The most useless button in all of Hearthstone

Change my mind.

9 Likes

I would propose the app/program itself, sweet cupcake.

For if it didn’t exist, we’d all bask in the glory of the sun once again.

It is imposhibibble.

Couldn’t agree more. Why put a reconnect button that makes you wait a couple of seconds then almost always puts you to another disconnected page telling you to restart your hearthstone client or app. Especially when this particular thing happens during a critical turn where you have to plan out to clear the board. The worst part is it reconnects you at the very end of your rope after restarting.

My only suggestion is just restarting the app without going through the hassle. It saves you a bit more time hopefully giving you time to do things if you’re quick enough.

1 Like

why would a reconnect button be useless
closing the game and starting it again takes longer

Because the button has never, not once, ever worked for me and it’s been an on going meme button for tons of people. I don’t know why it doesn’t work. I strictly play on PC, so perhaps it works on mobile? I dunno.

4 Likes

I used to play on my phone a lot, but at this point I don’t even want to try because it disconnects so much. I mostly play on tablet now.

So the way it works on mobile is: if you don’t want to restart the client, you press the reconnect button until the “offline” icon disappears, then you click cancel. Then it pops up a second time, and you hit reconnect and it works. If you don’t hit cancel it’ll eat up an extra two minutes of your time for no reason. Even with this method it’ll take at least fifteen seconds.

It’s extraordinarily lame.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. On PC, you can click Reconnect and it will spin forever. Eventually, it will tell you it couldn’t connect and that something is “wrong” with your internet.

On the other hand, if you never click Reconnect and just click cancel instead, you have about a 50/50 chance that the cancel button automatically reconnects you.

If that doesn’t work, you have to close the client and open it back up.

The Cancel button is really the Reconnect button and the Reconnect button may as well be the Cancel button.

1 Like

If your phone’s network card isn’t connecting on 5ghz you might as well forget trying. These days almost all Android phones can do the 5ghz and the 2.4Ghz but the cheaper models a couple years ago would frequently be 2.4 only.

Theoretically 2.4ghz should actually be better for HS (not a lot of speed needed, 2.4 has better range) but they probably spend less time debugging 2.4 because it’s for peasants like us. Or at least it was.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Next time I fire it up on my phone I’ll try to see if the 5ghz runs better. I usually run 2 or on mobile data.
I assume you were referring to wifi connection am I correct?

Yes. Although from what I know of wifi, what I said makes zero technical sense. As in, that sort of stuff should be handled by the operating system not the HS client. But it’s what I tried changing, and it works for me. Maybe I’m being superstitious like that guy who changes decks to “get around the rigging.” I don’t know.

All I know for sure is client netcode is persnickety garbage.

1 Like

Either the phone hardware can connect to 5ghz or it can’t. If it can, it most likely can connect to both that and 2.4Ghz. Most wifi routers broadcast both frequencies (5/2.4) simultaneously, by which I mean I’ve literally never heard of one that doesn’t and my job is internet tech support call center. Sometimes there’s a separate wifi network name for each frequency, sometimes they’re combined into one network name. If it’s combined into one that means your router will try to choose the “best” one for your device, and I don’t trust any router not to be garbage at this so make the names separate in your router configuration.

The advantage of 5ghz is that it has much faster speeds. Like triple. This should be your default.

The advantage of 2.4ghz is it has slightly better range, and it’s an older tech so some devices can’t connect to 5ghz. This is particularly true of even new smart doorbells, smart lights, etc because the corpos who put the network cards in those things are cheap. TL;DR: still useful in niche situations, but not the default.

1 Like

Yea my brain isn’t working at the moment I dunno what I was going on about. I edited it out for the sake of not filling the thread with nonsense lol.

Thought this would be about ‘Squelch’ button.

This never worked for me until about 2 months ago, when all of a sudden and since, it reconnects me in a few seconds.

Nice to see that I ain’t the only one who never is able to reconnect! I play on a phone though, but excact same issue!

I play on PC and always have to press it twice. Then most of the time, I am reconnected.

You know what also sucks? You start a game of Battlegrounds and then the jackpot scene keeps rolling and rolling and rolling. Then when you finally disconnect and restart the game, suddenly you realize the game has already started while you were waiting. And you’re in turn two or three without having done a thing yet.

Happened to me a couple of times.

2 Likes

Other than the mage select button when building a deck, I would agree with you.

It works okay on mobile (Android) as of like, 3-4 months ago. Before then yeah, it was a complete joke.