This game just isn't fun anymore

I’ve been playing for years, never seriously though… I’ve never made Legend or anything. I just enjoy the deck building and the competitiveness of it. And even when something was out of balance, I could always find a mode that would be just fun to play. But that’s no longer the case. Questlines have trashed standard and wild. It didn’t take long to show up in Duels either, and now that’s 90% of what you play against. Battlegrounds has become a race to tier 5 and 6, even more so than it was, with any balance tossed out the window as beasts and demons rule every game.

I’m not overly upset, I’m just bummed that I feel like I have to take a break from a game I’ve truly enjoyed for so long due to the state it’s in. :frowning:

14 Likes

Hello!

100% with you about Battlegrounds. The game is out balance with new cards for beast (T2, yeah a little t2 who cumulate again again and again…) and demon (t3 with vengeance+t5 taunt).

Game after game, beast and Demon dominate the battleground.

3 Likes

Not only is this a problem with design and functionality (or lack of). It’s a clear reflection of the HS player base. More specifically in reference to Casual mode and the lack of deck diversity.

When I see Warlock quest, Baku (anything), Mage quest in casual, I just concede and hope the next player has some originality and maybe has put a trickle of thought into their deck.

If you are going to play these boring 1, 2, 3 decks in casual, please for the rest of us, consider changing…I don’t know…4 cards.

The design team needs some incarnation reflecting “Oh My Yogg” class wide in minion form. Like a 0 or 1 cost, no attack minion that disrupts the quest, yes it’s a gamble if they have the coin or if you don’t mulligan it, but anything is better than watching my opponent play the exact same combo over and over, with no consequence. I’t infuriating and sad when trying to have fun in Casual.

4 Likes

Nerfs are incoming. Hopefully they help.

Narrator: They won’t. Until they get rid of questlines, it will be the same crap over and over and over again. They are massively broken and poorly designed. In short, who ever designed them shouldn’t work on this type of game ever again. They are so poorly implemented it is almost as if they asked some intern to throw darts at a board and was like “yea bro, nice job, have another beer! We will totally use that. Who is up for some more shots. dudes?!?!” Team 5 quite literally has no idea what they are doing or how to design a card game.

You can tell this by the fact we are now on round 3 of nerfs and they still haven’t hit the mark. They are also saying only one banned card for Warlock in Wild where one banned card isn’t going to solve the problem of the other 4 Quest Lines that are running Rampant. The whole process on their end to this point reeks of incompetence on a massive scale. The fact people are actually paid to fail this badly is absolutely astounding.

To further illustrate how terrible they are at their job, they included quests with absolutely no way to stop the quests from progressing, even for a turn. How do you design something in a card game with ZERO counter. My mind is absolutely boggled by this. Lets implement something so broken, people die consistently by turn 6 and leave no one any ability to counter it. Just… What???

7 Likes

Anymore ? Is not fun the past 2-3 years,now is in it worse state.Hearthstone had problems since day 1 but it was generally fun.All card games , physical or digital have broken mechanics at some points ,you cant avoid it but HS is beyond broken and unbalanced,right now is 80% luck .We made an experiment with some friends,playing matches without too much thinking,just cards you can play every turn.In meta decks we won most of times

1 Like

heartstone needs a weekly ban system base on most played cards during the previous week.

Iksar mentioned an idea about giving people bonus XP for playing specific classes for a week or so. It could help diversify the meta but a lot of people on the boards freaked out about it.

Cards are cards. There will always be meta and luck. Constructed play just has more pronounced versions of each and BG is unusually imbalanced. Imo as an old fart who played a few games professionally is that the more random the source of cards, the better. Modes like arena and BG go far to keep things fresh and though I dabble in each new constructed meta, I do so knowing it will feel grindy and stale at some point and then I enjoy the more random stuff to keep it fresh.

If the random stuff also feels repetitive, just take a break for a few months and sniff out a new set or the new mode.

No one is going to play crap classes because there is a small bonus. You are better off just playing a winning class, it will net you more in the end. It is a stupid idea, like most of his ideas.

Like I said, people freak out. :smiley:

1 Like

Luck isn’t a factor with weighted RNG. And before all the Blizzard fanboys out there jump in, Yes Blizzard uses weighted RNG in both matchmaking and card draw, and has admitted to it on numerous occasions. The reason the game feels so bad is because Blizzard purposely weights the RNG to give players that experience of the 1% win. We see this most obviously in Battlegrounds but it’s also quite obvious in Constructed.

1 Like

…im guessing some random guy told you he works at blizzard and said this and you believed him
dont trust everything people say

1 Like

No I read Blizzard patch reports where they say things like “We are adjusting the RNG of hero powers selected for Master Nuygen” or “We have adjusted the chances of this card appearing in the discover mechanic”. Blizzard uses RNG as a way to balance games and the fact you think RNG is actually random and not deterministic is hilarious. At least in their other games they are transparent enough to tell you the actual drop % or RNG weighting of certain events.

2 Likes

oh you found a pattern? go make a livestream predicting every single outcome
if isnt random you should be able to do it

Sorry it is not my job to teach you the difference between Random, Deterministic, and set outcomes when it comes to RNG programming. Seeing how your failed to learn this in High School, I would recommend watching a few videos on Skillshare for statistical programing in Slot Machines. Slot Machine Companies were the foundation for all RNG programming used in the modern video game industry. I will give you a short intro but it’s really something you should get at least a foundation in because Statistical RNG is involved in every aspect of life.

Human beings are phenomenal at pattern recognition. The first RNG chips were truly random, but very quickly the problem with true randomness became apparent. In true randomness if you flip a coin 1000 times, patterns will exist within the output. You can and will see heads 20+ times in a row because it’s random and statistically rare chances will occur given the test is replicated enough times. The problem is the Human brain can’t process true randomness, so our brain starts picking out the patterns and convincing ourselves “it’s rigged”.

So programmers quickly shifted to what is know as Deterministic RNG. Deterministic RNG weights the outcomes to ensure that there is “perceived randomness” but not actual randomness. As an example: When you program a dice roll program you don’t want the dice to roll 6 every time because then your players would say it’s rigged. So you add a modifier into the algorithm that says “Take the output of the previous roll and weight all other outcomes 20% higher”. So if you were to roll a 6, the program would favor roll anything other than a 6 on the next roll. Simplistically this is how video games achieve “perceived randomness” so as to avoid the human brain picking out patterns and not accepting the RNG.

The problem arises when you have so many RNG modifiers in your code, any mistake in the weighting can respond exponentially in changing the outcome of the roll. At the same time by having so many different weighted RNG rolls, you can actually remove randomness to the point where people can say 99/100 a Cleave minion will hit the bottom right minion in Battlegrounds. I use this example because the community has actual video of this exact thing happening in game after game after game. It’s literally a meme in the Battlegrounds Community.

So please do a little research, and educate yourself, before you go running your mouth about things you don’t know anything about. Blindly advocating for or against an issue, with no actual subject knowledge, really makes you look especially ignorant.

3 Likes

so cant be predicted

you dont have any proof and are telling me to believe you
just because you say so

sorry but that isnt enough to believe you

Reading is hard.

Your opinion is irrelevalant to the facts

I wasn’t seeking your approval so take your pathetic trolling somewhere else. Nobody wants to hear from the forum incel with 6900 trolling posts. Do you like live under Bobby’s Desk? :joy:

2 Likes

You’re not very bright.

1 Like

…now your opinions are facts seriously ?