Thrall comes out tomorrow

Thrall’s Book of Heroes is out tomorrow! Get ready for a LOT of Doomhammer, I assume, and probably encounters vs. Jaina and Garrosh! (I know people have datamined it already but still excited to see the final product and if it ends up better than Valeera’s… please make it better than Valeera’s…)

2 Likes

For anyone fighting Jaina: don’t give up. The battle seems completely hopeless as she’ll continue wiping the floor with your monsters for 10+ turns over and over as well as severely damaging you, but eventually you’ll break through.

The final battle vs Garrosh on the other hand was a complete joke. After just a couple of turns he already had no more minions to play (his second HP fetches minions from the deck, giving confirmation when he hasn’t any left), and then you can literally just sit back and win without playing anything. Notetakers + plenty of AoE’s in your deck to clear his monsters to get to that point.

Yeah, Jaina was a problem (and the only boss I lost to, only losing once) until I managed to make a 10/10 of the frostwolf minion that gains +1/+1 for other friendly minions and gave it windfury… I guess this means that by definition, all of the bosses previously faced (such as Thrall in Jaina’s story or Thrall in Garrosh’s story) have similar difficulty levels from the other side, like being easy in Jaina’s story and difficult with Garrosh since Garrosh had a significantly worse deck than Jaina.

Yea. 22 tries, no can do. Always dead to an army of infinite elementals spawning from turn 6.

For me, the key to Deathwing was as simple as putting Nozdormu on the far left when you get him and building a board to use Hero Power. Nozdormu revives the turn after death, so he will always be there to block the next shot and is a powerful 8/8 you can give Windfury if he doesn’t die to the hero power. Also, note that (although it isn’t stated), when the dragon that revives you (can’t spell her name to save my life) goes dormant, it refreshes all of your revives, so you can die 3 times, make her go dormant, then revive another 3 times when she comes back. Furthermore, you can die by attacking into a minion with Doomhammer and still be revived if she can revive you again. Basically, use the dragons and try to give all minions windfury the turn before they can attack to threaten his face. Jaina, make sure to have a powerful minion on board on turn 10 as she is forced to spend all her mana to change her hero power at no risk to you that turn (unless something powerful was left on the board).

1 important thing of note: Deathwing ignores your minions and always goes face. So, Alex’s effect is guaranteed to save you no matter how many minions he has that can take her down. As long as you keep her as far right as possible, you can practically not lose.

Wait, what? Jaina never changed her Hero Power against me. However, starting from around turn 10 she did bug out in that about half the time a minion was frozen it didn’t show as frozen (but was still affected by it).

The frozen bug is a thing that’s been happening for a while. However, maybe the Hero Power never changed because you were always threatening enough lethal she didn’t want to change her hero power? In that case, try keeping a minion that doesn’t kill her in 1 hit on the board without wind fury when she gets to 10 mana and using your hero power the turn she switches hero powers to the iris. That way, you can still take advantage of the turn without worrying about her stopping lethal.

At turn 10, I was being completely dominated: I had still completely failed to keep a board (she kept killing everything, or freezing anything remaining to kill next turn) and I hadn’t even inflicted a single point of damage. It took me about another 5 turns or so before I finally stabilized for the first time that duel (but then it went fast with 3 Eye of the Storms (2 Discovered), 2 Stone Sentinels and other powerful Elementals, won with 5 cards left in my deck).

Just curious, what exactly is her other Hero Power? Even more powerful (or equal), or did I play Hard Mode?

Her hero power becomes Summoning Iris: 6 mana, “Summon a Water Elemental (improves each use)” or something like that. It doesn’t tell you how it improves, but it summons 1 more water elemental each time it’s used without telling you how many will be summoned each time. Pretty strong so you need to finish her off early after that.

That definitely would’ve made things easier: those first 3 turns (HP change, single Water Elemental that can’t do anything yet with only 4 mana left, can finally attack with the single Water Elemental which is no problem and the 2 newly spawned ones won’t do anything while also sapping Jaina’s mana) would’ve made one hell of a difference in that battle.

I have taken jaina deep into fatigue twice (she took 8 damage from the last card) and still can’t win this. I am not sure exactly what the deal is, but her hero powers are BS for real.

Also, idk what triggers her to switch powers.

In some games, both my fatigue games, she never switched. In others I get big pressure and she switches before turn ten. It’s odd.

The choices from the discovers are different each time, but the deck shuffles seems the same.

I don’t think it is supposed to be this difficult, but I am apparently missing something somewhere.

I’ve been thinking it over, and I realized something: I was unable to clear a Kirin Tor Tricaster for the vast majority of the game (it was literally on the field for more than 10 turns) because everything kept being frozen or killed. Her HP change is a 10 mana Spell, AKA it becomes 11 mana with Tricaster out.

I don’t know if this is the problem for you, maybe you always cleared the Tricaster without problem, but if that’s the case for you as well: find a way to clear the Tricaster ASAP.

1 Like

That would make sense, but I cleared the entire board multiple times.

The entire experience highlights how bad shaman is as a class, how unfair overload is, and how BS broken mage mana cheating/spell discover synergy is.

Just tried it again, it seems the key lies within the Walking Fountains. If you can keep one alive (usually through Healing Rain), you can use it for constant healing. The turn after she casts the 10 mana spell, use Eye of the Storm, then play more minions while making sure to using your Hero Power the turn after Eye of the Storm. That way, you can hopefully burst her down on the turn she doesn’t use Frost Nova.

EDIT: Just so y’all know, I was waiting to post this reply for when someone else replied since I can’t post twice in a row. Sometimes sucks, but I understand why the forum does this, I guess.

EDIT 2: If you guys want, I can try to genuinely fight Jaina and concede enough to make a semi-comprehensive guide on it since I have no reason to play other stuff now that I finished all the quests. Let me know if you want me to try this and/or if this basic part above helped you go further/win in the fight!

1 Like

And I usually just edit my post with the new information when I can’t post a reply to myself, lol.

Good to know!

I managed to finally knock it out, but not sure exactly what I did differently. Lol.

So I found something else that can help: keep Earth Shock (to go with t1 Earth Shock topdeck) to silence both Kirin Tor Elementals that double the spells before they can combo it with the +3 Spell Damage and Arcane Missiles for an easy board wipe and huge face damage as well as whatever else they can get.

Good to know about the edits, though; I did edit my above post but I’ll say it again, if you guys want me to make a website/new post that’s just a guide to Jaina for others struggling on this fight, I can grind that fight enough to do so or just post it in this thread if everyone wants it. Let me know if y’all need a guide or think others will want a guide or if you think these tips were enough!

1 Like

Hee hee, I got Jaina in one. :stuck_out_tongue:

It helped that I knocked out at least one Kirin Tor Elemental quickly, maybe two of them. I forget how, but Kirin Tor Tricaster was gone the turn after Jaina summoned it. I mostly tried to build a wide board, so something might actually survive that hero power and go face. Do not play your 2/2 minions as soon as you can. Save those for a big turn and hope that they draw fire from Jaina’s hero power. Then hopefully a better minion or two will survive unfrozen.

1 Like

Two thighs annoy me a lot in these solo adventures:

1. Way too much unskippable dialogue during fight and prefight. It doesnt even let me check what cards my deck has during prefight monologue.

2. Enemy going immune, turn changing, hero power changing at certain health ranges. You cant know when this happens and it makes fights ten times harder when there’s a surprise elements. You think you won by turning boss health zero but then there comes a new phase and you realize you dont have any board control.

1 Like

This was ultimately what I settled on.

I played mostly control for the first several turns until I had enough minions to get ahead of her hero power and then continued to stay there, and that was the key. Once you can get more minions than she can freeze, you can win the fight easily even when she changes hero power.

For me the frost wolf guys were important to have up where she couldn’t freeze them and their windfury was the deciding factor for an easy win.

Good god these mini stories TERRIBLE. The writing is trash. And before anyone goes “this is a children’s game” - the complaint is not with the content, it’s the writing. I’m not expecting sexual, excessive violence, or other mature themes. Just that it resembles something coherent with more depth than an episode of Power Rangers.

These “book of-” adventures…

WHY CAN’T THEY BE COMIC BOOK STRIPS??? Blizzard has some damn talented visual artists, put them to work !

1 Like