The Grind to Legend

Is what makes me dislike this game. I’ve come to realize that playing just a few games a day (like 10 at most), my own homebrew decks, single player content, etc. Playing tons of games and trying grind my way to legend is stressful, infuriating, repetitive, you name it. While I do enjoy watching streamers play every now and then, I can see how they get completely burnt out then hate the game; obviously this goes for anyone else who plays a lot and doesn’t stream.

I’ve made my peace, and from here on out am just a happy casual who enjoys the game. Except big priest.

3 Likes

You know, noone is obligated to grind to legend. It’s just a choice.

And if these streamers got burnt out and hate the game but still play it, joke’s on them.

7 Likes

That is the point of legend, to obtain and achieve something the general population can’t get. Like any of ladder based pvp game. “Highest tier” bracket is not a given success it is a earned success. Tell me why do you want legend so bad?

Agree with you on this.

I only do the legend climb when I’m enjoying the deck I’m playing and have the motivation to do so. In no way would I ever want to force myself to climb in this (or really any) game.

If deck + motivation is there, like it was this month, awesome I’ll hit legend. If not, awesome, I’ll be at worst rank 5 for the reward.

4 Likes

Same here!

This was the first month in wild that I grind to legend, only because I create super fun deck deck and I had a motivation to test it how long I can get with it. And also, since I am playing wild mode only few months to hit legend for the first time (I always satisfy with rank 5 at least).

Same for standard, I hit legend only once, and after that did not have motivation to grind, because I barely play meta decks, and if you want to hit legend with non meta or home brew decks that requires a lot of skill, luck and games. I am not here to try hard, I am here to enjoy and have fun.

Made Legend last night with a deck that uses Rin and Elysiana. Pretty off meta for wild I think. Matter of fact, I had better luck with this deck than I have ever had net-decking.

2 Likes

i don’t get why people call it a grind, killing thousands of npc to get 0.1%xp in a mmorpg is a grind (then you lose 2 or 3% in one death xD), something which can be achieved within 30-40 games is not

Best advice is not to bother, unless you legitimately enjoy it.

There’s little point in “tilt avoidance” techniques and handling rng frustration when you could simply go and do something you enjoy instead. If you aren’t having fun, why do it?

There is very little prestige to legend too nowadays, unless you got there with an off-meta deck. No one will really care if you took a tier 1 (or even tier 2-3) deck to legend, even if it actually did take a lot of effort and focus. They’d be far more interested in a new build or something that stands out.

1 Like

Some people enjoy the climb. I am more in your vein though. I find the climb to be tedious, and worst of all there is no real return for it. I can crank myself to Rank 15 in very short order and get the free Golden Rare without any real stress or effort. Getting to Legend requires exponentially more time … and all you get is a golden Epic for the trouble.

I have managed to enjoy Hearthstone for 5 years now by knowing my limits. If I had to force myself to grind to Legend then I know I would burn out on the game very quickly. I get that there are those who are enjoy that sort of thing. But it’s just not for me.

1 Like

It takes at least 25 games to climb from rank 5 to legend.
If you have an 80% win rate, it will take 45 games.
If you have a 60% win rate, it will take 125 games.
If you have a 55% win rate, it will take 241 games.

It’s only not a grind if you are far better than other rank 5-rank 1 players. Your 30-40 game estimate is not possible for most players trying to get to legend.

I’m sure it’s probably an unpopular opinion, but there’s really not much point to getting legend outside of being able to say you got legend. Only staying in legend bracket for a month makes it feel like an unfun repeat grind. The only real benefit is you can play weird decks and not really care about your rank since you won’t rank out of legend. Really wish the ladder lasted longer than a month, maybe it would feel more worthwhile then.

4 Likes

After getting legend once ages ago I didn’t bother with it for like 3 years and I never missed it. Only recently I started playing a bit more seriously.

The good thing about getting legend is that the higher rating you have the better opponents you will see. (not always but in general). When you are competitive then you will want to play against the best opponents but when you are not all that serious about the game there is little point in getting legend. Getting legend is also difficult when you play casual,you do need to put in quiet a lot of hours.

+you already get the epic at rank 5, getting to legend is for the fun of playing vs better players and not for 500 dust, i think

0.3 per cent of all road accidents in Canada involve a moose
40 per cent of women have hurled footwear at a man
50 per cent of bank robberies take place on Fridays
i, too, can post useless stats, play the game instead of posting useless stuff, you’ll see it doesn’t take that many games

Just because you think Legend is easy, that doesn’t mean it’s easy for everyone. Sure, if you’re a highly skilled hardcore veteran player, Legend can be easy but for your average hs pleb, Legend is a big deal and very difficult.

Also saying it’s achievable in 30-40 games is laughable. Mathematically speaking, for someone reaching Legend in 30 games, that means someone is going negative.

As someone who has achieved legend a few times, let me explain something.

It is pointless. It is indicative of nothing. Unless you have a homebrew deck you used to do it, it is no way representative of skill. The first time I got to legend, I used Big Priest when it was in standard. That deck was broken as hell. I went from 4-legend and only lost two games, to OTHER big priests.

Getting legend is only proof of two things:

1. You can pilot a Tier 1 deck competently enough to have a better than 50% winrate

2. You have a ridiculous amount of time with nothing better to do than grind hearthstone

Legend is Hearthstone’s answer to "we need to legitimize our system by having an “I’m better than you” achievement. It’s pointless. It’s a way to make you feel like you need to be trying to achieve something. The same way that you can’t get a golden hero portrait in casual, so it drives you to this PoS ladder system.

It rewards one of the lamest card backs in the game, the dust difference for end of month rewards for legend vs. rank 5 is like 40 dust or something stupid…

There’s just no point. If you put ANY thought into the ladder or legend as a concept, congratulations, you’ve already put more thought into it than Blizzard.

3 Likes

Guessing from this you are probably one of those people who also would say the standard card back is lame?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Compared to the card backs that have come out over the last few years that are far more intricate and interesting, and you can get them for nothing other than winning 5 games in a month? Yeah, the legend cardback feels like slap in the face.

I think updating it to have that expansion’s watermark “engraved” into it would at least give the cardback some relevant flavor.

Giving out sweet monthly cardbacks while never updating the one for legend does seem kinda silly.

1 Like

Unless you plan to become a pro and are willing to grind to top 10 legend there’s ZERO reason to even worry about ladder.

At least up to 5 you get a reward worth a decent little chunk of dust. If you’re looking for a fun variety of matches though, the grind to legend is definitely pretty pointless beyond the feeling of “yay I didt it!”. That’s not to discount the acheivement for those who really want it, but for many players like myself, the general monotony of the grind simply isn’t worth it.

1 Like