Suspend people using Ranked decks in Casual

It would hurt them in the sense that they are not actually learning to deal with the type of true meta counters they’d run into while on the ladder. Considering that one of the two reasons I see folks claim is “practice a new deck” I would hope they wouldn’t, but that’s their choice too. And add in the fact that I would support removing one of the two gold gaining avenues for this move it kind of knocks the legs out of the other reason as well (grinding). At the end of the day its just a QoL addition that keeps you from having to concede in order to find match ups that aren’t annoying you. I think there are some real, underlying benefits as well: Imagine the fun and kooky decks you could make without having to worry about certain ladder viable ones? Yes, these decks wouldn’t be good enough for ladder but who cares, this is for fun. And then going back to the point of the tier 1/2 netdecks, if they are truly wanting to practice a new deck they can ban their waffle stomps and focus on their harder match ups. Everyone wins, really.

No it isn’t. It’s quite simple: any good deck that beats the OP.

1 Like

I 100% support pick and ban mode (with no gold rewards or quest completion)

I think it would be a great way to try out experiential decks

1 Like

Casual is not a “bad deck” mode.

Casual is the same as ranked, without the gaining/losing stars.

You don’t get to choose what decks other people like to / are able to play with in casual.

Also, there’s no such thing as a “ranked deck.”

5 Likes

Why on Earth would you want to play an off meta mage deck to complete the win 3 games as mage quest? You’re far better off playing the best deck to complete the quest faster. Why would I purposefully inconvenience myself so as to not inconvenience others? You can’t be serious with this reply.

So you don’t think there is an instance where a new player might have saved up a ton of dust to purchase a meta deck and they want to test it out to see how it plays for them? Seriously?

News flash: The reason you play casual and NOT ranked is because you don’t want your current deck counting as a ranked game. People play meta decks to see what the hype is about or play meta decks to learn them, and during that process they don’t want their current game to count as a ranked game. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

2 Likes

Pffft! And by “casual” decks you mean terrible decks you can beat easily. How about no and cry more instead?

Play SP easy:star_struck:

Even if they banned legends or out a limit on cards such as number of epics or one copy of each card, etc. people would still figure out the strongest compositions and you would still have net decking . People like to win. Why is this concept so hard to understand ? You aren’t special because you CHOOSE to be free to play and no one should cater to your CHOICE. Play a different game if it bothers you that much. Games are meant to be fun, and clearly this isn’t for you .

1 Like

But how do you distinguish between causal and ranked play decks exactly?

Isnt any deck played in causal mode considered a causal deck by definition?

2 Likes

This will never happen. Telling people they cant play a certain deck would be the end of this game.

We say tongue in cheek that to the people who are complaining, any deck that beats them is a bad deck. While that’s funny to say, in the ultimate sense it really does hit pretty close to the truth.

People that complain about “Ranked decks” or “Netdecks” or “Tryhard decks” are - in essence - complaining about decks that perform well. The person complaining does not want to encounter high-performance decks because they are running a deck that is experimental, or meme, or ‘fun’ (however they define that), or whatever and their homebrew simply does not have much of a chance.

Now - in “Casual” mode the complainer reasons that they shouldn’t be running up against highly-tuned decks because they mistakenly assume the word “Casual” means “Decks That Aren’t As Good”. They are - of course - very wrong when they approach it with that mindset. Casual does not mean “Worse Decks”. Casual in Hearthstone simply means “Not ranked”.

So when the person who just wants to play their low-performance meme homebrew, they are not wanting to have it splatter against better-designed decks. They just want to run into other people who are also playing soft decks, and they’re a bit salty that “Casual” is not a place where they can reliably do that.

The counter argument is that establishing a programmatic place where a player would only encounter other ‘soft’ decks is extremely difficult … if not impossible … and really isn’t worth Blizzard’s time or effort. The game has a tool already - the Friend list - where players can find groups of similarly motivated players who also want to run soft decks. Blizzard’s reasoning is that these players should use that tool to play private matches rather than expect Blizzard to go to the effort of programming and maintaining an environment just so some players can fiddle around in Soft Deckville.

The only solution I can think of that makes any sense is to create a “House Rules” mode where players can create their own private limitations on what cards or classes they want to encounter. This mode would not have any relationship to Casual, Ranked, Standard, or Wild and probably wouldn’t be able to offer any rewards.

6 Likes

Yeah there’s no longer much variety in Hearthstone. Cards get more and more specific because there is need of new stuff but the game is too simple to allow for it. They’re nerfing the classic set to make room for new cards for crying out loud. In my opinion that’s a fault in design of the base game.
‘Class identity’ has become so important that every class now gets 2 pre-planned archetypes every expansion that get solved by theory crafters before the expac even hits!

They just need to add a third mode into the game. Ranked, Unranked, and Casual. People who normally play ranked but want to do quests or learn a new deck can use Unranked to avoid tanking their ranking but still play against serious opponents, and all the memes and homebrews can stick to casual.

You still need to programmatically define the difference between Unranked and Casual.

The difference is in name alone. There is no need (and no realistic way) to specifically ban certain decks from certain modes.

There’s already a difference in the name of the 2 modes. Adding a third name wouldn’t change anything. We don’t need 2 meta decks without stars modes; one is enough for people who can’t handle losing internet stars.

i support calling casual unranked so that we stop getting threads that complian if there are better decks

1 Like

Well, there is a kernal of truth to the argument some are making that there is a ‘gap’ that the game isn’t filling (at least in a convenient way). Ranked and Casual behave very similarly in terms of the decks that dominate the formats. As such, there really isn’t a sandbox for people who want to goof off with soft decks to play in.

Some people want it to be “Newbie” mode for new players with limited collections.
Some people want it to be “Pauper Mode” for players who want to play with lower cost decks.
Some people want it to be “Fun Mode” to play with their homebrew, meme, and lulz decks.
Some people want it to be “No Netdeck” mode where they can get away from the top meta decks that comprise most of Casual & Ranked.

However you want to slice it, there does appear to be at least a small audience for some sort of game mode that allows players with these goals to impose limits on decks beyond what you get in Casual & Ranked. That audience wouldn’t exist if Casual by itself was sufficient to the task.

That being said … this audience DOES have tools to accomplish their goals. Let’s be honest about it. This audience of players who want to further limit the game is both [A] small and [B] hopelessly fragmented. Catering to the infinite demands of this small group of people is just not worth Blizzard’s time. The Friend List really is the simplest, best way to address this group. However, for some reason these players reject this tool and want to impose their highly individual wants onto much larger game modes than makes any rational sense.

2 Likes

They would still farm casual for the 8 gold. Its MUCH faster and MUCH easier.

Had to play 20 Warlock cards.

My opponent? Mech Hunter

Galvanizer
Ursa
Hero Power for 2 Bomb Toss
Wargear
Turn 6 Snip Snap. Yep always there in the early game. Fo you want him as a 3/2 right off the bat or double up on him on 6?
Made a board of minions? Meh Hunter ALWAYS has Unleash the hounds to counter or do you one better with Alpha Wolf to boot…

Still alive by turn 7 or 8?

Okay, I guess I will drop Zephyrs and discover the card I need to finish you off like Swipe =P. These are the Hunters that Mix it up in exchange for the Auto in my hand Kill Command win turn 8.

FARM THAT CASUAL FOR GOLD! Its too rewarding and easy not to. Playing ROUTINE PATTERNS ALL DAY!

1 Like

If the only difference is the name, there’s nothing “illegal” or “wrong” about playing a Tier 1 meta deck in the new “Casual” mode. Even if there is an “Unranked” mode.

If you can not strictly define what is different between the two modes in a way a computer can handle, there is no reason to make a new mode.

2 Likes