Standard or wild

I often see messages saying do not dust your cards because otherwise wild will be harder to play, do other people like me so far never really have felt the intention to play wild?

Overall it seems like a fun experience but i can’t imagine myself having fun when playing versus decks like barnes or kingsbane each time i go and play wild.

Though a good argument for not disenchanting your cards is if you want to play adventures later, (lich king, LoE)

3 Likes

If you play during peak times then yes you will encounter tier decks more often in casual but there are a lot of custom or older tier deck from previous expaansions that people still play, i would recommend not disendchanting the cards that you have obtained because you might get bored soon again with the new expansion since many cards rotate out so standard is now even less diverse then today.

If i encounter a tier 1 deck in casual then most times i just concede and go on with it. if they need to win so desperately then i am glad to give a win to them.

If i wanted to face t1-4 decks then i will just go to rank play.

2 Likes

I fear some of us wild players have been contributing really bad about a stigma to wild mode.

I’ve posted so many miscellaneous whined about certain decks in wild that it has the effect it’s the ONLY decks people see over there. So listen up folks to some sound advice from Theman.

If you never ever play wild, you guys are at the bottom of the barrel for ranked an MMR. You’ll have some really fun games if you kinda keep it that. Just play it for fun an stuff, maybe you’ll even wanna try it competitively who knows?

Imagine some cards you crafted, like a Sunkeeper Tarim as example. 1,600 Dust for a legendary that’s obviously a good card. Now you bomb it for 400 dust /jackoffemote an are out a strong wild card an stuck with who knows what you pick for standard, it could be really bad for all we know.

I really advise thinking of atleast 2 decks to forever keep around to flaunt in wild. If you get bored of standard, it really does help.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

3 Likes

It’s up to you. If you dust your cards, you’re getting a 1/4 return on your investment.

Wild is something you grow into progressively over time. You’ll never be able to collect all Wild cards, but eventually new Standard decks find themselves capable of adapting to the Wild, and you find yourself able to join later on.

But if you dust your cards, you rob yourself of that option. Wild closes off, and the growth process starts from 0 again.

Even if you don’t care about Wild, the best advice is to hold off on dusting until you have a clear, precise idea of what to craft. Because it’s utterly pointless to destroy cards just for the dust to sit unused.

3 Likes

Standard = standard levels of p2w and extreme repetitive bordom.

Wild = wildly insane levels of p2w and slightly less repetitive bordom

1 Like

Usually I am much more a Wild player than standard.
Leaving more place for creative decks and using old card that were fun to play.
However, Blizzard kinda ruined Wild mode with some OP cards, new interactions with printed cards making Wild mode a tough and unpleasant place to be.
Example of the annoying cards of Wild that has OP synergies:
Thing From Below, Kingsbane, Raiding Party, Ressurect Big Priest synergy, Barnes, Void Caller.

So, Wild mode is not fun because control decks cannot survive against Kingsbane rogue, Odd Paladin, Even Shaman and Big Priest.

Unless Blizzard think of a way to handle the crazy synergies like how easy it is to buff Kingsbane in Wild, I recommend you to invest in Standard.

4 Likes

The interesting thing is that your experience below rank 15 can be pretty diverse. I never play past rank 14 because of try-hards but I can tell you that the most decent matchups I had happened while playing wild.

2 Likes

Odd Paladin? I think the power level of Odd Paladin is overstated. All I need to is play any Warlock variant that isn’t Discolock and they crack like an egg. Two copies of Defile, two copies of Hellfire, Godfrey, Corrupting Mist, Demonflame - basically, any Odd Paladin is better off conceding once they get a board Defiled.

1 Like

You face a larger deck variety in Wild, it’s not Barnes and Kingsbane every time until you hit higher ranks in the ladder.

Regardless, the choice is yours.

BTW Barnes is usually complained about in combination with res Priest. There’s a few other decks using him where he acts similar to a possessed lackey in Cubelock, which the community is more accepting of.

4 Likes

If you dislike standard now, wild isn’t any better. It might be more varied, but it will still house the same game plans just on hyperdrive mode.

I find both game modes to be trashcan but then I suppose I’m biased because this game is just awful now.

I only say this. When you go wild its hard to get back to standard… for me Wild is so much fun.

And i play a lot in the r5 to legend area and its rly fun and diverse

4 Likes

I almost never dust cards, but Wild is for me still a side-mode.

I recently started playing Wild more, because how boring Standard has been past expansions.

Not sure if Wild ever going to be my main game-mode… probably not, it’s just too chaotic and random. You will forever see Big Priest, Jade Druids and other cheat-decks… Those are literally the most despised decks in Hearthstone’s history. Why should I play a mode where that’s the meta? That’s why Standard stays my main game-mode until I get bored of HS or Blizzard introduces rotating Wild sets.

1 Like

What I used to do, was do quest in Wild. I would Rank up in standard, and have my meta decks there. But, not all quests would be doable with those decks. So to complete those quests, I made few Wild decks for few reasons.

1. If you are going for high Standard Ranks, then you do not need to worry of losing your Win streaks or Ranks just to complete the quest. And
  2. Wild Ranked wins also count for Golden Heroes.

So I would Rank up in standard, and try to get my highest Rank there, and in Wild, I would do my quests, and get wins for other Classes towards Golden heroes in the process.

It was a fun process for me. And by doing so, I realized that Wild is actually more diverse then Standard. Yes, there are Barns Priests, and Kingsbane Rogues out there, but they are not as dominant as you imagine. So now, I mainly play Wild now, and am not planing to return to Standard any time soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Jade Druid? Isn’t it not as powerful now? I never see it on the ladder

I agree with the sentiment that it has more variety, but I don’t understand the reasoning for being P2W. Anyone who’s tried to play competitive MtG certainly wouldn’t say that.

Wild has top-tier decks that are 4-5K dust. Many legendaries can be used in a wide variety of decks (Loatheb, Baku, Genn, Finley), which makes them a much better investment than legendaries that can only be used in 1 specific deck.

Aggro Shaman, Odd Paladin, Bloodbloom Zoo, and Pirate Warrior are all cheap. Mech Hunter is 3600 dust. I can’t speak for all of them, but Bloodbloom Zoo is very fun to play.

If you get a couple more legendaries (that, again, are used in a variety of different decks), Odd Rogue and Even Warlock often run between 6K and 7K dust.

There is a lot of variety, and you get to tap in to a large number of different play styles for investing in a few legendaries (that you get to keep for as long as you want to play Hearthstone). I think keeping your cards is a good decision.

3 Likes

idiot 20charcatersblahblah

Can’t agree on the higher P2W. The decks cost the same amount of dust roughly but in Wild they’ll never ‘rotate out’ so your investment of dust is more lasting in general. There might be a higher upfront cost to Wild just because of some of the much older cards but the long-term Wild is cheaper and I don’t think you can really debate it being anything other than that tbh.

2 Likes

Close, liked for close.

More like:
Standard = absolutely zero-room to be nonomet. Basic/Classic that’s it.
This is not-debatable, there are not enough cards to create non-meta cores of that actually can operate with any consistency.

This is standard’s problem, too-few cards to not-be-just-like-everyone else. Super eww, ik, it really sucks. U like being the-exact same deck-core as everyone else…w coups flexies swapped round? That’s not a whole new deck…it’s flexy-swap.

Wild = enough room to be creative, but because old-cores don’t rotate, they remain cemented. So, new expansions introducing a new-core or supporting a 1/2 3/4 core or so that’s "almost there’ to get it functional, are the only way fresh comes into Wild.

Old cores w new support card(s)? Idk…would a Wild Big Priest or Odd Pally or so getting some just-barely more powerful card into it’s VIP 30 , really make the deck feel different to face? No, because the card wouldn’t be core.

So, HS basically boils down to.
Play standard if you don’t mind being exactly the same as everyone else.
Play Wild if you want to at least try to win with nonmeta cards…against usually the same, sometimes different deck-cores than Standard has…just supercharged with supporting cards.

Example Big Priest.
Wild’s is way stronger…same feeling facing it in Stand or Wild.

Recall in Wild the mode is warped around a 2-card combo…because one reason people play aggro, not the only reason, and absolutely one-reason, is because Shadowstepping Lights is A common enough and B deletes almost all non aggro decks and any-synergy you can imagine. So, ppl play aggro, and then Shadowstep Light’s w/r isn’t great because of that counter RPS. Howevs, on the forums ppl quote that w/r as "bad deck, no-warp happened’ which is redic.

So the lessor of the 2 bads is Wild for sure.
The problem is, the pros cons of rotation for Wild haven’t been talked about enough. There are pro’s to rotating wild w/o creating a new format. There are pro’s to balancing wild w/o a new format too.

One thing is for certain…HS’s devs should talk about “is 4 months too long to keep interest in this game between expansions?”. For me it’s an obvi abso-yes. 3 months would be what the target should be for ‘ok, new content, you all have to deckbuild now, instead of play what you know and expect’. 4 months is too-long period end right?

Who has fun playing HS month 3, and especially the dreaded month-4 like r/n? It’s so predictable, and so obvious your opponent is playing meta weather they built it or looked it up.

HS’s biggest problem is “play meta/expected/transparent or don’t win”.
It’s super gross. Flex cards don’t mean it’s a new-core.

I see it once in a while.

Every Druid I face is pretty much a Jade Druid.

According to HSReplay it’s literally the strongest deck of Druid, with a whopping 63+% winrate. So yea, it’s darn powerful.

1 Like

I’d caution on using HSR’s winrates on decks because of how HSR does it. It has to have the EXACT 30 out of 30 cards and be piloted to, for Wild, I think 200 games by 4 different people.

So while yes, the top Jade decks in HSR show-up in the low 60% WRs that isn’t high compared to if you look at all Wild decks where you’re looking at, righ tnow, high 60% WRs (top is Even Shaman deck list at 68.3%).

Vs’ archetype breakdown, which should be including more, shows jade Druid at a respectable tier 3 and due to the lower volume of games over a greater timeframe that is, yet again, only a minor guideline of a deck’s power.

I guess what I am saying is that both HSR and Vs’ data needs to eb taken with a bit of salt for different reasons. Jade Druid is a competent deck but it isn’t crazy powerful and is certainly not played that much in Wild right now.

3 Likes