would still be insane power play but more likely to be answered.

The power of that “combo” is not by CC but by how early in game you can highroll it.

//On the other hand I still think CC was major fail from the team. Twinspell for 3 mana is huge value even when used on lets say 5 cost minions.

Giant is the problem. Or, to be more specific, lack of good early game printed is the problem. When The Winning Curve was to play 1-2-3, nobody played Giants, because if you tried to, you died; now you just ignore the board of low-attack dudes, because who cares?

Blizzard stopped printing good, proactive 2-drops that can be a standalone turn 2 play. The only recent one is Underbelly Angler (who might be an issue by himself, but it’s a different story), and guess what? It gives Mages problems, because they actually have to play cards to answer it.

So yeah, Mountaint Giant was fine in Hearthstone on release, but now it’s a completely different game. Early turns are very skippable - why care about development on T1 and T2, if you have the turn 3 power of Rogue, can play Mountain Giant or answer almost anything by T5.

What if powerplays actually add to the game more than they take?

Plan around they or know that you can’t and just try to end the game before is skill.
It is interactivity at it’s best.

Without powerplays that game would be about who curved best and involve far less skill than most players think.
That without say about it being far more boring.

Khadgar is probably a little to much at the mix and everyone can see a CC nerf but don’t act like powerplays are unhealthy for the game as they are.

Do or die situations are healthy despite of how bad they can feel.
How you actually distinguish good and bad players without they?

Without they what we gain is a game were nothing happens until you reach fatigue.
As a player I think those situations could start a little sooner at the game.

How does one get a “full board of 8 cost minions turn 4”, exactly?

Probably meant 8/8s, but…

Go second, Book of Spectres on turn 2 (hit optimal 3-draw), Mountain Giant turn 3, Khadgar > Coin > CC on turn 4.

2 Likes

Or:

Go second, Sorceror’s Apprentice on turn 2, play a bunch of spells, fill your hand with Elemental Evocation into Mana Cyclone, play Khadgar turn 3, then on turn 4, play Elemental Evocation > Mountain Giant > CC > Coin > CC.

Sure, if you want Khadgar to die. You’re forgetting his hidden battlecry of “put some removal in your opponent’s hand because KILL IT NOW!!:wink:

Khadgar is best played on the turn you plan on using CC.

1 Like

Well, it depends on the class matchup. Against say, a Hunter, their options are limited for answering Khadgar, especially if you already froze their minions with Ray of Frost and have Taunts from Mirror Image. Bomb Toss and Kill Command are the only answers they have in that scenario.

And in my experience, they have them when they need them lol. WAY too big of a gamble in those matchups to just throw Khadgar away.

1 Like

All I can say is thank God for freezing trap and stupid mages…

Too slow this morning to understand sarcasm. My bad.

An invitation to “suck it” when I stated Mountain Giant should have been HoF’d prior to Rise of Shadows even being announced, claiming it was very easy to “break it” with some massive resource generation and combo potential, and all the “pruos” started laughing at me.

He hee, why are you S 0 B A D, Blizz? You CAN HoF mid expansion, since you did it with the non problematic Mind Blast and Vanish, just do it again and move 4-5 Mana 8/8 to HoF already.

Because Mountain Giant is a balanced card on its own. If Blizzard were to HoF it, it would be yet another example of a balanced Classic card that got HoF’d because of an overpowered expansion card that happened to synergize with it. Just like how Wild Growth and Nourish were nerfed because of Ultimate Infestation.

1 Like

Honestly I would argue that Luna Stargazer is just as impactful if not more so than giants. Luna lets cyclone go through their whole deck just about with sorcerers apprentice out, allowing cyclone to consistently have answers for board states turn after turn, while also digging for win conditions and mana cyclones. Luna has won me so many games…