Standard and your matchmaking system

No, I’m just replying to your statement.

“To clarify, I am suggesting that if someone sees no problems in a game, that probably means other players see many. A balance needs to be struck so as players of different tastes can play and have fun.”

So, I was just pointing out a scenario where your idea doesn’t really work. Like, you seemed to be suggesting that if people saw no problem, then others would see a problem, and thus you have to balance it. By your statement, 1 or half of people could see no problem and it’d be an issue. Like, what if the game was too complicated for most people, but one person was simply a master, and they were sick of losing to that person? I dunno, I just see an inherent flaw in your statement.

I think what you mean to say is: a lot of people aren’t happy, so they aren’t spending money on our game anymore…we need to change it so they spend more money. Like, I think the issue is that you are speaking as if business balance games to make people happy when they really do it for money.

That’s fine by me. I wasn’t trying to seriously argue the point. :neutral_face: I was proposing a potential problem with an individual enjoying a game entirely. But, hey, there’s probably no inherent problem there.

That’s not why I brought up RNG here.

Ack! YOUR FACE!

Anyhow, as for the coding thing, I don’t see how anyone could possibly be certain there isn’t hidden code somewhere in the game. Like, card ids could just be linked that way to mmr. It seems crazy to me, but not impossible. If you’re not looking for it, things can be missed, too. And would linking card ID to MMR or something like it be illegal? I don’t think so.

No one is saying they are certain there is no hidden code.

People are saying, “Okay, what’s your evidence of hidden code?”

Then people say, “well, I have this anecdote I have noticed and you can’t prove it doesn’t exist.” All of which is logical fallacy.

Expand on this… what specifically do you think that would do? How would you detect it?

Lies of omission are lies. They have explained the match criteria publicly, and if there’s more going on that would be fraud.

1 Like

What do you mean how I would detect it?

(FYI, I’m not arguing this is happening, lets just continue accepting this a thought experiment of sorts)

1 Like

If it’s no different from random matching, then it isn’t doing anything. If we can’t detect this connection’s effect on the match, why would we care?

Well, I can’t prove a negative, so…

Well, it would be different. The only way you’d have to detect it is through player experience. Like, it could just be a 1% increase, so it wouldn’t really mean anything in the data. But then you look at how coincidences can happen in a game, and especially like one where you have a very small deck size. So, first game, Priest naturally opens Holy Nova. Second game, Priest muls into it. Third game, 1% bumps Holy Nova into Priest hand. And no one is the wiser…

Why commit fraud and also expend resources for a 1% bump in probability? The argument best fit against that assertion, I think, is that people don’t work that way. Businesses, namely Blizzard, don’t/doesn’t work that way.

Risk vs Reward

No?

Profit, of course. It’s always about profit. They want to reward the activity they like (that which makes people spend money on cards). So, your cheap rogue deck has a decreased WR so you have to buy the new cards if you want to win.

I don’t see that happening if we’re seriously talking about a nefarious, hidden code that bumps odds by 1%. There’s no practical reason for it. The risk greatly outweighs the benefit, should that ever come out. It’d also make the company look dumber than it already does, and open for lawsuit. Would that 1% bump really make enough profit to justify the risks involved?

I’d venture to guess: no.

1 Like

Car companies will intentionally leave known flaws in a car rather than pull the car because even if someone is killed, they’d lose more money pulling the car than paying the damages. Companies will do anything out of greed if they think it’ll make them a profit. They’ve already been rigging the game for years. They’ve well made their money. Why stop now?

Again, I’m not saying they are doing that. I’m just presenting a possible argument.

I had a delicious cheeseburger today! It was juicy and delicious. Greed Druid.

2 Likes

You know, I know this steak doesn’t exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, Hearthstone is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize?

Takes a bite of steak

Greed Druid.

2 Likes

They didn’t bro, that’s the point.

1 Like

Players are hardly capable of noticing that. Unless there’s a significant change in WR, most people are never gonna notice they won one game more than their last set of a 100.

There must be a perceptible, player-seen result só that it can generate money.

People look at stats and see winrates of cards. Don’t forget, a deck needs a 51% winrate to be successful. They can be doing it to multiple cards to drag down a deck. A player can easily tell if they aren’t winning 51% of games as their rank won’t go up.

Yeah, so? Seeing a card go up by 1% won’t make much of a difference for any player

My bro, if Blizzard is rigging things to make you win 1% more, you won’t see it in the first 10 games. You won’t have 51% win rate across 20-30 games.
You’d have to play about 100 games (which is a absurd amount for most players), and then 100 more, and go: Hmmmmmm, I won /lost a single game more than before. Must be rigged

1 Like

Talking about making you lose, not win. But yeah, could go both ways…promoting new cards the oher way, making the cards they don’t want you playing seem even worse.

You’re not understanding the statistics properly. If cards are dropping a decks win rate under 51%, not only will it be noticed by the player, but it’ll be represented on card win rates. Like, I dunno what to tell you. If ya don’t get it, ya don’t get it.