Temporary splish splash ban

I wish Marin had been the banned card.

3 Likes

It is way too good. Pretty tired of neutral cards that can single handedly win games.

2 Likes

The annoying thing is that it single handedly wins games in the worst way: pure random chance.

Top 3 cards high cost? GG you probably win.
If not, maybe your pile of random legendaries gets you there.

When cards that rely on pure random chance like that are strong, it’s just a terrible game experience.

2 Likes

I love how you say I have no idea what I am talking about and then you repeat my point that MTG:O and MTG: A failed because they are terrible to watch. You can make that %$^* up.

You accused Moondance of not having any stats and then you claim MtG lost players. How did you deduce that? Did you make reasearch? Because it looks like a number pulled out of… nothing. And even if that was true it doesn’t matter, Tales from Middle-Earth was second best selling set in history only behind Horizons 2 so financially, even I hate Fortnitification of MtG, they are doing fine, especially when you consider that MtG is 30 years old. You think HS will be here in 20 years?

Lol, that’s like saying comparing football (that’s soccer for those beyond the pond) to hockey is stupid because football is the most popular sport in the world. Yes, it is and hockey lacks what made football so popular same as Hearthstone lacks what made DotA or LoL top dogs. And that was my argument.

It’s also hilarious that you say that MtG is dying but you say that LoR and HS are successful. So let’s see:

HS 2023 World Championship prize pool - $350,000
LoR 2023 World Championship prize pool - $144,000
MtG 2023 World Championships prize pool - $1,000,000

Speaks for itself. Legends of Runeterra is so successful as esport that… they will have no World Championships this year. That sort of success, I understand you are impressed.

The point about selling MTG cards is only making my argument. First of all, saying that it’s a main reason that people are playing is just conjecture because there is no data on that. Second of all, yes, cards from MtG are selling well because people are invested in MtG. It is something MtG has over all digital CCGs: you can make back your money if you are a shrewd seller/buyer, with digital CCGs the only one that makes money is the company.

The last point, before I end this discussion, the reasons game becomes popular or not are complex but it’s undeniable that MtG as an esport is not. It was made as a TT CCG and there is no way to make it true to the original and exciting to watch so it will always struggle. HOWEVER, after 30 years in the bussiness the game is still the biggest competitive CCG in the world. To compare, HS only 10 years after initial release is dying. I am not saying that it’s going to die anytime soon but the signs are there: the game is failing as an esport: the numbers of viewers has been steadily declining, Blizzard keeps cutting the developer count and kills modes left and right (Mercenaries, Classic, Duels), the tournament prize pool was cut down last year. So yeah, if you think HS is such a successful esports come to me in 10 years and let’s check :wink:

Arena used to be only on WOTC’s personal client, but the game lost so many players that it had to be put on STEAM for visibility. IDK why you think that Arena’s playerbase is still high when steam charts show that it is around 5K players.

Why are referring to 2023 MTG World Championship? The 2024 MTG Championship has a prize pool of $250,000, which is less than Hearthstone. For that matter, how did the prize pool get slashed by a quarter in less than a year? Surely it can’t be that MTG is a terrible ESPORTS. And even then, you are comparing the combined physical TCG with Arena invites, which means that Arena doesn’t even have an ESPORTS that can stand on its own leg…but we knew that already given that an Arena ESPORTS died 2 times within a span of 5 years not to mention the content creator program dying.

I never said that LoR had a bigger ESPORTs. I said that LoR managed to get a good share of the current card game marketshare. LoR has more players than Arena, and in general LoR has higher streaming time on twitch and better player reviews than Arena. LoR doesn’t have an ESPORTS because the developers can’t find a way to monetize the game because the rewards are far too generous. Arena has the opposite where players stopped playing Arena because the economy increasingly became more stifling and predatory.

MTG Arena is indeed doing poorly. Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming for the last 4 quarterly reports, WOTC has their weird pendulum of having net revenue losses, followed by gains, followed by losses, etc. Arena was a massive cashcow for WOTC for 3-4 years, but they killed the game so now the MTG brand has to stand on it’s own laurels.

If HS is dying, then clearly Arena must already be dead. When HS does so poorly that it has to go to STEAM, then we will have to have that discussion, but this isn’t the case. IDK why Blizzard refuses to develop HS into the cornerstone of ESPORTS in the card game sector, but even at its worst its still doing better than MTG as an ESPORTS. Let that sink in; a game like HS that is nowhere near reaching its potential is doing better than Arena which has been around for nearly half of HS’ time and already had a colossal fan base from the TCG.

2 Likes

We all wish it would have been hit but we also all know that is never going to happen.

1 Like

good i m haaving so much fun with this

and splish splash has the highest mulligan winrate of the entire deck

so is a win win

I saw they banned the whelp card, but why didn’t they do something about paladin?

Vicious Syndicate says Handbuff Paladin is T1 outside of top legend, but Dragon Druid was one of the only decks to have a positive average win against it.

Full disclosure: I am playing the Vicious Syndicate list and it feels nearly as strong as pre-nerfs Quest Pirate Warrior.

It has so many different ways to kill you. It took me a couple games to spot the stuff, but now it’s almost comical all the different killing scenarios you can make with it.

I am off for the day and have gone 18-5 with it just today, including currently on a ten game win streak in diamond. The odd part is I have only seen one mirror match and two paladins total.

Second question: Is pirate rogue a thing in standard? I have seen two today and wondered if they were bots based on play pattern and how odd it was to randomly see a pirate rogue in standard.

If it’s banned why did I just have someone use it against me in standard?

Banned from being included in decks, not from being discovered (or randomly generated).

Splishy died so Handbuff Paladin could destroy my soul.

Every game against it is exactly the same. That doesn’t generate a hell of a lot of fun.

druid had almost 40% WR and a 58% WR, which meant it not only had a positive winrate against paladin, it basically beat anything that wasn’t druid (since druid v druid winrate is 50%, that’s just math)

Handbuff Paladin is strong but vulnerable to two things, early tempo and weapon destruction. Fortunately for paladin players, the other popular Paladin archetype (flood) does not care about either of those things, so its a a fifty/fifty coinflip of whether to keep control tools to beat Flood or anti-Handbuff cards to beat handbuff.

It’s very cheap and its’ an aggro deck, so it’ll get played. No, its’ not very good. Excavate or Cove Mech are strictly better.

1 Like

He’s the new shiny promo card, so banning just wouldnt happen regardless.
Even if was in evry single deck/class causing giant balance issues

Sure but it is a 7 mana card.

At that cost it really is when things should start to end regardless.

How things end are equally important as when.

Sure, 7+ cost cards should help games end.

They shouldn’t be doing effects that randomly high roll to uncounterable wins.

1 Like

You would say that even for 10 mana conditional cards.

Also hearthstone is built on randoness. The power of a card will vary from situation to situation.
Making the highroll not possible means the lowroll will be even worse.

Marin is not my favorite card but if we look on it from outside it really isn’t even near the worse thing that could happen.

basically 10 mana draw 3 cards that cost 0. We can live with that.

1 Like

Cards in general should be less swingy and more predictable.

That’s why the meta has progressively gotten worse as those kinds of swingy and random cards have become the main focus of the game.

2 Likes

Sure.

When we announce a entire patch to do that for the whole game i promise to not criticize it.

While that isn’t the standard people should just stop being the fun police.
Try to get that type of change card by card does not work and only gets everything worse.

We get less game balancing because a card is made weaker than it should on purpose.
We get less decks to play.
And it even interfere with the design of new cards making things that would be actually fun not exist because it would trigger someone.

I’d much prefer them to do sweeping adjustments across the board.

Sure because you do not give a damm for the game overall and do things half assed is the less resistance path.

Here is something for you to have in mind:
Form isn’t only important when you don’t like some card in the game.

Devs either in fact adopt something or we all(including players) are better not even caring about it.

The mid path for this is just a never ending slippery slope and you know it.