Third Wing Heroic -- A bit too hard?

I beat the first two chapters on heroic on my second try each. But I don’t see myself playing this one again for enjoyment, as the difficulty seems way steeper.

This time, I was getting brutalized, even losing to the 2nd boss once. Some of the most insanely degenerate bosses at the final 3 stages (resurrect priest, large beast rush/recruit hunter), and Gepetto final boss who will murder you if he top-decks the correct minions, regardless of how good your deck is.

I finally beat it (81 bosses defeated total among the other classes, I had to switch to mage eventually and ended with 63 bosses 1 completed run).

My strategy was Mage: Freeze hero power (best one since the board will hold fewer minions, allowing you to lock up a high quality one).
Starting decks are generally irrelevant, but I went with the original one since it is a little bit more defensive, letting you stabilize the early rounds while you still lack a defined deck… 2 decent discover cards, poly, and a taunt/heal.

If you’re having trouble, what finally won it for me was loading up on small damage spells. Getting Malygos, and using the treasure that turns all of my minions into malygos (permanently for the remainder of the runs).

My first passive was random dice (letting me play at least one malygos per turn), and the other one was a dud (+1/+1 minions, which isn’t terrible but not great).

My tavern visits ended up sucking, and thinning really didn’t do much when my strategy revolved around half of my cards being malygos and the other half being spells/discovers.

Even with this ridiculousness, this run pushed me to the limit (almost losing my run in each of the last 3 battles to outrageous stuff from the computer).

Curious how you guys beat it? So far I’ve been using Rakanishu for all of the heroic wings.

4 Likes

I haven’t beat it yet. I agree that the difficulty ramped up quickly for it. The problem is, there’s damn near zero taunt minions per bucket. And the only one so far I’ve seen riddled with them is priest deathrattle which is alright but the priest feels so disturbingly awful to play. My issue now is do I contuinally concede until I get decent passives? Your minions have permanent stealth is so cancerous.

3 Likes

I agree that it’s the most difficult chapter as well. First two chapters I had one shotted with shaman, here I had 5 runs, 3 with hunter 2 with priest failing at the last boss (which 4/5 times was Jepetto). Afterwards I switched to mage to start unlocking things there too and I managed to beat Jepetto with the starting deck and hero power.

What worked for me was captured flag (+1/+1 to minions) and potion of vitality (double health). Double health is really much better than it seems, and I think that if I had it in some of my earlier runs they might have also ended in success. Jepetto starts with 3 mana more than you and his hero power summoning random highmanes, ragnaros, lich king, etc, even as 1/1s it is probably worth around 4 mana of tempo. So early game you’re playing with around 7 mana worth of tempo disadvantage and having extra time to stabilize can be a real life saver.

As for the rest of the deck I tailored it to my other passive. It was full of 2-5 mainly mana cards, mainly 2 drops to get on the board early, 4 drops for the midrange bodies, some shredders for the stickiness, cheap removal with spells and the 3 mana 4/4 kobold and reload in the form of ravens and the 3 mana 2/5 stealth kobold that steals a card.
My only card that cost over 6 was power of creation but I still managed to deck him out and win in fatigue.

I have played the old adventures in heroic too so the difficulty didn’t really bother me, but I still felt that this was the worst chapter of the adventure by far. My main gripe is that while it’s fair, it limits archetypes. For instance in my first heroic with shaman, when I saw I couldn’t make a midrange deck I switched to a flood deck when I found the improved hero power passive as well as a bunch flametongues/primalfin totems. In this chapter I wouldn’t be able to do anything like that and I’d have to stick with either midrange or big shaman whether the picks were pointing me to that direction or not. Even in normal mode where I beat it easily, having to pass the turn while I hadn’t developed a really big board felt suffocating and unfun.

1 Like

This wing on heroic mode is really hard. Jeppeto seems unbeatable to me right now, since he kicked my butt too many times so far.

If anybody completed this chapter (on heroic mode), I would appreciate if he share with us how he did it.

P.S. Maybe he revenges me, because I have it golden, but I do not play him.

I got to the discard chick, absolutely unfair.

0 mana, discard a card, summon random minion of the mana cost of discarded card…

didn’t sound that bad, but its horrible,
on turn 1 boss got like a free giant taunt, etc.

Mid/late bosses are challenging but fine. What’s not fun are the first two or three bosses who have absurdly strong decks when you’ve barely started to craft yours. Applebough, particularly, is broken.

6 Likes

Yes, she is strong too.

I just beat her, luckily with 2 “The Muscle” guys in the opening hand. Now I need to face again with Jeppeto, hope I will be winner this time.

There is also one more strong 7th boss. He shuffles 3 treasures. In that run, I had the best control priest I have ever had, my was super powerful. And then I faced against this guy. His turns was 2 minutes long, believe me, I didnt see nothing like that before (from CPU of course). Hope you wont experience that. :slight_smile:

Okay. Its time to beat Pinokios father.

EDIT: FINALLY!

Yogg from Bartender Bob saved me! An epic battle!

I agree, this encounter is ridiculously hard since your deck has very few big minions that can survive more than 1-2 times through his hero power.

4 Likes

Also agree about Applebough. It wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t the 2nd boss, but as the 2nd boss, he can go living roots turn 1, living roots + mark of the lotus turn 2, and then you’re basically dead because you only have like 15 HP, and you can’t play any cheap minions to defend or his Hero Power will just kill them. As the 2nd boss you also don’t really have much of a chance to add to your deck to prepare for him either.

4 Likes

This is why I believe some of the first bosses are the absolute hardest.

Linzi can summon a 12/12 Edwin on turn 2 that no deck can deal with.
Carousel has all the advantage of attacking and then using the HP so they can set up any scenario they want to avoid you from having any minion. Your early deck has no AOE or ways to deal with the rotations.

It’s just really crappy how some of these beginning bosses work on Heroic.

3 Likes

134 bosses beat and still counting.
It is virtually a RNG spin machine. I mean, it requires both rng in selecting rewards and cards, plus rng in the opening hand facing against the final boss. Worst yet, NPC always has the perfect RNG (rag, sylvannas steal etc.).
It is quite brutal.

I always manage to get to at least the 6th boss but then the deck/ rng just falls behind.

2 Likes

The card choices being random are only a problem if you’re trying to build a Constructed deck.

Don’t build a Constructed deck for solo content. You don’t need one and it’s never a good idea to try. Just build a good deck from your choices

I don’t quite remember what my decks had in them but for Rogue I had to go with the Kingsbane deck since minions were not working out for me (Especially against that Priest boss).

For Shaman I went big minions, along with the anomaly that gave me treasure if I played an 8 drop of higher. Picked the deck that has life drinker in it (the name escapes me, sorry) and the draw hero power. Made sure to pick that treasure weapon that has poison to have that clear until i can get to drop the big stuff.

Hunter I again used anomaly mode, reduce all spells by 2. Naturally picked the deck with lock n load. Picked spell damage treasure as my first pick and picked any bucket that had to do with spells. When the Inn came around I got rid of as many minions as I could since I had picked up the weapon that fills your hands with spells if you had no minions in deck. Had some close calls early in the run but towards the end it was a breeze to control the board with the sheer amount of spells and just burst down the opponent.

I beat it once as Shaman. Honestly can’t remember my choices but I’m pretty sure I got the busted ‘your cards cost half mana’ treasure that usually makes it a cakewalk. Tried a dozen other time with various classes and usually ended up losing to Applebough or other early cheese due to lack of decent deck strength after only one or two bosses. I’ve given up for now and gone back to trying to beat the earlier two wings with various class/power/deck combos.

110% agree.

For some reason the third wing Heroic is where the adventure goes downhill. Suddenly the third boss might have a well balanced deck with a hero power “give a minion mega windfury” … yeah sure, well balanced …

3 Likes

I think what annoys me most about the new adventure is that it’s almost purely RNG. Like my choices don’t seem to matter as much as whether I got the easy boss or the Broken OP Treasure (Robes of Gauding makes it almost boring to play).

1 Like

Yeah, beating my head against the wall on here too. The ONLY reason to continue here right now is all the changes happening in ranked with buffs/nerfs.

I like the meta to settle down a bit before diving back into it so that gives me time to play this broken pos.

Then again, it’s given me more time to watch a lot more Role Play GTA V on Twitch too…

Priest is such a frustrating class to use in heroic. Most of the buckets are absolute garbage and don’t synergize with your passives at all. And your early game is almost nonexistent; if you run into the ridiculous stuff that some bosses pull early on (Looking at you, Turn 1 Ragnaros), it’s an auto-loss.

All heroic bosses ideally really need to be looked at again. The changes that they did last week (whatever that was) did not do anything meaningful, at least not in my own experience. While I have defeated the heroic mode, I must say that skill has little bearing as opposed to luck to complete the adventure.

Some bosses are just outright impossible to defeat due to their OP hero power directly countering treasures/passives you obtained along the way. And since the run ends with just 1 loss, no doubt you want to get the best of the treasure to even stand a chance to complete it (chance being the keyword).

The beginning bosses are also OP with Linzi being the main culprit. With your starting deck, sometimes there is absolutely no way for you to win unless by luck. This is really bad design when you can lose from round 1 purely because there is nothing you can do about it with your terrible starting deck and their decks contain premium cards.

After playing it for couple of weeks, the adventure mode is basically the same as the others in the past. You pick the broken OP treasures and cards while hoping you get offered buckets that have synergy with your deck, and for the last 2 bosses, pray to RNG that they draw bad and make bad play due to their terrible mana cheating system.

The only thing that sticks out is Bartender Bob, since you can edit your deck (although it’s still RNG).

I hate this Chapter on Heroic…I beat the first 2 Heroic Wings without a hitch…then,this one always 5/8, 6/8, 7/8. Somehow I never get good Treasures, syngery or the Bosses cheat out BS…Toomba getting 3 Treasures every turn is just balls…

1 Like