Suspend people using Ranked decks in Casual

What’s the point of Casual if the same toxic decks get spammed?
Suspend the players using Ranked decks or don’t give them any gold for their wins.
I don’t play Ranked because I want variety, over the past few months it’s always the same copypasted T1 net decks in Casual.

Suspend them or don’t let them earn gold in Casual.

5 Likes

you should play against the innkeeper. he only plays casual decks.

21 Likes

Yeah, suspend anyone trying to complete quests. If you’re ranking up with control Warrior but get a quest to play a mage you should be forced to play that Mage in ranked and tank your rank that you’ve achieved with Warrior because people like you are inconvenienced.

Or if you’ve played control Warrior for so long and you just got the dust to make a Tempo Rogue deck, you should be forced to play ranked and learn how to play the deck there and tank your rank because people like you are minorly inconvenienced.

What a joke of a suggestion.

16 Likes

If you’re playing Casual, then it’s definitely not a Ranked deck.

Problem solved! Please pay the receptionist on your way out.

NEXT!

17 Likes

They could fix casual overnight if they changed it to 8 gold per 3 wins then all the ppl with ranked decks just goto ranked for the 10 gold per 3 wins.

3 Likes

And how do you decide what is or isn’t a ranked deck? Within how many cards of full completion (and of which half a dozen variants) must a “casual” deck be of it’s “ranked” counterpart to no longer be counted as such?

12 Likes

Wardrum outlines the issue here. It is virtually impossible to define what is or isn’t a “Ranked” deck because the contents and composition of decks are variables. Even the semi-official deck lists that exist for specific decks change on a week to week basis.

So someone would have to programmatically define what the exact composition of a “Ranked” deck is, and would have to also update and maintain that list on a day to day basis.

Even if a person or team was able to do this successfully (which I doubt they could), such programmatically defined decks could be easily circumvented with very minor amounts of card substitution. Then the programmers would be caught up in an endless battle of compensating for variants of Ranked decks that contained just enough minor replacements to escape the matrix.

No - it would not be worth the time or effort to perform such an attempt … even if the very concept of it wasn’t offensive in its own right.

1 Like

How to fix problem of Queueing into deck you don’t want to play against in casual:

Step 1 - press concede button
Step 2- press play button to queue into new opponent

• is opponent playing a deck that is acceptable to you?
  • If “yes”, play game.
  • If “no”, return to Step 1.
6 Likes

Just give us a class/card ban in casual and remove one of the two gold gaining avenues. Bet it’d help with the player base population as well, banning Leeroy alone would save you from a lot of the face decks that are too scared to farm gold in ranked. Making us concede through the matchups that just aren’t fun, not due to inability to win but cause we’re tired of combo priest/control warrior/etc, is tedious at best AND inadvertently rewards the other player for taking a highly tuned deck into a more relaxed space.

Its talked about a lot how Hearthstone does and doesn’t lean into its digital format enough. It does in regards to the shenanigans (like discover), but it doesn’t with QoL stuff that exists in meat space. If I bring a magic deck to a hobby shop and want to just have fun on whatever their magic night is, I’m going to ask around what color decks other people brought. I am not going to play against reds. I will if I’m in a tourney or something (i.e. ranked) but why sit down and shuffle the cards in front of someone I’m going to immediately get annoyed with? Just let us do that in casual; plus it’d have the unintended bonus of letting the folks who honestly do want to try out tier 1/2 decks in casual to actually go against others doing the same.

2 Likes

Or you know you could play an off meta mage deck. I play quest mage for it.

LoL at the “learn to play the deck” because unless you’re utter garbage at this game, you should be able to pick up any deck that you went out of your way to make and know how to use it.

3 Likes

You severely overestimate the understanding of CCG fundamentals possessed by the average Hearthstone player.

6 Likes

Am I the only one who feels bad slaughtering experimental decks with my meta deck in casual :v? Sorry, I didn’t have other option :'v

2 Likes

Personal pick & ban lists in Hearthstone would simply result in the same problem existing within a more microcosmic scale. You’d create multiple ‘mini metas’. For example, all the people who hate Aggro would bad Aggro decks & cards and create a mini meta that strongly favored Control and Combo. It creates pocket metas with their own major problems and simply trades one kind of complaint for another.

Hypothetically, imagine if Blizzard created a third game mode called “Pick & Ban Mode” ™ where players could ban specific cards or decks. Would not such an environment quickly devolve into nothing more than a “Ban All Cards & Decks I Lose To” mode?

4 Likes

No, and I don’t really deal in slippery slope arguments. Sorry. There will always be mini metas, and they are everywhere. Whether its my casual MMR or in my little rank 8-7 window. May as well make the casual scene actually reflect the name instead of hiding behind hypotheticals. It would literally not harm anyone except the people who bring in face decks or tier 1 netdecks to grind. And I honestly don’t really care, cause they can still do that. Just not against folks who don’t want to see that deck or card anymore.

MMR created mini-metas are FAR less under the control of players. There’s no comparison between the sort of metas created by Blizzard’s opaque Casual MMR versus the kinds that would be created by players banning all Aggro decks, etc. The impact of a pick & ban system that was robust enough to satisfy the Whinerati would be like getting hit by the Death Star while the impact of MMR is like getting brushed with a goose-down feather. Oranges to spaghetti.

If some folks out there prefer to put on blinders to the direct results of what they ask for then that is of course their affair. However, people of a wiser, less myopic vision can and will rightfully weigh the consequences of these sorts design decisions.

In particular, the makers of the game are probably going to spend time considering the impact of major game design choices. It seems highly unlikely that they would just throw out a wholesale pick and ban option as a hypothetical experiment simply because there are a few salty people here and there who get their nose bent out of shape over Leeroy Jenkins.

Now - if they created some sort of Pick-And-Ban-Mode ™ that was entirely separate from Standard, Wild, Casual, and Ranked which gave no rewards then that MIGHT work. This would then become a place were people simply went to screw around and they could pick & ban cards to their heart’s content.

I think such a mode would become kind of a bunch of self-created ghost towns though. You’d have “Anti-Aggro Gulch” and “Anti-Control Hill” etc. Queuing up games would take a while as people’s private pick & ban lists would reduce their pool of eligible opponents to small fractions.

1 Like

Woof, “whinerati”, “people of a wiser, less myopic vision”, “a few salty people here and there who get their nose bent out of shape over Leeroy Jenkins”. Tell you what, when you’re finished filling up on the smell of your own smugness I’ll talk to you. Until you understand why and how you’re so damn insufferable I think I’ll just ignore you. Cheers!

1 Like

that wouldnt be casual mode
in casual mode you are supposed to be able play any deck you want high tier or not

Translated: “I have no ability to respond to the substance so I’m going to make a dive into the tall grass. Cheers!” :slight_smile:

In the end, I’m not entirely rejecting the concept of a pick and ban system. But I oppose the idea of such a system being a part of the Standard / Wild / Casual / Ranked modes of the game. That’s not the place for it.

Such a game mode could be a viable “House Rules” sort of environment that was entirely separated from the main game where people could experiment or hide away from those mean ol’ Netdecks. That seems to be a reasonable application which would give players another game mode beyond Standard and Wild.

However … such a mode would not be the Panacea that some people think it would be. It would have strong inherent weaknesses which potentially make it even more problematic than the game modes some people would be using it to escape from. I still think it would be worth including so people could use it to make the “Pauper Mode” or “Newbie Mode” or “Fun Mode” games that some folks pine for sometimes.

1 Like

How would it hurt them when they’d just ban the common stuff that’s favored against them?

This. And then more this. Finish it off with a little more this.

2 Likes