This game has no class identities anymore

Look at your clueless self talking as if you know anything.

Not even gonna bother answering, because a man that truly believes that the AVERAGE game right now ends on Turn 10 has no real knowledge of this game.

You just live in your Hunter bubble and want to believe that every game for EVERY player ends on 10, well guess what … it’s not!

I am glad to see elementals coming back to mage.
'Bout time.

1 Like

And this is okay.

The entire idea of different classes is silly if you can’t mix they together in a deck.

To the point that we had a shadow priest in our raid who was names “battery” because that was their role.

There’s even a meme of the “mana mana” from the muppet show about shadow priests.

The disagree because they hate change.

They want everything to be static forever, and any deviation from their distorted recollections of hearthstone’s halcyon days of yore is evil.

1 Like

I don’t get why so many people are so irrational about this game. There are some good things and bad things. Class homogenization is a bad thing and it has happened. They have made it about entitlement and not about choices and consequences. If you choose a certain class it should come with advantages and disadvantages. If you choose a Mage you are supposed to be squishy. A Hunter with life steal is ridiculous. A mage with 40 armor is ridiculous. A warrior with fire spells is stupid. They have painted themselves into a huge corner with their power creep and busted cards and mechanics. Now they have to give classes access to all the things just so they stay somewhat relevant. What I find perplexing is how anyone can deny this or try retconning wow lore to fit the narrative. Its all shenanigans and if you like them cool. Just at least stop making things up to try and validate it.

5 Likes

No they just want things to retain some sort of identity. You cant have everything you want all the time.

That whole idea is based on what was and is arbitrary. They don’t want that arbitrary to change. Why is this the role and not that? Because that’s how it started. That’s the only reason.

If wow made mage tanks and spell based bosses, that would be new and interesting role for mage mains. That’s exactly the kind of design space the op doesn’t want: Change.

The classes don’t need identities, they need interesting decks.

So they have to do all these ridiculous things to keep people from getting bored? And a Mage tank is literally a trash idea. You cant take every classes weaknesses away. Maybe they should just remove class identity anyways. That way I dont have too look at some ridiculous Mage/warrior hybrid. Or a Life stealing robot wielding Hunter. Or whatever other shenanigans they come up with.

2 Likes

I would not have said it better had I written this.

2 Likes

lmao, mech mages were around since first ever expansion - GVG (well, second if you count Naxx)

1 Like

I know. I didn’t think they made sense then, either.

1 Like

Mechs are the worst design in Hearthstone. Don’t know who told them to bring them back, but they bring with them the most “dead” keywords.

Look at me, my 2/3 minion became an 8/8, wow what a great ability. Most boring thing ever. Also no Mage player, ever willingly wants to Play Mech Mage. Literal proof of the boredom the deck brings.

2 Likes

I never played WoW but to me was pretty clear Priest sonce the beggining of HS was the premier control class. Dunno about lore, blthe main point of Mallenroh still stands.

Mage is going to be op this expansion, I don’t think you’ll be complaining too much after the patch hits the servers.

Agrew with most of this, but power creep on CCGs is inevitable. I played MTG about 20 years ago and that was a game where OP things launched in the very first interwtion of the game, HS actually has a good track record on not power creeping too much, imo.

1 Like

I’ve been looking into this exact sentiment/issue in terms of what mechanics have appeared in each class over time.

The borders between class identities were in some ways more rigid in early days: i.e. Hunter, Mage, and Rogue got no healing, Druid got no hard removal without a drawback (Scale of Onyxia was a mistake). On the flip side, GvG gave almost all classes at least a few mechs. Early HS restricted classes to particular archetypes, you really couldn’t play control Hunter or control Rogue, nor could you play aggro Warrior (Worgen OTKs notwithstanding).

These days, each class has access to most of the basic card game mechanics: draw, removal, card generation, and defense/healing. This means each class can play a wider variety of archetypes. I think this is the developers’ intent.

It also seems they are more willing to print single cards into classes that would be considered outside their identity. Some of this is via multi-class cards which have given us Windfury in Druid and Paladin, Divine Shield in Death Knight and Warrior, and Lifesteal in Druid and Hunter for example. This is in stark contrast to Magic: the Gathering, whose hybrid cards do something that each color can already do (in most cases).

Overall I’d prefer stricter class identities, but I also appreciate that classes are able to explore different archetypes.

1 Like

Oh hey, another “old man yelling at clouds” thread from our favorite Antonidas portrait. Why not just bump one of the other 40 or so threads with this exact OP that already exist in the archives…?

1 Like

This misses the point. I don’t care if mage is OP.
I want it playable, but mostly I want clear, defined strengths and weaknesses like the game used to have.
Maximizing those strengths, and minimizing the weaknesses are what is the real challenge, and for me, the main part of fun.

I don’t think I am complaining when it’s clear that class roles may as well not exist anymore.
In order to make up for power creep, every class has been given everything.

I agree, and I say We have explored enough. Bring Class Identities back.

1 Like

Nah.
The second most dead keyword.

Nothing is more dead than inspire.

And that because we are only talking about formal keywords. Otherwise…
Anyone still remember that joust exists?

Ageist remarks from you? Color me surprised.

TGT was so lame.